SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#389730 - 06/13/14 11:26 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Bill,
We didn't discuss this last night but I view my lead sheets in "Landscape" mode. I have not found the "Portrait" mode effective.

Deane

#389762 - 06/14/14 06:15 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: hammer]
hammer Offline

Bill,
To use TheGigEasy Universal holder with a mic stand you will need
this part. Check out the pictures. The Pictures show the iPad in Portrait
mode but the holder can be turned and used in Landscape mode too.

https://thegigeasy.com/product/side-extension-bar/

Deane

#389763 - 06/14/14 06:42 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
hammer Offline

Bill,
YOU GOT MAIL.

Deane

#389779 - 06/15/14 04:57 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: hammer]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: hammer
Bill,
To use TheGigEasy Universal holder with a mic stand you will need
this part. Check out the pictures. The Pictures show the iPad in Portrait
mode but the holder can be turned and used in Landscape mode too.

Deane

Thanx Deane just ordered one.Should work great attached to the quik lok X-stand mic boom......and that means one less mic stand to carry cool2

Attachments
12047_l.jpg

Edited by Dnj (06/15/14 05:04 AM)

#389855 - 06/18/14 07:48 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Bill, I like to experiment with this stuff so I bought a Hannspree 13.3 android from Amazon to see if it would work for me.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FA9ACIG/ref=ox_ya_os_product_refresh_T1

Had problems from the start with the power button. It would take several tries to turn the unit on and off. It did a good job of lead sheet display and was much better than the Music Pad. I used Adobe reader for the display of PDF sheets (still trying to decide on an android app for music display). Battery life was about 3 1/2 hours. I liked the fact that there were two miniature USB ports and used one for wireless mouse and keyboard during editing stuff. After about a half a day of frustration with the power switch, I decided to return the tablet. I did contact tech support for the tablet and was very impressed with the response from them. There was no wait time for tech support.

I have ordered an 13.3" Archos FamilyPad 2, 8 GB Tablet.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B6V5Z70/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item

It is a little cheaper than the Hannspree unit. Was impressed with some of the customer reviews. Specs were about the same as the Hannspree except for battery life. Battery life is reported to be over 6 hours. Will let you know how this works out.

#389857 - 06/18/14 08:20 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Dnj Offline

This all show that arranger kb's should have much bigger displays....

Bob good luck with your new tablet I hope it works for you.

#389859 - 06/18/14 01:15 PM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Just got the Gig easy extension bar attachment.....
very satisfied, quality built, strong grip. Should really work well with my Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet. cool2

Attachments
EX1C_SideMountExtensionArm.jpg

Edited by Dnj (06/18/14 01:16 PM)

#389895 - 06/20/14 01:55 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bob Hendershot]
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Bob Hendershot
Bill, I like to experiment with this stuff so I bought a Hannspree 13.3 android from Amazon to see if it would work for me.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FA9ACIG/ref=ox_ya_os_product_refresh_T1

Had problems from the start with the power button. It would take several tries to turn the unit on and off. It did a good job of lead sheet display and was much better than the Music Pad. I used Adobe reader for the display of PDF sheets (still trying to decide on an android app for music display). Battery life was about 3 1/2 hours. I liked the fact that there were two miniature USB ports and used one for wireless mouse and keyboard during editing stuff. After about a half a day of frustration with the power switch, I decided to return the tablet. I did contact tech support for the tablet and was very impressed with the response from them. There was no wait time for tech support.

I have ordered an 13.3" Archos FamilyPad 2, 8 GB Tablet.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B6V5Z70/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item

It is a little cheaper than the Hannspree unit. Was impressed with some of the customer reviews. Specs were about the same as the Hannspree except for battery life. Battery life is reported to be over 6 hours. Will let you know how this works out.

Hi Bob

I will be interested to see what you think of the dual core Archos. It has no Bluetooth, so those that want to use wireless page turners will not want this. 2 1/2 stars customer rating is a big red flag for me. Battery life is better but I don't know if I would want to go that route at this time myself.

What did the tech have to say about your switch problem?

As far as the Hannspree, (16GB quad core) in doing a lot of research including customer reviews and contact with 13.3" users of different makes, you must have just gotten a defective one. So from what I have learned so far, if that happened to me I'd exchange it for a different one of the same.

You stated 3 1/2 hour battery life for the Hannspree. Did you just use it for music or did you do other things also?

There is also a Kocaso 13.3 (dual core) but I'm quite sure it doesn't have Bluetooth either and one user I was in contact in was not pleased with that one.

But, we'll see how you do with the Archos. It seems the 13.3" androids will be the way to go for people that want to view their sheet music in portrait mode.

Interesting to note that the Hannspree was better for you in comparison to the MPP. In what ways was that true?

I'm looking forward to getting probably the Hannspree when I have the time. Getting ready to move right now.

ScottL

#389897 - 06/20/14 08:23 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
I think I should preface this with info on where I am coming from. Each of us has his own needs and priorities. I am an old man (83) and have severe double vision caused by cataract surgery. I have to have prisms in my glasses to get the images together, so I need much larger images than most folks. I bought and tried an iPad a year or so ago and couldn't read the music display at all.

Scott, I agree with your assessment of customer reviews. I disregarded all the reviews except those posted by musicians. I also looked at stuff from the MobileSheets site. I have decided to use MobileSheets as my Android app for music display. It doesn't take a lot of processing power to display music sheets so I am not all that concerned about dual core vs quad core processors. I would be more concerned if I intended to use the tablet for videos.

The tech support guys took me through several steps but were unable to solve the problem with the switch. They told me to return the tablet for an exchange. Amazon did not offer an exchange and instead offered a money return and a reorder of the tablet. Since I am doing this stuff primarily for my own learning processes I decided to try a different tablet.

I did a lot of different stuff with the Hannspree including installing a Netflix app. Videos would not display with the Netflix app and I got sound only. That could be a Netflix issue so I don't consider that a problem with the Hannspree. Anyway, at the end of the evening, I put the tablet into a slide show function with about 200 photos and left it on when I went to bed. These Android tablets have a Battery function in the Settings menu that shows a graph of battery use. That is where I found the 3 1/2 hour report of battery life when I turned it on in the morning.

I also noted the lack of Bluetooth support but it was not of concern to me because I routinely just touch the screen to turn pages. It may be of concern to other folks though. You could also use a USB page turner with a pedal if needed.

There is a lot more contrast in displays with the android tablet than the MPP. And the display is "crisper" with sharper edges of text and dots. I also have a Sony Windows 8.1 tablet that is far superior to the android or the MPP but it cost over a thousand dollars . . . I use Music Reader for Windows with the Sony.

#389898 - 06/20/14 08:31 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bob, sorry to hear about the eye surgical mishap, and I encountered the same problem, but to a much lesser degree. For me, none of the tablets were an option - just couldn't see them. That's why I stick with the PC and it's ability to provide much larger font sizes.

I went to several eye doctors after the surgery to see if something could be done, but most were reluctant to replace the surgically implanted lenses, claiming they could possibly do more damage than good. So, after spending more than $4,000 above and beyond what my insurance paid, I still have to wear eye glasses, progressive lens bifocals. Too bad you cannot sue the bastards for a botched job.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online