SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#389712 - 06/13/14 07:32 AM What is Your Opening SONG & Why?
Dnj Offline

I usually open with
Carolina In The Morning & Shanty Town..

Lets me check room sound levels and puts smiles on peoples faces as they sing along.

#389713 - 06/13/14 08:05 AM Re: What is Your Opening SONG & Why? [Re: Dnj]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I usually open with a patriotic song like God Bless America,Tie A Yellow Ribbon, or My Land Is Your Land, as well as service songs. It varies on the occasion and venue.

It is always snappy.

#389714 - 06/13/14 08:21 AM Re: What is Your Opening SONG & Why? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
How Can I Get Over You til You Get Out From Under Him . . .

#389715 - 06/13/14 08:25 AM Re: What is Your Opening SONG & Why? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
There was a time when I played the same opener - the same one DonM used to play, Swingin Doors A Jukebox And A Barstool, but those days are long gone. Now, I look at the crowd, make an assessment, and go to work. Rarely play the same opener twice in a month. However, I always play the same closer - Show Me The Way To Go Home. smile Everyone knows it, I use an upbeat Jive style, and more often than not, they're still singing the song when I'm packing up to leave the building. Gotta keep em smiling! smile

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#389716 - 06/13/14 08:44 AM Re: What is Your Opening SONG & Why? [Re: Dnj]
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Really depends on the vibe I pick up in the room, any circumstances that may come to my attention, is it a holiday, etc?

I'm in a the same boat as Gary, more or less...

Quick story:

Played a client a few weeks ago, where I play about 18 times a year. This is a younger audience, they really love 70's stuff. "Linda" was fighting poor health on multiple fronts and she hadn't made it to the performance for a month or two.

As I was about to start, I asked, "Where's Linda?"

The answer came back from the group. "Oh, she passed a couple weeks ago..."

You do what we do and hearing of someone's passing becomes a regular occurrence. Usually, I move right along without missing a beat. For whatever reason, hearing of her death caused me to just take a moment and reflect. Spontaneous, heartfelt, genuine. This group and I are very close, and they knew immediately this had touched a nerve.

After about ten seconds, I let out a big sigh that everyone heard. I told a story of how Linda always came down to the shows, always asked for a hug afterwards, always treated me like gold. I said "Linda only ever had one request. Tonight, we'll start with it in her memory. Cool?"

"Yes, yes...do it, Bill..."

I then played an acoustic version with piano and some light background strings of Elton John's "Your Song." It was pretty cool...

We then went immediately into Everyday People by Sly & the Family Stone and the party was on.

Sigh...

Best. Job. Ever.

Edited by Bill in Dayton (06/13/14 08:44 AM)

#389718 - 06/13/14 08:56 AM Re: What is Your Opening SONG & Why? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Bill would love to hear you do "Everyday People" by Sly..especially on a Arranger KB..

#389719 - 06/13/14 09:11 AM Re: What is Your Opening SONG & Why? [Re: Dnj]
Bill in Dayton Offline

I have a recording (albeit a rough one, lol) from this same account.

Crossroads Gig Crossroads

Everyday is a 5th tune, I think....

#389720 - 06/13/14 09:26 AM Re: What is Your Opening SONG & Why? [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Bill in Dayton
I have a recording (albeit a rough one, lol) from this same account.

Crossroads Gig Crossroads

Everyday is a 5th tune, I think....

Bill nice job....enjoyed listening clap the only thing which is a pet peeve of mine is the "long time in between your songs" I usually have 0 to 5 seconds tops,.......
this is to keep people on the dance floor and keep the energy & program moving at a steady pace throughout the set.
thanx for sharing.

#389721 - 06/13/14 09:30 AM Re: What is Your Opening SONG & Why? [Re: Dnj]
Bill in Dayton Offline

Thanks Don, Keep in mind this is a nursing home, not a "dance" per se. The pacing I use at NH's is different than what I use for my dance gigs...

smile

#389722 - 06/13/14 09:43 AM Re: What is Your Opening SONG & Why? [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Bill in Dayton
Thanks Don, Keep in mind this is a nursing home, not a "dance" per se. The pacing I use at NH's is different than what I use for my dance gigs...

smile

Ah ok without video it sounded like a dance setting.....
I stand corrected..that explains it carry on! keys

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online