SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#389659 - 06/11/14 04:55 PM Time for a new digital sheet music system...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Friends,

I've been using a Music Pad Pro for as long as I can remember. Mine still works but I think its time to transition to something newer.

I'm starting this search with fairly few preconceptions. I know some use a laptop, some use an Ipad type device, etc.

I have a pretty open mind about what direction I wind up going, with the following concerns:

1) No pedals involved...
2) I would like it to be safely mountable or positioned at or near the center/front of my keyboard...
3) I would like a fairly straightforward scanning process from start to finish. I would prefer to avoid another proprietary file conversion situation.
4) I would like a user friendly screen size....nothing too small...

What do you suggest?
What should I give special attention to?

Thanks as always!!!

Edited by Bill in Dayton (06/11/14 04:56 PM)

#389664 - 06/11/14 06:41 PM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Glad you brought this question up, Bill. My wife pretty much uses our iPad and I sold my mini, so I don't really want to g that rote. My friend says he uses a $99 Android tablet and a program where he can use resident files or download words and chords right from the net if there is access. I'd too would like to hear what others are using, especially non iPad.

#389665 - 06/11/14 07:29 PM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: cassp]
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
I wouldn't count the iPad out!

I use my iPad with forScore, and it provides great quality, using PDFs that you can create in your own way, allows easy upload from dropbox, easy creation of playlists (setlists), and has great capability for annotation. If you ever change to another system, you'll already have all your PDFs ready to quickly get up and running.

With regard to mounting it, I just use the keyboard music stand at home, but on gigs I mount it using a gig-easy fixed on a gooseneck fitted at the end of a mic stand. That allows me to bring the small iPad closer in and so making it easier for my aging eyes to read, and I believe, makes it less obtrusive to the audience! smile

#389668 - 06/11/14 07:48 PM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Bill, my vision is too poor to read stuff on an iPad. I initially used Music Reader software for windows because it had an excellent software utility that batch converted all my Freehand files to PDF. The batch conversion to PDF does not pick up edits done with the MPP software so any notes on the sheets done with the MPP software are lost. I used a 13 inch windows tablet and the display was much better than the MPP. I do not have an android tablet to check but Music Reader supposedly has an android version now.

I have no knowledge of other alternatives so can not compare it with others. I eventually reverted back to the Music Pad because it does the job I need and does it well.

#389672 - 06/11/14 08:26 PM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Bill,
I have been using an iPad to read lead sheets in PDF form for over 5 years. I now have nearly 6000 of them on my iPad. I have used two different programs - GoodReader and now I am using UnrealBook. Both programs cost me under $5.00 each and work really great. I am using the universal tablet mount from GigEasy which fits nicely on a mic stand.

I had a retina detachment in one eye two years ago and I can still see the iPad display just fine with one eye. About 4 months ago I purchased a Galaxy Pro 12.2 tablet which actually is a real beauty. I then purchased one of the two or three programs designed for musicians and it really was a loser. Compared to what was available for the iPad it was a no brainer to return the Galaxy Pro and replace it with the new iPad Air - cost $600.00.

In my opinion - based on 5 years real world experience - I doubt you can beat the iPad for lead sheets or lyrics. I don't recommend it for folks who want to display full piano scores. Bye the way, before I started using an iPad I used a laptop and there were lots of issues such as having to carry a music stand and things like turning pages when necessary required the use of a special plug-in device. The iPad is much less complicated.

Deane

#389679 - 06/12/14 06:52 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Bill in Dayton Offline

Anyone hear of or using Onsong Onsong?

Edited by Bill in Dayton (06/12/14 06:53 AM)

#389680 - 06/12/14 07:30 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Another iPad user here. Bought one the day they were released in 2010. Based on a recommendation from Mikey Maestro (former participant here) I purchased unReal book and having been using it since. Hands down at least for me it works better than other apps available. I retired my Music Pad Pro shortly after buying the iPad.

I have tried OnSong too, it's not for me.

#389683 - 06/12/14 08:00 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#389684 - 06/12/14 10:00 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: travlin'easy]
Bill in Dayton Offline

Gary-

Please describe your digital sheet music system...

Thanks!

#389690 - 06/12/14 01:01 PM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]

Bill, I don't read, at least not enough to mess me up while playing. However, I have hundreds of lyrics files stored that I utilize using MS Word, files that have tabs, which I like much better than the dots. Everything is listed alphabetically by song title, a single click of the mouse and in a fraction of a second, it's on the PC screen.

I use an Acer Aspire1, which has a 9-inch screen and the display is easy for me to read from up to 6 feet away. Not bad considering I'm old and had eye surgery two years ago. Yeah, I still wear bifocals, but I can read the screen without them.

