SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#384514 - 02/13/14 07:12 PM Yamaha MOXF as an ARRANGER?
mweuch Offline

I am seriously thinking about getting the MOXF in a couple months and just wondering if anyone has any experience in using the KARMA Software by Stephen Kay to utilize the arranger function. Would I be able to load lets say DRUM or BASS parts from a PSR style? Thank you!!

#384515 - 02/13/14 08:05 PM Re: Yamaha MOXF as an ARRANGER? [Re: mweuch]
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
I have the Motif XS and the Karma software.

it gives the keyboard alot more functionality similar to arranger spec...

it gives 8 style parts, fills, ends, intros and more - it is far more sophisticated than the original 4 arp patterns that come on board the motif out of the box...

BUT firstly - I think the karma software ONLY works with the Motif XF and Motif XS.. not sure if it works with the MO series... might want to check this??

to use the karma software it requires a complete factory wipe and restore to the karma engine and custom sounds and drum kits and arps... once you have installed Karma. it basically transforms your motif into something different. all the drum kits are mapped to their own folders and if they are moved it confuses the pre made patterns.

I basically installed it, had a play around with the pre made styles for a day and then restored my motif back to my original settings and have never used the karma software again... Maybe I needed more time but it is quite confusing to get your head around. a video tutorial from Karma would be good...

I think it would be better to have 2 Motif keyboards.. one for Karma and one for the actual synthesizer you would want to customise...

good luck
Nick

#384518 - 02/13/14 08:24 PM Re: Yamaha MOXF as an ARRANGER? [Re: Nick G]
billyhank Offline

Karma now supports both the MOX and MOXF.

#384542 - 02/14/14 12:57 PM Re: Yamaha MOXF as an ARRANGER? [Re: Nick G]
mweuch Offline

Originally Posted By: Nick G
I have the Motif XS and the Karma software.

it gives the keyboard alot more functionality similar to arranger spec...

it gives 8 style parts, fills, ends, intros and more - it is far more sophisticated than the original 4 arp patterns that come on board the motif out of the box...

BUT firstly - I think the karma software ONLY works with the Motif XF and Motif XS.. not sure if it works with the MO series... might want to check this??

to use the karma software it requires a complete factory wipe and restore to the karma engine and custom sounds and drum kits and arps... once you have installed Karma. it basically transforms your motif into something different. all the drum kits are mapped to their own folders and if they are moved it confuses the pre made patterns.

I basically installed it, had a play around with the pre made styles for a day and then restored my motif back to my original settings and have never used the karma software again... Maybe I needed more time but it is quite confusing to get your head around. a video tutorial from Karma would be good...

I think it would be better to have 2 Motif keyboards.. one for Karma and one for the actual synthesizer you would want to customise...

good luck
Nick

Thanks Nick! I will be doing alot of research into the MOXF and see if this would be the right choice for me. Thank you sir....

#385087 - 02/23/14 03:23 PM Re: Yamaha MOXF as an ARRANGER? [Re: mweuch]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Extremely difficult to learn, awkward to use. And is beyond the average arranger player tbh. It is even beyond most synth players too.

It has a very steep learning curve, and most folks do exactly as Nick did, buy it, try it, scratch their heads and then move on.

Invest your money in a MOXF for sure, because with the Flash Ram expansion it is quite an exceptional buy for the price, but unless you have weeks (even months) to dedicate to learning it (Karma), spend the extra money on 3rd party MOXF sound libraries.

#385118 - 02/24/14 05:16 AM Re: Yamaha MOXF as an ARRANGER? [Re: mweuch]
DAN.2000 Offline

Loc: FRANCE
Or use the vArranger software to add an arranger to your MOXF smile

Dan
https://www.varranger.com

#385125 - 02/24/14 06:32 AM Re: Yamaha MOXF as an ARRANGER? [Re: DAN.2000]
Bachus Offline

I tried using the karma on my Kronos like an arranger...
Sadly a battle i lost...

While your scenes follow chords (also possible with the arps on a motif). There is no way the depth and predictabillity of an arranger.. No fills, no intros... Just different patterns...

But also almost no contemporary stuff... Only moden stuff, not suited for the general keyboard artist and its crowd...

And programming your own Karma stuff is incredibly more difficult then making your own styles on an arranger

Aa i said, a battle that i lost...

karma is just different, its awesome for improvising and stuff like that, and just playing around with rythms and patterns.... But not as a substitute for arrangers.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#388884 - 05/11/14 06:24 PM Re: Yamaha MOXF as an ARRANGER? [Re: mweuch]
DAN.2000 Offline

Loc: FRANCE
A vArranger user recorded some Tyros 5 styles played in MOXF YAMAHA with VArranger 2.

Two videos:
PART 1: http://youtu.be/38JICTBlMrc
PART 2: http://youtu.be/tylsZjVv0OM

Dan
https://www.varranger.com

#388923 - 05/12/14 01:22 PM Re: Yamaha MOXF as an ARRANGER? [Re: DAN.2000]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Wow Dan! Both of these sound terrific!!.

Deane

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online