SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#387920 - 04/15/14 06:46 AM ot/ How do you like Windows 8 ?
Dnj Offline

Just curious how many people here are now using Microsoft Windows 8 on their PC/laptops, pads, etc,.. and your opinions?

#387922 - 04/15/14 06:58 AM Re: ot/ How do you like Windows 8 ? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
A buddy of mine got a new PC and it had Windows 8 already installed. He had several very annoying issues with it, including two complete lockups that required taking the PC in for service.

He had the dealer replace Windows 8 with Windows 7 and he's a happy camper again. His last PC was using Win XP.

I still use Windows 7. I hope by the time I'm needing a new PC, that the next new OS will resolve the Win 8 issues, much like Win 7 did with Vista.

Ian

#387923 - 04/15/14 06:59 AM Re: ot/ How do you like Windows 8 ? [Re: Dnj]
Beakybird Offline

It's a very solid operating system. The app/pc duality is a little confusing. No bugs to report.

If you have a great sound card that you want to keep, make sure that it is compatible with Windows 8.1.

#387924 - 04/15/14 07:21 AM Re: ot/ How do you like Windows 8 ? [Re: Beakybird]
Dnj Offline

Right I'm still using Win XP exclusively on all my computers....desktop/laptops, with out any problems.......
I'm hearing MORE positives about Win 7 vs Win 8 so far out of anyone I ask including my computer tech who custom builds all my units for years..
Win 7 OS seems I would be more familiar with since
I have XP. confused1 I really don't need any problems as mentioned many times using Win 8....
& what would be my advantages in using Win 8 anyway?
I'll be in the market for a laptop & desktop soon.

Then again I could always say F*** it and go with a MAC more expensive but less problems? cool2

#387926 - 04/15/14 08:04 AM Re: ot/ How do you like Windows 8 ? [Re: Dnj]
Stevizard Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN, USA
Hi all,

I work with Fortune 500 IT Depts every day. None of the 500 have any plans to upgrade to Win8. In fact, upgrades paths are beginning to lead away from Microsoft. Google Chromebooks now account for roughly 25% of all new computer sales. Adroid & IPhone dominate the phone market. You'll see Windows sliding farther and farther from the mainstream over the next decade. By 2030, Windows will be akin to the old IBM mainframe. There won't be many out there but you'll still see them. By the end of the 2030's, those companies that stayed with Microsoft will find themselves steeped in problems and unable to complete with a world market that has been running in a totally different direction for for 3 decades. Microsoft is already far behind the technology curve and it will continue to lose ground. Companies will continue to migrate toward BYOD (bring your own device) style of computing and will offer cloud apps for word processing, spreadsheets, etc. thus replacing Microsoft Office as the preferred productivity suite.

Please don't blame me. Microsoft chose the road its walking.

Edited by Stevizard (04/15/14 08:32 AM)

#387927 - 04/15/14 08:15 AM Re: ot/ How do you like Windows 8 ? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
By 2030, I'll be akin to the old IBM 7090 mainframe - DEAD! Right now, using Windows 7 on all but one of the PCs I own, I hope these will be the last ones I'll have to purchase - HOPE! They do everything I want them to do, but knowing the good folks at Microsoft, they'll come up with something new and exciting, something that none of the new software works with, and none of the new software we frequently need to purchase, Turbo Tax, etc..., will run on Windows 7 anymore. This is the reason I now have Windows 7. I would still be using ME if it were not for that problem.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#387928 - 04/15/14 08:22 AM Re: ot/ How do you like Windows 8 ? [Re: Stevizard]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Stevizard
Hi all,

I work with Fortune 500 IT Depts every day. None of the 500 have any plans to upgrade to Win8. In fact, upgrades paths are beginning to lead away from Microsoft. Google Chromebooks now account for roughly 25% of all new computer sales. Adroid & IPhone dominate the phone market. You'll see Windows sliding farther and farther from the mainstream over the next decade. By 2030, Windows will be akin to the old IBM mainframe. There won't be many out there but you'll still see them. By the end of the 2030's, those companies that stayed with Microsoft will find themselves steeped in problems and unable to complete with a world market that has been running in a totally different direction for for 3 decades. Microsoft is already far behind the technology curve and it will continue to lose ground.

How does MAC fit into all the futureness of the computer world by 2030?

#387929 - 04/15/14 08:44 AM Re: ot/ How do you like Windows 8 ? [Re: Dnj]
Stevizard Offline

The MAC has a loyal niche market. In business, the MAC is used almost exclusively for publishing and graphic design. Those industries remain in lock-step with Apple. The IPhone also holds a place in the buying public's mind. If Apple would reduce laptop prices to the level of IBM PC-style laptops, they could gain market-share but this isn't going to happen. Apple loves their niche and will continue serving it in the future. So, it seems the door is wide open to Google Chromebook.

#387930 - 04/15/14 08:44 AM Re: ot/ How do you like Windows 8 ? [Re: Dnj]
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
2 desktop PCs on Windows 8.1. Love it, especially the fast boot or restart time. I also installed an SSD drive for the OS and other software, with a large hard drive as a secondary for all data, and that approach also speeds up the PC.

I have not experienced any significant problems, and would wholeheartedly recommend it.

#387931 - 04/15/14 08:47 AM Re: ot/ How do you like Windows 8 ? [Re: travlin'easy]
Stevizard Offline

No Gary, some time late in 2018, cures will be found for cancer, diabetes, and a host of other illnesses, which will serve to prolong life and add another 25-35 years to male life expectancy in the US.

We'll be around a long time.

Steve rocker

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online