You could do the same thing using the dots with Adobe Acrobat Reader as well, and use the dots. The console unit that sits upon the top tier of my keyboard stand is just an inch above the top of the keyboard, and it serves several purposes. Not only does it make a great platform for the laptop, it also contains all the keyboard power supplies, my TC Helicon Harmony-M, a great surge protector with a built in ground fault indicator, and strip lights that provide a soft light to the top of the keyboard and illuminates a sign on the front of the console. The console is made of 1/8th inch aluminum plate, and I have a Lexan platform on top for the keyboard and strip light. It weights, including the laptop, less than 12 pounds. The laptop is Velcro'd to the top of the console and stay in place all the time. The beauty of the console is that most everything stays plugged in, thus when you arrive at the venue, there is very little to do when setting up other than plug the other ends of the cables into the keyboard and PA.

Hope this helps,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (06/12/14 01:03 PM)

#389692 - 06/12/14 01:23 PM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
hammer Offline

Bill,
You have a PM.

Deane

#389695 - 06/12/14 02:07 PM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
If you need something REALLY big, try this (see my post):

http://www.synthzone.com/forum/ubbthread...ing_#Post384938

It's the Dell XPS-18 ... a bit pricier than an iPad, but it is HUGE (18"), works well with MusicReader app (and likely others), and it's a full-fledged PC (downside for some will be that it runs Windows, not a "tablet" OS) ...

Jim

#389697 - 06/12/14 03:49 PM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: travlin'easy]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Gary,

I can read it from here 400mi away.

It is yor setup and lyrics for You are always on my mind.

Can you take a picture of the setup with the lights on?

Regards,

Jerryghr

#389698 - 06/12/14 06:10 PM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Bill in Dayton Offline

Wanted to take a moment and thank Mr. Deane Peters for his kindness and expertise in a very enjoyable phone conversation this evening. How nice of him to take the time he did and offer to speak with me about his experience with the Ipad Air.

Thank You, Deane!!!

smile

#389699 - 06/12/14 06:40 PM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]

Jerry, this may be of some benefit.

Gary cool

#389700 - 06/12/14 07:38 PM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: travlin'easy]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Gary,

Thanks for the video. It is a very self explanatory. A nice efficient setup.
I think the Laptop is a very good bang for the buck.

Jerry

#389703 - 06/12/14 09:57 PM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi Bill

I think you are spoiled with a large 12.1 screen in portrait mode as I am spoiled by my laptop on it's side with a 14.1 screen.

I have tried viewing music on an ipad and it doesn't really come close to my liking it. In a pinch I could use my 10.1 Asus android if I placed it over my screen on my T4 as I know some do but there goes on the fly use of any screen buttons ect.

Really, for using lead sheets anything be it a laptop or a tablet in landscape mode is not going to be desirable again for anyone that is used to a large screen in portrait mode.

I have been waiting for something bigger to come out in a good price range. The only thing I see rather recently is a 13.3" Hannspree android tablet. In portrait mode it would be as close as we could get to a regular piece of sheet music. The measurement for the width of viewable screen space is 7.5" which is about what an 8.5 x 11 piece of paper would be if you figure the margins.

The resolution is better than your MPP and my laptop. It has Bluetooth so if you ever would want to hook up a wireless page turner you can do it.

MobileSheets is a developing app that seems to be the go to android app for music. I have been in touch with the developer and he is adding where you can use the tablet to set up your keyboard or use your keyboard to open the pdf all at once instead of picking your lead sheet and then setting up your keyboard. What a time saver.

The Hannspree 13.3 has had pretty good reviews. Also, I found out how popular it is becoming with musicians as the gigeasy stand mount company mentions on their site that the Hannpspree does not fit on their holder. Interesting that they singled out that one and none of the other 13.3's, which there are a number out right now also would not fit their particular holder. In other words, gigeasy is apparently being flooded about questions regarding this particular brand of 13.3.

https://thegigeasy.com/product/mic-stand-mount-universal/

And to top it off, until now it was retailing between $250 and $300, and now you can get one shipped directly from Hannspree on Amazon for $200!!

http://www.amazon.com/HANNSPREE-13-3-INCH-TABLET-1280X800-ANDROID/dp/B00FA9ACIG

Each company and app has their pros and cons. But I know that for those that want something in portrait mode about the size of an actual hard copy a 13.3" is the best solution that I can see at this time, especially for the money.

Definitely worth checking out even if one just tries it out and would happen to decide to return it for some reason.

Hope, this helps Bill.

ScottL

#389710 - 06/13/14 06:37 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Bill in Dayton Offline

Thanks Scott....more good info for me to consider...

