SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#389306 - 05/28/14 07:29 AM LD Systems Maui 11 (Fender Expo) powered speakers
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
I have seen old notes about Maui systems (~2 years ago). The Maui 11 seems to be priced ("street price") right around the Bose Compact. Looks like it's somewhat like the Bost Compact in "concept" (small line array). Its specs (link below) show 340W RMS total, and it uses two 6.5" woofers in some special "V" arrangement, 8 small drivers, plus a horn-loaded (?) tweeter for the very high of the highs. Have heard one person describe its sound as quite amazing for the price. Said the bass is surprisingly good for what seem like small woofers. I have no local place to see/hear it though. I think it might be a bit heavier than the Bose compact.

Has anyone here heard/compared the Maui and some of the other contenders such as Bose or Lucas Nano?

http://www.ld-systems.com/en/complete-pa-systems/maui-11-compact-column-pa-system-active/

Jim

#389309 - 05/28/14 08:57 AM Re: LD Systems Maui 11 (Fender Expo) powered speakers [Re: jimlaing]
Dnj Offline

One way to find out ...go and listen to it with YOUR Gear...
or buy it ...try it,...keep or return simple.
All these systems are as good as what you put thru them.

#389311 - 05/28/14 10:00 AM Re: LD Systems Maui 11 (Fender Expo) powered speakers [Re: jimlaing]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
One of the things I always think of when looking at new gear is where can I get it serviced and and if I want to change how easy will it be to sell down the road. These fringe manufactures like HK and Maul would make me think twice.

#389312 - 05/28/14 10:06 AM Re: LD Systems Maui 11 (Fender Expo) powered speakers [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis
One of the things I always think of when looking at new gear is where can I get it serviced and and if I want to change how easy will it be to sell down the road. These fringe manufactures like HK and Maul would make me think twice.

Not me Im old school,....I invest in a piece of gear I like, ......use it play a few gigs and I got my money back fast,
a few month or years later you've made many many many times what you paid for it,........anything happens down the road service wise big deal!! your always ahead of the game, dump it or buy more gear and start again. cool2

#389313 - 05/28/14 11:32 AM Re: LD Systems Maui 11 (Fender Expo) powered speakers [Re: jimlaing]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Donny, you really need to take a course on bookkeeping. That gear you purchased is a business expense - NOT an investment. As a business expense it's tax deductable, however, YOU must first generate the income prior to purchasing in order to procure the equipment. That money that you earned came from your musical talents and abilities and you used funds that could have been used for an investment, mutual funds, IRA, retirement, etc... The question you must ask yourself is "Will that new XYZ generate more jobs in the the immediate future than I currently have booked? Will this new XYZ make me sound so much better than potential clients will be ringing the phone off the hook to pay me higher dollars for the jobs I have already booked? Will that new XYZ make my job that much easier to justify spending a couple grand in equipment?

Keep in mind there is NO break even point. That new gear loses value five minutes after you take it out of the box or store. That new gear does not pay for itself unless it meets some of the above criteria, YOU PAY FOR IT! This concept is nothing new, it's basic business sense and has been around since the beginning of mankind. The reason I kept my PSR-3000 for all those years is quite simple, it met the guidelines of my small business operation. The primary reason I purchased the S-950 is to satisfy my desires - not those of my clientele. I think I sound better, many of them say I sound better than I have in a decade. However, when I ask in which way I sound better, they never mention the keyboard - they say my vocals have really improved over the years, and in reality that new keyboard has absolutely nothing to do with that.

So I guess it's kinda like the guy who walks into a house of Ill Repute and only has a 3-inch tool. When the madam asks "Just who do you think you can satisfy with that?" His reply is "ME!" I think the same is true with most of the new arranger keyboards and sound systems. As I said at the onset, they're NOT investments - they're nothing more than a business expense.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#389314 - 05/28/14 11:38 AM Re: LD Systems Maui 11 (Fender Expo) powered speakers [Re: Dnj]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Hi - DNJ - yes, I agree - it's just that I don't have a location fairly close that has the Maui/Fender speaker of this topic (or the Nano's)... so I can't audition it myself very easily. It's like the Tyros5 that I bought: there were none for hundreds of miles around me, so I had to go on reputation and others' reviews and comments ...

(I'm in North Carolina/USA)

Thanks,
Jim

#389317 - 05/28/14 11:52 AM Re: LD Systems Maui 11 (Fender Expo) powered speakers [Re: jimlaing]
Dnj Offline

Gary ...I respect your opinion but cant agree with it..

#389318 - 05/28/14 01:16 PM Re: LD Systems Maui 11 (Fender Expo) powered speakers [Re: jimlaing]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
That's OK Donny - I know I'm right, and better looking than you. wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#389319 - 05/28/14 01:46 PM Re: LD Systems Maui 11 (Fender Expo) powered speakers [Re: jimlaing]
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Originally Posted By: jimlaing
I have seen old notes about Maui systems (~2 years ago). The Maui 11 seems to be priced ("street price") right around the Bose Compact. Looks like it's somewhat like the Bost Compact in "concept" (small line array). Its specs (link below) show 340W RMS total, and it uses two 6.5" woofers in some special "V" arrangement, 8 small drivers, plus a horn-loaded (?) tweeter for the very high of the highs. Have heard one person describe its sound as quite amazing for the price. Said the bass is surprisingly good for what seem like small woofers. I have no local place to see/hear it though. I think it might be a bit heavier than the Bose compact.

Has anyone here heard/compared the Maui and some of the other contenders such as Bose or Lucas Nano?

http://www.ld-systems.com/en/complete-pa-systems/maui-11-compact-column-pa-system-active/

Jim

Found this discussion from last year:
http://www.synthzone.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/360872/Maui_LD28_mini_review
Eric

#389322 - 05/28/14 03:53 PM Re: LD Systems Maui 11 (Fender Expo) powered speakers [Re: Eric, B]
preplapse Offline

I don't post much but figured I'd chime in here seeing as I own both the Bose Compact and bought a LD Maui 11 from Frankie V. a few months ago. IMO the Maui 11 sounds a little more balanced with the high,mid and low out of the box. It just seems to have a smoother sound to me. When listening side by side the Bose has a brighter tone which is not necessarily a bad thing. I love the Bose. I just prefer a more mellower sound.
I use a mixer with 2 keyboards, a guitar and 2 vocals and the Maui handles it fine. This is just my opinion and I bet if you were in a noisy place nobody would know the difference between the two. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll try to answer them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online