SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#387932 - 04/15/14 09:08 AM Re: ot/ How do you like Windows 8 ? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Gary, I have a line on an iron lung from the 50s. You can use it till they come up with lung replacements! smile
Seriously I will settle for another 25 years, depending on the direction the U.S. takes.

#387934 - 04/15/14 09:23 AM Re: ot/ How do you like Windows 8 ? [Re: Dnj]
joso Offline

Loc: Denmark
Hi

Had win 8 from the very first day it was releashed. Later upgraded to win 8.1.
No issues at all. Learning time less than ½ hour.

Best: Very fast start up = app. 10 seconds...

Jørgen

#387936 - 04/15/14 09:31 AM Re: ot/ How do you like Windows 8 ? [Re: Stevizard]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Stevizard
The MAC has a loyal niche market. In business, the MAC is used almost exclusively for publishing and graphic design. Those industries remain in lock-step with Apple. The IPhone also holds a place in the buying public's mind. If Apple would reduce laptop prices to the level of IBM PC-style laptops, they could gain market-share but this isn't going to happen. Apple loves their niche and will continue serving it in the future. So, it seems the door is wide open to Google Chromebook.

What are the advantages of the Google Chrome Book....vs a PC laptop with win 7/8?
I looked at some but was turned off by the restricted storage space at 64G etc...I would need so much more like 500G-1TB to fit all my songs, files, etc.. confused1

Edited by Dnj (04/15/14 09:32 AM)

#387937 - 04/15/14 09:34 AM Re: ot/ How do you like Windows 8 ? [Re: PraiseTheLord]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: PraiseTheLord
2 desktop PCs on Windows 8.1. Love it, especially the fast boot or restart time. I also installed an SSD drive for the OS and other software, with a large hard drive as a secondary for all data, and that approach also speeds up the PC.

I have not experienced any significant problems, and would wholeheartedly recommend it.

Graham how was the transition to the WIN 8 OS using the tiles, vs earlier model OS's to navigate to everyday internet and file needs?

#387939 - 04/15/14 09:49 AM Re: ot/ How do you like Windows 8 ? [Re: Dnj]
Stevizard Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN, USA
Google Chromebooks are perfect for people whose first computer was their Android phone. They already know the OS and are familiar with Google Apps. For them, there is no learning curve whatsoever. Young people on their way to college will find the Chromebook easy to use, inexpensive, and familiar. A brand new Chromebook suitable for college costs about $245.00.

Older Window's PC users will see few benefits from moving to Chromebook, except for one - price. Chromebook's OS is fast and requires very few resources. Add an extra hard drive and you'll have tons of storage for a minimal price. Better yet, add a card reader and buy ultra-portable SD cards. Amazon carries 128 Gigabyte SD cards for roughly $65.00 each.

If you wish your computer was more like your phone .... you just may like using Chromebook. If not, then stick with Windows.

Edited by Stevizard (04/15/14 10:01 AM)

#387942 - 04/15/14 10:08 AM Re: ot/ How do you like Windows 8 ? [Re: Stevizard]
Bachus Offline

Windows 8 works perfect with a touchscreen...

But it does not work well, with a mouse... And the start menu still is not back with 8.1 , tough using a 3rd party app brings it back for €5..

Using Ableton live and espescially Sonar with vsts on a 27" touchscreen under windows 8.1 works like a dream.. Also V-arranger should work very well with a touchscreen under 8.1

For tablets i would say the order of merit is apple-windows-android
for laptops i would say windows-osx-linux (because apple has no touchscreen support)
For servers i would say Linux-windows2012server

Anyway, most people prefer the things they allready know.... So thats old windows7 and before, just because they are used to that.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#387943 - 04/15/14 10:14 AM Re: ot/ How do you like Windows 8 ? [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

Little by little with all of your input here I am learning & leaning toward a WIN 7 based Pc & Laptop now that I understand more about what each alternative does and what would work better for my needs..

keep the info & opinions coming I appreciate it big time !!

#387944 - 04/15/14 10:27 AM Re: ot/ How do you like Windows 8 ? [Re: Dnj]
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
Just a short note: there is no support for XP anymore...

#387947 - 04/15/14 10:47 AM Re: ot/ How do you like Windows 8 ? [Re: adimatis]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: adimatis
Just a short note: there is no support for XP anymore...

mad yes that's why Im considering new PCs now..
I have been getting alerts all the time for XP. frown

#387953 - 04/15/14 01:19 PM Re: ot/ How do you like Windows 8 ? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
DonM, lung transplants have been around a long time, and I was working in medicine when the first ones were done. We also had another procedure called a pluck, which was a combined heart/lung transplant. Back then they all died because of rejection phenomena.

Steve, at the rate I'm going downhill, I know I won't make it another decade, but if I do, that would be great. Asbestos is taking it's toll on my lungs, and at my age, a transplant is out of the question. And, Obamacare does not permit it beyond age 70 - it's in the same category with neurosurgical procedures over age 70 - not allowed. And for the naysayers, yes, I've read nearly 600 pages of Obamacare and it IS true.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online