#389717 - 06/13/14 08:53 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
salsaman Offline

Loc: Port Angeles, WA., USA
It just dawned on me that with the Onsong app we all have the opportunity to become "Onsong" heroes.

#389727 - 06/13/14 11:06 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: salsaman]
124 Offline

rotf2 Getouttahere! rotf2

#389730 - 06/13/14 11:26 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
hammer Offline

Bill,
We didn't discuss this last night but I view my lead sheets in "Landscape" mode. I have not found the "Portrait" mode effective.

Deane

#389762 - 06/14/14 06:15 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: hammer]
hammer Offline

Bill,
To use TheGigEasy Universal holder with a mic stand you will need
this part. Check out the pictures. The Pictures show the iPad in Portrait
mode but the holder can be turned and used in Landscape mode too.

https://thegigeasy.com/product/side-extension-bar/

Deane

#389763 - 06/14/14 06:42 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
hammer Offline

Bill,
YOU GOT MAIL.

Deane

#389779 - 06/15/14 04:57 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: hammer]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: hammer
Bill,
To use TheGigEasy Universal holder with a mic stand you will need
this part. Check out the pictures. The Pictures show the iPad in Portrait
mode but the holder can be turned and used in Landscape mode too.

Deane

Thanx Deane just ordered one.Should work great attached to the quik lok X-stand mic boom......and that means one less mic stand to carry cool2

Attachments
12047_l.jpg

Edited by Dnj (06/15/14 05:04 AM)

#389855 - 06/18/14 07:48 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Bill, I like to experiment with this stuff so I bought a Hannspree 13.3 android from Amazon to see if it would work for me.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FA9ACIG/ref=ox_ya_os_product_refresh_T1

Had problems from the start with the power button. It would take several tries to turn the unit on and off. It did a good job of lead sheet display and was much better than the Music Pad. I used Adobe reader for the display of PDF sheets (still trying to decide on an android app for music display). Battery life was about 3 1/2 hours. I liked the fact that there were two miniature USB ports and used one for wireless mouse and keyboard during editing stuff. After about a half a day of frustration with the power switch, I decided to return the tablet. I did contact tech support for the tablet and was very impressed with the response from them. There was no wait time for tech support.

I have ordered an 13.3" Archos FamilyPad 2, 8 GB Tablet.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B6V5Z70/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item

It is a little cheaper than the Hannspree unit. Was impressed with some of the customer reviews. Specs were about the same as the Hannspree except for battery life. Battery life is reported to be over 6 hours. Will let you know how this works out.

#389857 - 06/18/14 08:20 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Dnj Offline

This all show that arranger kb's should have much bigger displays....

Bob good luck with your new tablet I hope it works for you.

#389859 - 06/18/14 01:15 PM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Just got the Gig easy extension bar attachment.....
very satisfied, quality built, strong grip. Should really work well with my Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet. cool2

Attachments
EX1C_SideMountExtensionArm.jpg

Edited by Dnj (06/18/14 01:16 PM)

#389895 - 06/20/14 01:55 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bob Hendershot]
Scott Langholff Offline

Originally Posted By: Bob Hendershot
Bill, I like to experiment with this stuff so I bought a Hannspree 13.3 android from Amazon to see if it would work for me.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FA9ACIG/ref=ox_ya_os_product_refresh_T1

Had problems from the start with the power button. It would take several tries to turn the unit on and off. It did a good job of lead sheet display and was much better than the Music Pad. I used Adobe reader for the display of PDF sheets (still trying to decide on an android app for music display). Battery life was about 3 1/2 hours. I liked the fact that there were two miniature USB ports and used one for wireless mouse and keyboard during editing stuff. After about a half a day of frustration with the power switch, I decided to return the tablet. I did contact tech support for the tablet and was very impressed with the response from them. There was no wait time for tech support.

I have ordered an 13.3" Archos FamilyPad 2, 8 GB Tablet.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B6V5Z70/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item

It is a little cheaper than the Hannspree unit. Was impressed with some of the customer reviews. Specs were about the same as the Hannspree except for battery life. Battery life is reported to be over 6 hours. Will let you know how this works out.

Hi Bob

I will be interested to see what you think of the dual core Archos. It has no Bluetooth, so those that want to use wireless page turners will not want this. 2 1/2 stars customer rating is a big red flag for me. Battery life is better but I don't know if I would want to go that route at this time myself.

What did the tech have to say about your switch problem?

As far as the Hannspree, (16GB quad core) in doing a lot of research including customer reviews and contact with 13.3" users of different makes, you must have just gotten a defective one. So from what I have learned so far, if that happened to me I'd exchange it for a different one of the same.

