SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#38896 - 06/09/02 10:26 PM Step Record Notation
gilbert Offline

Loc: Oelsnitz /E Germany
Hi All,
I am just begining to uderstand how to read music but still find difficulty in timeing and values, so would like to try Step Record, to hear how a tune should sound.Is there anyone out there who would be kind enough to send me examples of how the step record notation, matches with the written music.This would be a great help to me
Regards to All Gilbert

#38897 - 06/10/02 01:32 AM Re: Step Record Notation
technicsplayer Offline

start with step chord recording.

this very is easy to do, and gives instant correlation - because the notes are written at the top of the keyboard. Just change 3 chords in rotation (C, F, G say) with the left hand and enter the measure values at the top of the keyboard with a 'ping' for each chord.

Watch the cursor jump, and play back the result and you soon see the effect of crotchet, quaver, dotted note etc. Easier for the beginner to think American with quarter note, eighth note etc. Slow the tempo and watch the beat leds to see the results.

Then move on to step record in the sequencer menu, and see how the asterisk jumps as you dial up various note lengths and rests. Here you can listen to the result of triplets, which may not fit the asterisk spaces in all circumstances in the display, but playback accurately. To input a dotted note use the + function to add another half (or quarter etc value).

Best of all, get a pc sequencer with notation screen, or a score writer. Seeing the score appear as you play is better than any theory book just to get you started...

This is how I learnt, never had a proper lesson in my life, apart from school - where I hated music lessons!

#38898 - 06/10/02 08:03 AM Re: Step Record Notation
gilbert Offline

Loc: Oelsnitz /E Germany
Hello Again Alexs,
I really do appreciate your help and advice it makes learning and enjoying my Kn 6000 so much more fun and nothing pleases more than sucsess.

I have tried playing around with the different notations as you sugested and noticed they graduate up and down half the value of the symbol before and I can now work out other than whole, half and quarter notes, which is what I was after.It all seems so simple now, but it did not feel like that at the week end, when I spent hours trying to step record one tack that ended up sounding nothing like it should have done.

I thought I may be trying to run before I could walk having just purchased a pc sequencer programme {Power Tracks Pro Audio]
so I am pleased you see this type of programme as a learning tool.HOWEVER I find the user manual that came with it less clear and informative than the manual of the Kn6000, or maybe it is my ignorance of midi and sequencing in general.There is still a lot of questions to be asked but I will eventually get there.I must also agree the aftersales service is secound to none.

Sincere Thanks for your time and help

Gilbert

#38899 - 06/10/02 03:30 PM Re: Step Record Notation
technicsplayer Offline

Power Tracks is an ace program for the money!

try loading some simple midi files, and follow the melody track score, maybe turning the tempo down.

then hook up for recording from the KN - just a single track will do, piano only say, and practice your timing with the score display. There's a midi sequencer intro in the book.

you are well on your way...

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online