SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#389810 - 06/16/14 07:16 AM Yamaha Survey for Tyros 5 owners
Tyrosman5
Unregistered

Hope all you Tyros 5 owners fill out the survey that is being sent to all owners. I'ts our chance to vent of dislikes and
to check off what we like and what we don't. Yamaha is on the
ball asking what we think of the Tyros 5. This is helpful to
all of us so filler out ! Lloyd

#389826 - 06/16/14 02:23 PM Re: Yamaha Survey for Tyros 5 owners [Re: ]
Tyrosman5
Unregistered

Did you register your Tyros 5 with Yamaha? If not, you will not
receive the survey. Lloyd

#389834 - 06/17/14 05:23 AM Re: Yamaha Survey for Tyros 5 owners [Re: ]
Tyrosman5
Unregistered

No interest. Dead Lloyd

#389835 - 06/17/14 06:42 AM Re: Yamaha Survey for Tyros 5 owners [Re: ]
Anthony Johnson Offline

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England
It might have been a good idea for Yamaha to ask registered Tyros 4 owners, such as me, why we decided to stay with the T4 instead of trading it in for the T5.
It is however, a step in the right direction, for Yamaha to start wondering what the customers want.
Tony

#389836 - 06/17/14 07:05 AM Re: Yamaha Survey for Tyros 5 owners [Re: ]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Tony, Yamaha is one of the few companies that has always done this. Not only have they done it several times, even on the forums, with arranger keyboards, but they also do it for owners of other Yamaha products, outboard motors, jet skis, guitars, you name it, and they want to know how to make it better. As a prior owner of a Yamaha outboard motor, I can tell you they have the best of the best, I really loved my Yamaha 12 String Guitar, and after registering both the motor and guitar for warranty I received a lengthy questionnaire about both products, which I promptly filled out and sent back to them in a postage paid envelope they supplied. However, if you don't fill out the warranty information and mail it in, they have no idea who purchased their products, or why.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#389845 - 06/17/14 09:08 PM Re: Yamaha Survey for Tyros 5 owners [Re: travlin'easy]
Henni Offline

Loc: South Africa
Hi Gary,

I fully agree on the Yamaha outboard motors. They are the best of the best and once again I own a Yamaha 225 on a boat & I'm absolutely elated with it.

Cheers,

Henni.

#389846 - 06/18/14 12:27 AM Re: Yamaha Survey for Tyros 5 owners [Re: ]
Anthony Johnson Offline

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England
Hi Gary,
Yamaha may be good at sending out surveys, but do they take note of what the people have said?

Just consider the "Wish Lists" on most of the keyboard forums (one of them, at least, was being monitored by Yamaha). I have made many suggestions myself on these but can't recall any of these requests being acted upon except one (Yes, they finally produced a 76 note Tyros after many years of begging).

I don't have time to go through these requests but the same things have been requested by many Yamaha users and have still not been implemented.

My Tyros 4 was an expensive keyboard, the Tyros 5 even more so and I would expect more then a few very small improvements for that kind of money.

Just my personal view but I know there are many other T4 owners who share it.
Best wishes,
Tony

#389849 - 06/18/14 06:21 AM Re: Yamaha Survey for Tyros 5 owners [Re: ]

Tony, by and large, Yamaha has responded positively to the requests made by both home and pro players. Several months ago I listed many of the requests the acted upon on this and other forums. Yamaha actually posted a thread titled Yamaha Listens.

Obviously, some requests were not acted upon, and the reasons behind this are known to Yamaha only. I suspect some of the requests did not make good business, or economic sense, though. The response overall by Yamaha, over the years, has been positive, and their technical support has been excellent.

Gary cool

#389850 - 06/18/14 06:46 AM Re: Yamaha Survey for Tyros 5 owners [Re: ]
billyhank Offline

I think it is interesting tho how Yamaha very careful does not ask certain questions - maybe they don't want to see the answer in some cases.

I know for a fact that we have been requesting Yamaha give us access to Registrations from the Music Finder for over 12 years now and it could be easily done, but several folks in the UK, who have Yamaha's ear, think it unnecessary because they just want to sit and play and play.