You stated 3 1/2 hour battery life for the Hannspree. Did you just use it for music or did you do other things also?

There is also a Kocaso 13.3 (dual core) but I'm quite sure it doesn't have Bluetooth either and one user I was in contact in was not pleased with that one.

But, we'll see how you do with the Archos. It seems the 13.3" androids will be the way to go for people that want to view their sheet music in portrait mode.

Interesting to note that the Hannspree was better for you in comparison to the MPP. In what ways was that true?

I'm looking forward to getting probably the Hannspree when I have the time. Getting ready to move right now.

ScottL

#389897 - 06/20/14 08:23 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Bob Hendershot Offline

I think I should preface this with info on where I am coming from. Each of us has his own needs and priorities. I am an old man (83) and have severe double vision caused by cataract surgery. I have to have prisms in my glasses to get the images together, so I need much larger images than most folks. I bought and tried an iPad a year or so ago and couldn't read the music display at all.

Scott, I agree with your assessment of customer reviews. I disregarded all the reviews except those posted by musicians. I also looked at stuff from the MobileSheets site. I have decided to use MobileSheets as my Android app for music display. It doesn't take a lot of processing power to display music sheets so I am not all that concerned about dual core vs quad core processors. I would be more concerned if I intended to use the tablet for videos.

The tech support guys took me through several steps but were unable to solve the problem with the switch. They told me to return the tablet for an exchange. Amazon did not offer an exchange and instead offered a money return and a reorder of the tablet. Since I am doing this stuff primarily for my own learning processes I decided to try a different tablet.

I did a lot of different stuff with the Hannspree including installing a Netflix app. Videos would not display with the Netflix app and I got sound only. That could be a Netflix issue so I don't consider that a problem with the Hannspree. Anyway, at the end of the evening, I put the tablet into a slide show function with about 200 photos and left it on when I went to bed. These Android tablets have a Battery function in the Settings menu that shows a graph of battery use. That is where I found the 3 1/2 hour report of battery life when I turned it on in the morning.

I also noted the lack of Bluetooth support but it was not of concern to me because I routinely just touch the screen to turn pages. It may be of concern to other folks though. You could also use a USB page turner with a pedal if needed.

There is a lot more contrast in displays with the android tablet than the MPP. And the display is "crisper" with sharper edges of text and dots. I also have a Sony Windows 8.1 tablet that is far superior to the android or the MPP but it cost over a thousand dollars . . . I use Music Reader for Windows with the Sony.

#389898 - 06/20/14 08:31 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]

Bob, sorry to hear about the eye surgical mishap, and I encountered the same problem, but to a much lesser degree. For me, none of the tablets were an option - just couldn't see them. That's why I stick with the PC and it's ability to provide much larger font sizes.

I went to several eye doctors after the surgery to see if something could be done, but most were reluctant to replace the surgically implanted lenses, claiming they could possibly do more damage than good. So, after spending more than $4,000 above and beyond what my insurance paid, I still have to wear eye glasses, progressive lens bifocals. Too bad you cannot sue the bastards for a botched job.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

#389901 - 06/20/14 10:07 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Too bad you cannot sue the bastards for a botched job.
Good Luck,
Gary cool

There might be a case for a malpractice suit if you can show they screwed up ...

#389902 - 06/20/14 10:29 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: tony mads usa]
hammer Offline

Tony,
2 years ago I had the Crystal Lens you hear so much about implanted in both of my eyes. Wow! what a mistake!!! Since then I have have a detached retina twice in my left eye and the lens in my right eye does not work as advertised - in that it does not focus near and far as need like a normal eye. Today I too wear very expensive glasses. All this cost me $7500.00 out of pocket.

I did in fact contact several law firms and could not get anyone to take an interest in the case. Seems like the cap on malpractice suits or manufacturer defect cases has chased a lot of the law firms out of the business. Really pissed me off.

Deane

#389903 - 06/20/14 10:34 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Bob Hendershot Offline

That surgery was 25 years ago and at that time I was thrilled just to see all the brilliant colors again. The problem was caused by the anesthetic used to disable the eye muscles during surgery which occasionally damages the muscle itself. It is not a lens issue. Have had two following surgeries (strabismus) in which the muscle is detached from the eye and reconnected in a different place. Didn't work . . .

#389915 - 06/20/14 01:54 PM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]

I was told by the eye doctor that performed the surgery the success rate with the lenses I opted for were rated very high, had a 99.9 percent success rate, and I would never have to wear glasses again. What a crock! The next doctor I went to told me the truth - success rate on these particular lenses was approximately 75 percent at best - wonderful! You can only guess who fell into the 25-percent failure rate.

