Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#388018 - 04/17/14 01:07 AM Re: ot/ How do you like Windows 8 ? [Re: Beemer]
Beemer Offline

Loc: Scotland
Originally Posted By: Beemer
Originally Posted By: Dnj
Right I'm still using Win XP exclusively on all my computers....desktop/laptops, with out any problems.......
I'm hearing MORE positives about Win 7 vs Win 8 so far out of anyone I ask including my computer tech who custom builds all my units for years..
Win 7 OS seems I would be more familiar with since
I have XP. confused1 I really don't need any problems as mentioned many times using Win 8....
& what would be my advantages in using Win 8 anyway?
I'll be in the market for a laptop & desktop soon.

Then again I could always say F*** it and go with a MAC more expensive but less problems? cool2

Dnj,

I moved to Windows 7 from XP and its a great improvement in areas too numerous to mention here. Two pieces of advice are:

Run the Microsoft system compatibility checker to ensure that your hardware is compatable with Windows 7.

Secondly buy the Pro which I have or the Ultimate version as these allow you to run a virtual XP operating system within Windows 7. This could be useful for running older software or for running hardware, e.g. a scanner that has no Windows 7 driver.

The upgrade process from XP to Windows 7 is a breeze.

I'll not be upgrading to Windows 8 even if they paid me to do it.

Ian

Dnj,

Update to my reply. I forgot to recommend that if you decide to go to Windows 7 you should go for the 64 bit version. Software developers like Adobe are gradually only offering 64 bit versions, e.g Photoshop and Premiere.

Ian

#388021 - 04/17/14 05:20 AM Re: ot/ How do you like Windows 8 ? [Re: Nigel]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Nigel
If you are using Window 8 or 8.1 just make sure to install http://www.classicshell.net/ which which brings back the classic Windows start menu. It is free but please donate to the developers if you like it. It brings back the traditional Windows desktop feel. If you need info on how to also bring back the Windows quick launch task bar icons just ask and I can tell you how to do that too.

Thank you Nigel & All for the help........this classicshell prog now makes win 8.1 more viable for sure..

Edited by Dnj (04/17/14 05:21 AM)

#388022 - 04/17/14 06:14 AM Re: ot/ How do you like Windows 8 ? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Now watching this Classic shell demo...Win 8.1 is looking better & better... clap

#388026 - 04/17/14 06:36 AM Re: ot/ How do you like Windows 8 ? [Re: Dnj]
billyhank Offline

Donny,

Please keep in mind that many of your current software programs may no longer work with win 8.1.

#388027 - 04/17/14 06:37 AM Re: ot/ How do you like Windows 8 ? [Re: Dnj]
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
I would recommend you try it without the start menu for a while, pinning all your apps to the taskbar (at the bottom of the screen). I think you'll adapt just fine. Why add the extra overhead to your system if you don't need to?

You know you can always install classic shell later if you want.

#388029 - 04/17/14 06:50 AM Re: ot/ How do you like Windows 8 ? [Re: billyhank]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: billyhank
Donny,

Please keep in mind that many of your current software programs may no longer work with win 8.1.

Billy YES that is a big concern.........
one of which makes me lean toward WIN 7 wink

#388031 - 04/17/14 07:31 AM Re: ot/ How do you like Windows 8 ? [Re: Stevizard]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
I have a desktop and a laptop on Windows 8 and really like how it runs on both of them. It is blazingly fast and not very difficult to use at all. In some ways I like it more than my MacBook Pro and my iMac. Seems to me that Apple too is falling behind the curve. I saw a very neat 12.2 Galaxy Pro tablet that runs on Android and I'm very tempted to replace one of my iPads with it.
So far I have found no programs that will not run on the Windows 8 OS. However, I am not coming from XP either.
Deane

Edited by hammer (04/17/14 07:34 AM)

#388034 - 04/17/14 10:22 AM Re: ot/ How do you like Windows 8 ? [Re: Dnj]
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Deane. I have been using an ASUS Android Tablet for over 2 years.
Not knocking iPad but the Android has USB input plus other options that Apple either charge for or don't provide the option.
My ASUS is fast and so far been very reliable.

Best wishes from the UK.

#388048 - 04/17/14 08:51 PM Re: ot/ How do you like Windows 8 ? [Re: Dnj]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
I don't believe I have ever experienced a less intuitive, idiotic bunch of nonsense as Windows 8. The Microsoft Den of Thieves have finally created something that will eventually bring them down to earth... or below. I don't want apps on my PC. I want affordable, non-invasive software and security that does not constantly try to get you to pay for upgrades that don't work.

This company should have been split up or forced to close their doors several years ago. Monopolistic, manipulative money-grabbing baboons, hell-bent on forcing everyone to upgrade every two or three years, depending on how crappy their latest roll-out works or does not.

Anyone here using Linux or one of it's variations. Dang, I hate new learning curves but I'm sick and tired of hardnosed, effete, hubris laden organizations who cannot justify their miserable existence. Did I mention I don't like them very much? LOL!

Good luck to you poor schnooks who are now stuck with this garbage laden operating system. Windows XP was the most bug-free version and it's perfect for music production. Win 7 is okay and is certainly a better options than Win 8.

Dave

#388052 - 04/18/14 01:26 AM Re: ot/ How do you like Windows 8 ? [Re: Dnj]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Dave

Windows 7 leaves Windows XP way behind in every single department.

Windows 8 was designed to bridge the gap between tablets and the Desktop, thus allowing optimum use with both a touch screen and a keyboard and mouse, unfortunately they concentrated too much on the touch screen operation thus alienating most of their Desktop users, however the new team are now starting to fix this with updates, (Currently on Windows 8.1 Update 1) however in truth it will probably be next year before the optimum version is finished. (Code name is Threshold although some have speculated that the final name will be Windows 9, so as to get them out of the mire that Windows 8 got them into)

BTW Windows 8 is the best Windows yet for music, leaving even Windows 7 behind.

As to monopolistic, try Apple, as there systems are as closed as you can get, also support is dropped after about 3 years thus you have to upgrade to stay up to date. (Compare this with XP which was supported for about 12 years)

If you go for Linux, go for the Mint version http://www.linuxmint.com/ as the usual Ubuntu is just full of bloat ware these days. (I have been using Linux for about 17 years as an addition to Windows; however it is not suitable as a replacement unless you are happy with basic use. (Which to be quite honest covers most home users)
It is also limited with music as there are not drivers available for a lot of popular music software/hardware. (Home or small productions are fine though)

Hope this helps

Bill

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online