Bill G

#389851 - 06/18/14 06:58 AM Re: Yamaha Survey for Tyros 5 owners [Re: billyhank]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: billyhank
I know for a fact that we have been requesting Yamaha give us access to Registrations from the Music Finder for over 12 years now and it could be easily done,

Survey ? Ha!
Money comes first for them, .......their units are selling well worldwide so they see no need to change quickly,......instead they just milk the profits from the buyers year after year with very small changes,...
T4 to T5 is a perfect example. wink

And the S950 successor is way over due also.

#389852 - 06/18/14 07:23 AM Re: Yamaha Survey for Tyros 5 owners [Re: ]
billyhank Offline

It is very interesting how Yamaha with the release of the T5 deleted all reference to making your own voices and entering your wave sounds from the manuals and did not offer the Voice Editing software either until there was much dust kicked up by all those who had had the previous Tyros models.

They obviously intended to end that part of the keyboard!

It will be a very long time coming for the promised Voice editing software.

#389853 - 06/18/14 07:41 AM Re: Yamaha Survey for Tyros 5 owners [Re: billyhank]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: billyhank
It is very interesting how Yamaha with the release of the T5 deleted all reference to making your own voices and entering your wave sounds from the manuals and did not offer the Voice Editing software either until there was much dust kicked up by all those who had had the previous Tyros models.

They obviously intended to end that part of the keyboard!

It will be a very long time coming for the promised Voice editing software.

it's strategy to lead you to buy a Motif synth etc to create and edit your own sounds..

#389854 - 06/18/14 07:47 AM Re: Yamaha Survey for Tyros 5 owners [Re: ]
Tyrosman5
Unregistered

The Tyros 5 has many new features. I switched from Tyros 4 and it's a whole new machine. I am very happy with what Yamaha has done and am a very satisfied customer. It's easy to bash any
company if they don't supply exactly what each customer thinks
is necessary. I for one think Yamaha makes one heck of a keyboard. I have owned Korg and Roland but the Yamaha does it
all for me. Lloyd

#389856 - 06/18/14 08:17 AM Re: Yamaha Survey for Tyros 5 owners [Re: ]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Tyrosman5
The Tyros 5 has many new features. I switched from Tyros 4 and it's a whole new machine. I am very happy with what Yamaha has done and am a very satisfied customer. It's easy to bash any
company if they don't supply exactly what each customer thinks
is necessary. I for one think Yamaha makes one heck of a keyboard. I have owned Korg and Roland but the Yamaha does it
all for me. Lloyd

It's all about needs,....A pro player needs certain features that a home player might not necessarily need. The MFD being one of them hardly changed in years, display size also,....but,sounds & styles are their strengths not many complaints there, .....
it's everything else regarding design & navigational features imo.. especially when you see other manufacturers like KORG offer many of them.

Edited by Dnj (06/18/14 08:18 AM)

#389872 - 06/19/14 10:44 AM Re: Yamaha Survey for Tyros 5 owners [Re: ]

Not everyone offers the same features, which is quite obvious. Fortunately, Yamaha listens, which is the title of the thread if anyone wants to take the time to look it up in the archives.

A lot of pro players on this and other forums asked for a change in color, back to basic black. Yamaha provided us with some basic black keyboards.

Players asked for brighter, LED type displays that could be seen outdoors. For the first time in decades of playing outdoors, I was able to clearly see my display on the newly acquired S-950, and I did not need to use a custom hood to shade the display. I'm told that the T5 display is similar, but have no first hand knowledge of this.

Players asked for SA voices that they could actually play instead of just use them inside styles - Yamaha gave us a huge number of these incredible voices.

Players asked for a Music Finder Directory that could access styles from sources other than just the keyboard's onboard and user memory. Yamaha responded with new software that now allows us to access Music Finder Styles directly from the USB storage drive(s).

Yamaha continues to improve it's direct internet connection via the Host connection of the keyboard. I'm not aware of any other arranger keyboard manufacturer with this feature.