I contacted a lawyer and he said forget it. He said these cases take many years, are very expensive, and quite frequently do not have a successful outcome in Maryland. Right now, my vision is perfect without glasses as long is the object is between two and three feet away.

Gettin' old ain't fer wimps and sissies,

Gary cool

#389920 - 06/20/14 03:14 PM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Here's a different tablet holder. Maybe not applicable for most, but it's another take on holding your tablet.

http://www.nomorerack.com/daily_deals/vi...der_for_tablets

#389926 - 06/20/14 11:19 PM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bob Hendershot]
Scott Langholff Offline

Bob

Thanks for the excellent input. This is the kind of stuff that really helps our keyboard community.

I really look forward to anything you have to say about any of the large tablets.

The android prices are right. And while the Windows version of yours is as you say better it seems that it's not really necessary to spend the $1000 - $1500 for them.

I have MobileSheets. It seems pretty good and the developer is working at adding things that people are asking for. Everyone I have talked to or have read are suggesting that MobileSheets is the app to go to for lead sheets.

Also, I noticed you used a pdf viewer app. This is one good possibility too. There are a number of free pdf apps for android that has editing and annotation capabilities. Deane may have preferred this method when he was trying the large Samsung. Then you can have folders alphabetical, by genre, gig lists, etc.

#389963 - 06/23/14 07:13 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Scott, I'm having second thoughts about MobileSheets. Have been working with the free version while I wait for the 13 inch Android tablet. Edits done with MobileSheets do not change the PDF file and are layered on top of the original sheet. Like the Freehand software for the MPP, you lose all your edits if you later change to something else. It also means that I can't use the same PDF library for both PC and Android work. MobileSheets creates a complex data base index of the library, and the files that have been imported to the software are not accessible elsewhere. It is an elaborate software that does about anything you could ever want but that also makes it excessively complex. My dad used to say, "You don't need an 18 wheeler to do a job you could do with a pickup".

I would prefer something simple. I don't need automatic scrolling and that sort of stuff. I always work in the portrait mode and just need to change pages by tapping the display or using a foot switch. I want something that I can use to create set lists as well as giving me easy access to my library. And, I want to do some highlighting and that sort of thing to help me with sight reading.

I have contacted the MusicReader folks to see if they have their Android version available yet. Meanwhile, you mentioned that there were Android PDF readers with editing capability available. Can you steer me toward one?

#389983 - 06/24/14 02:15 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bob Hendershot]
Scott Langholff Offline

Hi Bob

I haven't had much time to do anything serious with this yet. I've got the free MobileSheets version also and have only tinkered with it without reading the manual.

I can tell you that your issue about annotations only working in that app are going to be updated according to the forum on his website.

What I have discovered so far regarding pdf apps is that you can make edits on Adobe but I have found that program renders the music too slowly. I just got an update on it maybe that will help. Otherwise, the fastest app for rendering a pdf I have found is Radaee PDF Viewer, which I discovered also has editing features. Both these apps will show your annotations on your computer I have found using Adobe and also PDF-XChange Editor. PDF-EChange also allows you to edit on your computer and what you save will work on your tablet. This is something I was really hoping I'd find and this is the combination that seems to be best so far.

Also, although one may exist, I have not found one that does everything, such as you mentioned tap on a page to turn it. For this I have discovered a popular app called PDF Reader. It has 5,000,000 downloads. This should tell us a lot right there. I do not believe it has an edit feature but using a combination of a couple apps is a workaround that doesn't bother me.

As far as set lists while not using MobileSheets, which has great features for things like this along with whatever category you want to use whether alpha, genre, etc., One could use a PDF app and have a gig list folder. In the simplest form they would be in alpha order. But, another way is what I have done occasionally on my laptop, which is to use PDF Split and Merge to make a gig book with one song after another in the order you choose. It is easy to do and doesn't take long.

I'll include some links to these apps to help you get started.

Adobe Reader with editor:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.adobe.reader

Radaee Viewer with editor:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=radaee.pdf

PDF Reader:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.foobnix.pdf.reader

PDF XChange:

http://download.cnet.com/PDF-XChange-Viewer/3000-10743_4-10598377.html

PDF Split and Merge:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfsam/

MobileSheets site with forum etc:

http://www.zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/

Hope this helps.

ScottL

#389984 - 06/24/14 02:24 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Scott Langholff]
Scott Langholff Offline

To check out my suspision about the GigEasy tablet holder stating on their site that specifically it won't fit the Hannspree and mentions no others. Yet, here is the answer I got from them when I asked if it did fit any 13.3" tablets:

"Unfortunately, at this time the Universal mount does not accommodate any tablets over 13". We do not have plans/ideas just yet on making it adjust for those dimensions but you can sign up for our newsletter and we will announce any changes that may happen."

