SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#389901 - 06/20/14 10:07 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Too bad you cannot sue the bastards for a botched job.
Good Luck,
Gary cool

There might be a case for a malpractice suit if you can show they screwed up ...

#389902 - 06/20/14 10:29 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: tony mads usa]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Tony,
2 years ago I had the Crystal Lens you hear so much about implanted in both of my eyes. Wow! what a mistake!!! Since then I have have a detached retina twice in my left eye and the lens in my right eye does not work as advertised - in that it does not focus near and far as need like a normal eye. Today I too wear very expensive glasses. All this cost me $7500.00 out of pocket.

I did in fact contact several law firms and could not get anyone to take an interest in the case. Seems like the cap on malpractice suits or manufacturer defect cases has chased a lot of the law firms out of the business. Really pissed me off.

Deane

#389903 - 06/20/14 10:34 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
That surgery was 25 years ago and at that time I was thrilled just to see all the brilliant colors again. The problem was caused by the anesthetic used to disable the eye muscles during surgery which occasionally damages the muscle itself. It is not a lens issue. Have had two following surgeries (strabismus) in which the muscle is detached from the eye and reconnected in a different place. Didn't work . . .

#389915 - 06/20/14 01:54 PM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I was told by the eye doctor that performed the surgery the success rate with the lenses I opted for were rated very high, had a 99.9 percent success rate, and I would never have to wear glasses again. What a crock! The next doctor I went to told me the truth - success rate on these particular lenses was approximately 75 percent at best - wonderful! You can only guess who fell into the 25-percent failure rate.

I contacted a lawyer and he said forget it. He said these cases take many years, are very expensive, and quite frequently do not have a successful outcome in Maryland. Right now, my vision is perfect without glasses as long is the object is between two and three feet away.

Gettin' old ain't fer wimps and sissies,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#389920 - 06/20/14 03:14 PM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Here's a different tablet holder. Maybe not applicable for most, but it's another take on holding your tablet.

http://www.nomorerack.com/daily_deals/vi...der_for_tablets

#389926 - 06/20/14 11:19 PM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bob Hendershot]
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Bob

Thanks for the excellent input. This is the kind of stuff that really helps our keyboard community.

I really look forward to anything you have to say about any of the large tablets.

The android prices are right. And while the Windows version of yours is as you say better it seems that it's not really necessary to spend the $1000 - $1500 for them.

I have MobileSheets. It seems pretty good and the developer is working at adding things that people are asking for. Everyone I have talked to or have read are suggesting that MobileSheets is the app to go to for lead sheets.

Also, I noticed you used a pdf viewer app. This is one good possibility too. There are a number of free pdf apps for android that has editing and annotation capabilities. Deane may have preferred this method when he was trying the large Samsung. Then you can have folders alphabetical, by genre, gig lists, etc.

#389963 - 06/23/14 07:13 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Scott, I'm having second thoughts about MobileSheets. Have been working with the free version while I wait for the 13 inch Android tablet. Edits done with MobileSheets do not change the PDF file and are layered on top of the original sheet. Like the Freehand software for the MPP, you lose all your edits if you later change to something else. It also means that I can't use the same PDF library for both PC and Android work. MobileSheets creates a complex data base index of the library, and the files that have been imported to the software are not accessible elsewhere. It is an elaborate software that does about anything you could ever want but that also makes it excessively complex. My dad used to say, "You don't need an 18 wheeler to do a job you could do with a pickup".

I would prefer something simple. I don't need automatic scrolling and that sort of stuff. I always work in the portrait mode and just need to change pages by tapping the display or using a foot switch. I want something that I can use to create set lists as well as giving me easy access to my library. And, I want to do some highlighting and that sort of thing to help me with sight reading.

I have contacted the MusicReader folks to see if they have their Android version available yet. Meanwhile, you mentioned that there were Android PDF readers with editing capability available. Can you steer me toward one?

#389983 - 06/24/14 02:15 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bob Hendershot]

Hi Bob

I haven't had much time to do anything serious with this yet. I've got the free MobileSheets version also and have only tinkered with it without reading the manual.

I can tell you that your issue about annotations only working in that app are going to be updated according to the forum on his website.

What I have discovered so far regarding pdf apps is that you can make edits on Adobe but I have found that program renders the music too slowly. I just got an update on it maybe that will help. Otherwise, the fastest app for rendering a pdf I have found is Radaee PDF Viewer, which I discovered also has editing features. Both these apps will show your annotations on your computer I have found using Adobe and also PDF-XChange Editor. PDF-EChange also allows you to edit on your computer and what you save will work on your tablet. This is something I was really hoping I'd find and this is the combination that seems to be best so far.

Also, although one may exist, I have not found one that does everything, such as you mentioned tap on a page to turn it. For this I have discovered a popular app called PDF Reader. It has 5,000,000 downloads. This should tell us a lot right there. I do not believe it has an edit feature but using a combination of a couple apps is a workaround that doesn't bother me.

As far as set lists while not using MobileSheets, which has great features for things like this along with whatever category you want to use whether alpha, genre, etc., One could use a PDF app and have a gig list folder. In the simplest form they would be in alpha order. But, another way is what I have done occasionally on my laptop, which is to use PDF Split and Merge to make a gig book with one song after another in the order you choose. It is easy to do and doesn't take long.

I'll include some links to these apps to help you get started.

Adobe Reader with editor:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.adobe.reader

Radaee Viewer with editor:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=radaee.pdf

PDF Reader:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.foobnix.pdf.reader

PDF XChange:

http://download.cnet.com/PDF-XChange-Viewer/3000-10743_4-10598377.html

PDF Split and Merge:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfsam/

MobileSheets site with forum etc:

http://www.zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/

Hope this helps.

ScottL

#389984 - 06/24/14 02:24 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Scott Langholff]

To check out my suspision about the GigEasy tablet holder stating on their site that specifically it won't fit the Hannspree and mentions no others. Yet, here is the answer I got from them when I asked if it did fit any 13.3" tablets:

"Unfortunately, at this time the Universal mount does not accommodate any tablets over 13". We do not have plans/ideas just yet on making it adjust for those dimensions but you can sign up for our newsletter and we will announce any changes that may happen."

So, obviously, the Hannspree is the one that everyone is inquiring about to the exclusion of all other 13.3 tablets basically. Another clue I think I will follow when I get the time to get one:)

ScottL

#389992 - 06/24/14 06:20 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Thank you, Scott. It looks like the best of the list you provided would be the Radaee Viewer for my purposes. I'll load it into the tablet I have, to take a look.

I don't need lots of search options for songs and can work with an alphabetic list as I build a set list or select songs from the library. I am looking at Orpheus Sheet Music Reader at this time.

http://www.orpheus-app.com/

It looks like it fits my needs but want to find out how it handles the PDF files. I am hoping for something that works like the Windows "Music Reader" software that actually changes the PDF file with any edits you do. That would make the PDF library usable with other PDF readers.

It looks like I'm back to using the Hannspree tablet. Waited almost a week for shipment of the Archos unit and finally found that it was back-ordered. Canceled that and reordered the Hannspree. Should be here by Wednesday.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online