SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#387474 - 04/04/14 01:33 AM Re: I went back to BOSE just bought another L1 System. [Re: Dnj]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: Dnj
Using a great Stereo instrument like a Tyros, S950, Pa3x,Audya, Bk9, etc, and then condensing it's stereo sound spread in which it was created for into mono is defeating the purpose altogether & you are losing alot sound wise. There is a BIG Difference in sound & if you don't hear it, I wont say anymore on this subject.

But you do realize what YOU hear on stage and what your audience hears aren't necessarily the same thing don't you? I am guessing you have never been able to go to the back of the room while you are performing to hear how much stereo separation you are actually getting back there. I am not criticizing your desire for stereo imaging but just suggesting there is no way you can realistically judge the effect further back in the room. Though I guess making a stereo recording further back in the room would give you a good indication.

#387475 - 04/04/14 04:31 AM Re: I went back to BOSE just bought another L1 System. [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Nigel I'll agree to disagree on this subject of Stereo vs Mono....
it's like PC vs Mac,.....there's never a definitive answer.

#387480 - 04/04/14 06:29 AM Re: I went back to BOSE just bought another L1 System. [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Sure there is, MAC's are better !!! LOL !!!!

#387487 - 04/04/14 07:25 AM Re: I went back to BOSE just bought another L1 System. [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Well, it's not so much of a separation thing, but, especially with Yamaha, many of the voices were created to be played in stereo and they do not sound the same when summed to mono.
That's my opinion and I'm always right. smile

#387489 - 04/04/14 07:34 AM Re: I went back to BOSE just bought another L1 System. [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Yep, the heavily stereo sampled voices do have problems, and separation never has been an issue for most players, or any audiences. And, you ARE always right.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#387492 - 04/04/14 07:43 AM Re: I went back to BOSE just bought another L1 System. [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

have you ever seen a DJ at a wedding or any other venue with only one speaker?

#387493 - 04/04/14 07:52 AM Re: I went back to BOSE just bought another L1 System. [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Yes! Many of them, and they were all using a single Bose L1 Mod II and the place will filled with wonderful sounds.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#387494 - 04/04/14 08:04 AM Re: I went back to BOSE just bought another L1 System. [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Yes! Many of them, and they were all using a single Bose L1 Mod II and the place will filled with wonderful sounds.

Gary cool

I have seen many DJ's using the Bose L1 system but always TWO of them... like I said earlier...PC vs Mac wink

#387496 - 04/04/14 08:39 AM Re: I went back to BOSE just bought another L1 System. [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I would never play my Tyros4 in mono, and when working as a demonstrator, was always required to use a stereo system...even if it meant using another company's system.

Using two Bose L1's for concert work several years ago, in a big theater, I did a few recordings on the arranger's on-board midi recorder, and walked around the place to get an idea of how it sounded. I was quite surprised to be able to distinguish stereo separation at nearly every place I stood.

Definitely a tribute to Bose's remarkable system, and, from then on it was the system I used for bigger venues.

It's not just Yamaha's samples that don't collapse well to mono...the effects used on many of the sounds, especially guitars (including those in the styles) rely on stereo for proper reproduction of chorus, delays, and rotary speaker to name only a few.

I had no problems with the alleged lack of mids in the Bose system...I got a very lovely balanced sound with a few EQ adjustments on the arranger...like any system, you do have to do some work to suit your preferred instrument's characteristics.

There is really no right or wrong, or winners, here...just like choosing an arranger, you make sure your sound system is one that suits your needs and preferences.

Ian

PS...All the DJ's I've seen using Bose systems (including the Compact) used two speakers.

#387499 - 04/04/14 08:59 AM Re: I went back to BOSE just bought another L1 System. [Re: ianmcnll]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I am not sure what kind of sound separation there may be in the back of a hall far from the speakers, but to me there is a difference in sound quality ... going back to my kn6000 I could hear the difference when using 2 speakers vs 1 ... on those occasions when I use 1 speaker I always use a Y connector so that I am at least sending both left and right signals into the one speaker ... there may not be any sound separation, but at least both right and left sounds are heard ...

And I have never seen a DJ use only one BOSE ... just sayin' ...

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online