So, obviously, the Hannspree is the one that everyone is inquiring about to the exclusion of all other 13.3 tablets basically. Another clue I think I will follow when I get the time to get one:)

ScottL

#389992 - 06/24/14 06:20 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Thank you, Scott. It looks like the best of the list you provided would be the Radaee Viewer for my purposes. I'll load it into the tablet I have, to take a look.

I don't need lots of search options for songs and can work with an alphabetic list as I build a set list or select songs from the library. I am looking at Orpheus Sheet Music Reader at this time.

http://www.orpheus-app.com/

It looks like it fits my needs but want to find out how it handles the PDF files. I am hoping for something that works like the Windows "Music Reader" software that actually changes the PDF file with any edits you do. That would make the PDF library usable with other PDF readers.

It looks like I'm back to using the Hannspree tablet. Waited almost a week for shipment of the Archos unit and finally found that it was back-ordered. Canceled that and reordered the Hannspree. Should be here by Wednesday.

#390025 - 06/25/14 01:36 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bob Hendershot]
Scott Langholff Offline

Orpheus is a cool app. Here is a good video with the app developer and the inventor of Air-Turn discussing how the app works. Pretty nifty I'd say. Very simple to use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJtzgs764Io

#390031 - 06/25/14 07:00 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Thanks for that link, Scott. Hadn't seen that video but it expresses my objectives well. The video also gave me some ideas on how to use Drop Box with other folks.

I have already bought Orpheus. The Hannspree is on the UPS truck for delivery today. So, tomorrow I should be able to begin the learning process with Android.

Had some email conversations with Maeve Lander, the developer of Orpheus. The software does not do what I had hoped re PDF files. Edits are layered over the original file and are not transportable to other PDF readers. That's the way most readers work. And, it's probably the way I would have done it if I were still writing code. But the software is still the best I've seen to meet the objectives I have.

#390072 - 06/25/14 05:02 PM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bob Hendershot]
Scott Langholff Offline

Hi Bill

Wondering where you are so far on the subject?

Scott

#390076 - 06/25/14 08:04 PM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Well . . . Maybe I wasn't supposed to try the Android route . . .

Got the Hannspree 13 inch Android tablet this evening. This one works fine for the most part. I am pleased with the display and general software load times for an Android. Music chart display is crisp and had good contrast. I had no problem reading the sheets even with my poor eyesight. I used a USB port to connect a wireless mouse and keyboard to do all the typing necessary for setting up accounts etc. There are two ports. Both are intermittent for the wireless keyboard and mouse. They worked OK for file transfer from the PC to the Tablet. I found that if I switched from one port to the other the new port worked for a while for the wireless keyboard and mouse. These ports are not needed during performance so it's not a show stopper.

Orpheus is not ready for general use. It has a lot of things that don't work properly or are not dependable. I moved about 600 PDF songs into Orpheus. The data base indexing makes a lot of errors. When you select a song from the list you often get something else. I think this is a cache problem but am not sure. And, it is conceivable that I somehow caused a corrupted cache, but that shouldn't be possible. I plan to contact Maeve Lander again to go over the problems that I found.

Changing pages in a multipage song takes about four or five seconds which is borderline for me but acceptable. The PC software (and the Music Pad Pro) does the job in less than a second. I am used to simply tapping the right or left side of the display to change pages. Orpheus needs a finger swipe from left to right or vice versa. This would not be a problem for someone using a foot switch to change pages, and the finger swipe probably would be OK after use for a while. Orpheus is unable to work with sub-directories (folders). My PDF sheets were in several locations (sub-directories) and could not be imported to Orpheus until I moved everything to a single directory (folder). I know that Maeve has this problem high on her fix list. These are things I found in about an hour's use. Will try again tomorrow. I may shift back to MobileSheets (or my old dependable Music Pad Pro) until the next Orpheus update is released.

#390093 - 06/26/14 10:00 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Bob Hendershot Offline

This morning I finished my experimentation with Android lead sheet display.

The Hannspree 13 inch tablet is a keeper. It does an excellent job for all the stuff I tried and is about the same as my PC tablet although its resolution is lower. The only thing I dislike about the tablet is a little door covering the various ports. You have to open the door on the side to get at the ports and when it is opened it is attached with little rubber tie downs. The door seems to always be in the way. I cut it off and discarded it.

Orpheus is a disaster in its present stage of development. I uninstalled the software and reinstalled to see if I had somehow caused the problem. It is flaky at best and extremely slow. A lot of work is needed to make that software useful and dependable. It has been uninstalled again . . .

