SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#389659 - 06/11/14 04:55 PM Time for a new digital sheet music system...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Friends,

I've been using a Music Pad Pro for as long as I can remember. Mine still works but I think its time to transition to something newer.

I'm starting this search with fairly few preconceptions. I know some use a laptop, some use an Ipad type device, etc.

I have a pretty open mind about what direction I wind up going, with the following concerns:

1) No pedals involved...
2) I would like it to be safely mountable or positioned at or near the center/front of my keyboard...
3) I would like a fairly straightforward scanning process from start to finish. I would prefer to avoid another proprietary file conversion situation.
4) I would like a user friendly screen size....nothing too small...

What do you suggest?
What should I give special attention to?

Thanks as always!!!

Edited by Bill in Dayton (06/11/14 04:56 PM)

#389664 - 06/11/14 06:41 PM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Glad you brought this question up, Bill. My wife pretty much uses our iPad and I sold my mini, so I don't really want to g that rote. My friend says he uses a $99 Android tablet and a program where he can use resident files or download words and chords right from the net if there is access. I'd too would like to hear what others are using, especially non iPad.

#389665 - 06/11/14 07:29 PM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: cassp]
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
I wouldn't count the iPad out!

I use my iPad with forScore, and it provides great quality, using PDFs that you can create in your own way, allows easy upload from dropbox, easy creation of playlists (setlists), and has great capability for annotation. If you ever change to another system, you'll already have all your PDFs ready to quickly get up and running.

With regard to mounting it, I just use the keyboard music stand at home, but on gigs I mount it using a gig-easy fixed on a gooseneck fitted at the end of a mic stand. That allows me to bring the small iPad closer in and so making it easier for my aging eyes to read, and I believe, makes it less obtrusive to the audience! smile

#389668 - 06/11/14 07:48 PM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Bill, my vision is too poor to read stuff on an iPad. I initially used Music Reader software for windows because it had an excellent software utility that batch converted all my Freehand files to PDF. The batch conversion to PDF does not pick up edits done with the MPP software so any notes on the sheets done with the MPP software are lost. I used a 13 inch windows tablet and the display was much better than the MPP. I do not have an android tablet to check but Music Reader supposedly has an android version now.

I have no knowledge of other alternatives so can not compare it with others. I eventually reverted back to the Music Pad because it does the job I need and does it well.

#389672 - 06/11/14 08:26 PM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Bill,
I have been using an iPad to read lead sheets in PDF form for over 5 years. I now have nearly 6000 of them on my iPad. I have used two different programs - GoodReader and now I am using UnrealBook. Both programs cost me under $5.00 each and work really great. I am using the universal tablet mount from GigEasy which fits nicely on a mic stand.

I had a retina detachment in one eye two years ago and I can still see the iPad display just fine with one eye. About 4 months ago I purchased a Galaxy Pro 12.2 tablet which actually is a real beauty. I then purchased one of the two or three programs designed for musicians and it really was a loser. Compared to what was available for the iPad it was a no brainer to return the Galaxy Pro and replace it with the new iPad Air - cost $600.00.

In my opinion - based on 5 years real world experience - I doubt you can beat the iPad for lead sheets or lyrics. I don't recommend it for folks who want to display full piano scores. Bye the way, before I started using an iPad I used a laptop and there were lots of issues such as having to carry a music stand and things like turning pages when necessary required the use of a special plug-in device. The iPad is much less complicated.

Deane

#389679 - 06/12/14 06:52 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Bill in Dayton Offline

Anyone hear of or using Onsong Onsong?

Edited by Bill in Dayton (06/12/14 06:53 AM)

#389680 - 06/12/14 07:30 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Another iPad user here. Bought one the day they were released in 2010. Based on a recommendation from Mikey Maestro (former participant here) I purchased unReal book and having been using it since. Hands down at least for me it works better than other apps available. I retired my Music Pad Pro shortly after buying the iPad.

I have tried OnSong too, it's not for me.

#389683 - 06/12/14 08:00 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#389684 - 06/12/14 10:00 AM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: travlin'easy]
Bill in Dayton Offline

Gary-

Please describe your digital sheet music system...

Thanks!

#389690 - 06/12/14 01:01 PM Re: Time for a new digital sheet music system... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bill, I don't read, at least not enough to mess me up while playing. However, I have hundreds of lyrics files stored that I utilize using MS Word, files that have tabs, which I like much better than the dots. Everything is listed alphabetically by song title, a single click of the mouse and in a fraction of a second, it's on the PC screen.

I use an Acer Aspire1, which has a 9-inch screen and the display is easy for me to read from up to 6 feet away. Not bad considering I'm old and had eye surgery two years ago. Yeah, I still wear bifocals, but I can read the screen without them.

You could do the same thing using the dots with Adobe Acrobat Reader as well, and use the dots. The console unit that sits upon the top tier of my keyboard stand is just an inch above the top of the keyboard, and it serves several purposes. Not only does it make a great platform for the laptop, it also contains all the keyboard power supplies, my TC Helicon Harmony-M, a great surge protector with a built in ground fault indicator, and strip lights that provide a soft light to the top of the keyboard and illuminates a sign on the front of the console. The console is made of 1/8th inch aluminum plate, and I have a Lexan platform on top for the keyboard and strip light. It weights, including the laptop, less than 12 pounds. The laptop is Velcro'd to the top of the console and stay in place all the time. The beauty of the console is that most everything stays plugged in, thus when you arrive at the venue, there is very little to do when setting up other than plug the other ends of the cables into the keyboard and PA.

Hope this helps,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (06/12/14 01:03 PM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online