Players asked for the ability to utilize MP3 and Midi files directly from the keyboard's USB storage device, and access them via Registrations - Yep, we can now do that.

Yamaha also changed it's keypads to a new material that seems to be more resilient and tolerates the abuse of those Jerry Lee type players better. It also added a bit more resistance to the key pressure, which some players seem to prefer.

Players asked for brighter, LED button lights that could be seen while performing outdoors - We now have them.

Players asked for a better vocal processor and improved vocal harmony - IMO, this feature has shown great strides since the Tyros 3 and PSR-3000 days. The newer vocal processors are far superior.

Players asked for improved onboard sound systems in the PSR series so they could utilize the onboard sound system for small jobs. The onboard sound system in the S950 is absolutely incredible.

Players asked for a way to record their vocal performances directly to the keyboard - Yamaha responded with a great onboard USB recording system.

Players wanted to keep the keyboard as lightweight as possible, despite the addition of large speakers, and other internal hardware. Yamaha managed to do this, while at the same time provided a rugged, acrylic enclosure that can easily withstand the rigors of a performing musician.

Players asked for many new types of styles, and Yamaha once again stepped up to the plate, providing hundreds of new onboard styles, while in addition, making significant improvement to the older, existing styles.

Am I a big Yamaha fan? You bet your a$$ I am and for good reason. I, like many forum members, have owned a lot of other brands. And they all had their own attributes, but IMHO, none have come remotely close to providing what Yamaha has provided for ME over the past decade. That said, I have not owned or extensively played an Audya, though I did get to spend a short time on it at AJ's apartment in Edgewood, MD one day. It was impressive, but not exactly what I wanted with the overall sound. I have owned Roland, Korg, and in reality, during the short period I owned them they sounded great and got the job done.

Obviously, Yamaha would not be in the arranger keyboard business very long if the acquiesced to every, single, individual's wants and needs. However, I sincerely believe they have done a fantastic job of meeting the needs of MOST pro and home players alike with the products they produced over the past two decades. For those that don't agree, well, keep in mind that you still have other options, such as purchasing an arranger from another manufacturer, one that may not listen. wink

Cheers,

Gary cool

#389881 - 06/19/14 01:39 PM Re: Yamaha Survey for Tyros 5 owners [Re: ]
Tyrosman5
Unregistered

Gary,
I truly enjoyed your input about Yamaha. So many do not realize all the advances that Yamaha has made. Your input tells it like it is. Thanks for that. Lloyd

#389886 - 06/19/14 03:45 PM Re: Yamaha Survey for Tyros 5 owners [Re: ]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hate to dissolution you all but Yamaha has bought nothing new to the camp that wasn’t available years before on workstations and DAWs. (In most cases the new features they do add are what have been available on other manufactures arrangers for a number of years)

As to hardware upgrades they just fitted the replacements to the original hardware due to it no longer being produced.

The only thing Yamaha has done with their arrangers, is added easy play modes to some older professional features so that Home Users (The primary target market of all arrangers) can enjoy themselves with little knowledge or practice required. (Effectively they give you all the easy play features first introduced in organs, in a small keyboard instrument that thousands of home users can easily make beautiful music with)

Yamaha are great for playing along to, but way too limited if you want to do your own thing, whereas Korg on the other hand are the opposite in that you have to put the work in to get the best out of it, but they have the advantage that you can make it your own, instead of sounding like everyone else. (Roland is in the middle, with the other manufactures offering unique features which you either love or hate)

As to surveys, then if you have registered your product or have registered to receive news from the manufactures then you also get the surveys. (Pretty much the norm with all keyboards manufactures)

Enjoy whatever you play

Bill

#389896 - 06/20/14 02:00 AM Re: Yamaha Survey for Tyros 5 owners [Re: ]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
You should set a poll on this forum. When you start up a topic just click on Poll Manager at the bottom and it will let you set up a poll.

#389908 - 06/20/14 12:03 PM Re: Yamaha Survey for Tyros 5 owners [Re: abacus]
Tyrosman5
Unregistered

You don't dissolution any of us Yamaha guys. Lloyd

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online