I installed MobileSheets again. After I figured out how to import my charts, things worked out fine. For both this software and Orpheus, it is best to consolidate all the charts into a single folder. It makes importing the songs to the software much simpler in a batch mode. In both cases, I imported about 600 PDF songs. Even though MobileSheets is a complex app with many features I'll never use, it is still quick and dependable. Multiple page songs load pages almost instantly like they do with a PC or the MPP.

So, my final configuration for Android is the Hannspree 13 inch tablet with MobileSheets as the selected app.

#390148 - 06/27/14 03:08 PM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bob Hendershot]
Scott Langholff Offline

Hi Bob

After I had spent a lot of time researching this subject it's good to have it verified with your success with the Hannspree 13.3" tablet and MobileSheets, especially so with your background and having experience with the ipad, Windows, MusicPad and android, etc.

You having said that it looked a lot better than the MusicPad, I think, says a lot and will make it easier for everyone to make a good educated decision to go a similar route. All that and only at $200, plus you get all the regular android tablet features.

I plan on getting one as soon as the dust settles as we are getting ready to move presently.

While I know the ipad has some great features and benefits I could never compromise enough to even begin trying to read a screen that small in portrait mode.

Thanks for the updates and please keep us informed on your progress.

ScottL

#390239 - 07/02/14 07:19 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
mellow1 Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Hi,
My 2cents worth:
Even though I use Windows and like Android systems, I use the IPAD because of the UnReal book app which, while not perfect, suits my needs just fine. I still don't like the smaller screen, however and am waiting to see if Apple comes out with a larger Ipad this winter.
In the meantime I ran across this new software: http://www.musicreader.net which seems promising as it supports many different platforms. Has anyone checked it out yet?

Skip

#390241 - 07/02/14 08:13 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Skip, I use MusicReader for Windows with my Windows tablet. It is my favorite PDF music reader of all I have looked at because it saves all my edits as part of the PDF file itself. That makes my music sheets (with my edits) transportable to other readers and means that if I go to something else in the future, all my edits will be there.

I talked by email with Marco Leone, the developer of MusicReader, recently about his progress toward an Android version of MusicReader. He said that his Android version is a few weeks away for beta testing. I expect to be involved in that testing.

BTW, I notice that the price of the Hannspree 13.3 inch tablet has increased quite a bit. I like that tablet, maybe a little more than the Sony Windows tablet, because it is much lighter and still gives an excellent display. But, it doesn't take much processing power or memory to do the simple job of displaying music charts. Just about anything that works will do an adequate job if that's all you want to do. So, if price is a dominant issue and if you don't want to surf the net or look at videos, one of the other Android units will probably do the job just fine.

#390800 - 07/20/14 03:10 PM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Bob Hendershot Offline

The last few days I've had a chance to work with both the Hannspree 13.3 inch and the Archos Family 2 13.3 inch Android tablets side by side.

The Archos tablet is available at the Adorama web site for $169.99 with free same day shipping. http://www.adorama.com/ARC502382.html The Amazon price for the Hannspree unit is about $280 plus shipping now, although I bought mine a few weeks ago for $199. So, there is over a hundred dollars difference in price for the two at this time.

Both tablet displays are identical in size, 7 by 11.25 inches. The Hannspree tablet weighs 42 ounces while the Archos weighs 46 ounces. I cannot distinguish any difference in the quality of the displays. Both give excellent display of both videos as well as lead sheets. The Hannspree can be adjusted to be a little brighter than the Archos. A Netflix app was loaded into each tablet. The Archos does a good job of video display of Netflix stuff although the speakers do not provide adequate volume. The Hannspree does not work with the Netflix app. It provides sound but no video. Both tablets work fine with YouTube videos.

The Hannspree has a faster processor and is much faster at both booting up and loading apps. After booting and loading software, there is little, if any, difference in performance for song sheets. I did notice that when I created a very large library of over 1,500 songs, the Archos was slower to display the song (about 2 to 3 seconds) directly from the library. The Hannspree was almost instant. That difference was not obvious with a library of about 500 songs. Songs that had been put into Set Lists were displayed almost instantly by both tablets. So in practice I doubt that any of us would notice much difference. Both tablets load subsequent pages of a song instantly. My songs are almost all on a single page. For folks that use songs with several pages, load times would be longer. All of this was done using MobileSheets software with both tablets.

The Hannspree includes Bluetooth support which is important for folks that need to change pages using AirTurn footswitches. The Archos does not include support for Bluetooth. Both tablets include HDMI and dual USB ports. I was able to use the Hannspree USB port for wireless mouse and keyboards as well as a basic optical laser mouse, but was unable to get them to work with the Archos. I suspect that there may be no footswitch support of any kind with the Archos for turning pages. This could be a show stopper for a lot of folks. Am waiting for a reply from Archos tech support re whether the tablet supports a USB mouse. I am comfortable just tapping the display to change pages but know that many people depend on foot switches. I did use USB connections of both tablets with a computer to move files to and from the computer.

The display is the primary user of battery power. To compare battery life, both tablets were set at about 25% of max brightness (which is the level I like for indoor music display). I turned off Wi-Fi (and Bluetooth for the Hannspree) to get the results. A slide show was started with about 200 photos with both tablets and they were run till the battery was exhausted. The Archos lasted 10 hours and 50 minutes. The Hannspree stopped after 5 hours and 20 minutes. An earlier test of the Hannspree gave 3 hours and 30 minutes but that was with a brighter display and Wi-Fi turned on. Display brightness has a major effect on battery life.

Each tablet comes with an A/C adapter for charging the battery as well as for use with external power. Both adapters have a chord length of five feet. The socket for power input is at the top of each tablet in the portrait mode. So, during operation with A/C plugged in, the chord would have to go from the top of the tablet to the location of the adapter brick (plug-in). For me, that means that the plug-in will not quite reach the floor and an extension cord would be needed for power as well as support for the heavy plug-in brick. Something to consider . . .

#390812 - 07/20/14 08:44 PM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Hi Bob,

I, personally, want to thank you for the effort you put into reviewing these two units and taking the time to report on your findings.

I posted here about the Archos about a year ago and decided at the time to not do anything as I know computers but I don't know enough about tablets.

I primarily want to use it only to store my sheet music in PDF format and then pull it up when I need to "brush up" on a song, so there's no urgency in it for me.

But, I was watching this thread closely, hoping you would eventually do a report like you just did, so it was greatly appreciated.

The thing about all this electronic stuff is you don't know what to buy because you've never used what you intend to buy. That means you don't really know what's going to be important to you until you're familiar with the product. I found that (major) problem when I bought my first computer. Knew nothing about a computer so how could you compare what you know nothing about.

Anyhow, is there enough difference between the two units to make one more suitable for you. And......for what I want to do with it, it doesn't matter which one? And.......I originally thought the Archos had a 13" screen. You said "Both tablet displays are identical in size, 7 by 11.25 inches." I'm assuming the sheet of music will look slightly smaller. Does one get used to it?

I'm also thinking about just buying a notebook with a large screen. Too many choices no matter what you buy.....from laundry detergent to a new car!

Mark

#390814 - 07/20/14 09:26 PM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Bill in Dayton Offline

Bob-

Thanks as well from me!

Great info, well presented and highly useful...

Well done!

#390832 - 07/21/14 06:44 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Mark, the display size of these tablets is described as the diagonal distance from the top left corner to the bottom right. So, both are considered to be 13.3 inch tablets. They are a little narrower and taller than the MusicPad Pro in the portrait position.

I think that anyone who needs to use a foot switch to turn pages should avoid the Archos. Other than that, there is not a lot of difference for music display except for battery life. If you are just looking for a place to store a lot of PDF sheets or books for reference, it would seem that the Archos would be the most economical choice.

The MobileSheets application works quickly and dependably in both tablets for lead sheet display. The Archos works fine for me but I keep almost all of my songs on a single sheet each and don't use a foot switch. I think it is an incredible bargain if no footswitch is needed. If cost is of no concern and if you have good vision, an iPad may be a better choice. The iPad is just too small for me.

#393677 - 09/24/14 06:09 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Amazon has the Hannspree tablet for $125 at this time. If you choose to buy a Hannspree, be sure to buy from a retailer that will let you easily exchange it for another if you have early failure. They have a history of bad units in inventory. If they work for a week or so they should be good for several years. I had to return my first unit but the second works fine.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M21N5D4/ref=pe_171880_124013890_em_1p_2_ti

#393697 - 09/24/14 08:21 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
I use an iPad with unrealBook as the music app. I've been using this setup for
~3-4 years or so. I am eager to see if Apple will introduce the rumored 12.9" iPad.
For my eyes, the iPad (9.7 inches) is "barely big enough", but for more complex music (with "more on the page"), it's a bit small. I have taken many hundreds of PDFs and re-done them (using Photoshop) with larger chords and lyrics, which helps a lot. My band uses iPads, and we "sync" them together with unrealBook's sync features, so when I turn a page, the whole band all see the same song or page.

This may not work for everyone, but so far it's been good from my perspective ...

-Jim

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online