SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#387384 - 04/02/14 10:33 AM Re: Catching Up....! [Re: captain Russ]
Happy Birthday tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: captain Russ

They frequented the restaurant I played. The farm manager was the son of my guitar tech. It's "Right place; right time".
Talent has little to do with it.
Pure luck. There are several folks her who could handle the gigs.
Russ

Russ ... excuse me, but this is pure BS!!! ... LUCK may have brought them into the place you played at, but TALENT is what got you the gigs ... and those of us who have heard your work (and far to LITTLE of it I might add!!!) know that you are quite a talented player ...
There MAY be some here who could handle the gigs musically, but I don't know how many could handle the politics, etc. ...
I always remember (and have used quite often) the quote of Branch Rickey: "Luck is the residue of Design." ... and as the Roman philosopher Seneca said: "Luck is what happens when PREPARATION meets OPPORTUNITY" ...
grin rocker

#387385 - 04/02/14 10:34 AM Re: Catching Up....! [Re: cgiles]

Originally Posted By: cgiles
Actually, I used to CLOG, but I'm eating more fiber now.
smile
chas

laugh2

#387393 - 04/02/14 11:44 AM Re: Catching Up....! [Re: tony mads usa]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Thanks, Tony. Actually, there IS a little bit of pre-planning. I generally only play at places where people who are candidates for doing business with my company frequent.

My three largest contracts came from those contacts. I also use the gigs to entertain my clients. They show up, and I only have to deal with them 15 minutes an hour (LOL).

I moved to a very private country club 2 years ago, and I felt the reduction in business. Many have told me that they went to the old place and the hostess never heard of me.

While I don't want any more gigs, I need to be visible, so people can find me and I can have guests. The head of Toyota Motor Manufacturing (located in a town 15 miles from here) was promoted to international president. When he comes into the country he always calls. Last year, it took a friend who was a member of the club to agree to have him as their guest.

I'm about to move to a neat little place about 1/2 mile from my warehouse. It's run by a former horse trainer, and is a combo of a wine shop, small wine bar/sandwich shop, and a new bourbon bar; just opened and first rate.

It's in the middle of the downtown area, with lots of the people I generally do business with as after work regulars.

So, you're right...I have to leverage what I know, and find the right kind of place, with the right kind of clientele.

Other-wise, I wouldn't bother playing bars and restaurants...don't pay nearly enough. Same thing with the Philharmonic. People who patronize Philharmonic organizations are my target folks for the business. That's why I do things like the Beau Diddley tribute and other silly stuff. That and it;s FUN FUN FUN! Other-wise it's a really nice bunch of mediocre players rehearsing entirely too often (LOL)!

I would sincerely enjoy backing you with just you on vocals and me on guitar. Now, THAT would be fun. I really like the way you craft songs.

R.

PS. People hire me not because they like my music, but they want my customers. Sometimes, they start off by saying, "I don't like jazz, but....". I have BS-ed them into thinking that having jazz is cool and sophisticated.

AND, WE ALL KNOW, THAT's A BUNCH OF CRAP (Hee, hee ).

BTW, I forgot, in my initial post here to share the lyrics to a few of my "sophisticated" parodies:

"Don't look so sad....
I know you're pregnant...
(Sorry Mr Price)

Suddenly, I'm not half the man I used to be...
there's a husband standing over me....
(Apology to Paul).

"There's nothing left of me
Since my hysterectomy.
I left my bowels and ovaries
among my souvenirs...

(GOT A MILLION OF EM, FOLKS)!

Edited by captain Russ (04/02/14 12:14 PM)

#387396 - 04/02/14 12:09 PM Re: Catching Up....! [Re: captain Russ]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
And, talk about modesty. Chas is one of the most generous and social conscientious people I know.

I'm going to nominate him as a new member of the National Honorary Redneck Society. He'll look COOL driving that blown HEMI Dodge at the next truck pull!

"Get Er Done", Chas

Ya Boy!

R.(when's them govnm't checks gonna git here?)Lay

#387397 - 04/02/14 12:55 PM Re: Catching Up....! [Re: captain Russ]

I would sincerely enjoy backing you with just you on vocals and me on guitar. Now, THAT would be fun. I really like the way you craft songs.
R.

Thank you for that compliment, Russ, it is much appreciated ... but be careful what you wish for ... I may just send you a track for you to record with ... wink

PS. People hire me not because they like my music, but they want my customers. Sometimes, they start off by saying, "I don't like jazz, but....". I have BS-ed them into thinking that having jazz is cool and sophisticated.
AND, WE ALL KNOW, THAT's A BUNCH OF CRAP (Hee, hee ).

Yeah?, well I think that's BS too grin ... when we think about it, most high end restaurants and supper clubs (not sure what the difference is confused1 grin ) even if they don't have live music, will be playing jazz through the house system ... maybe not Monk and Coltrane, but you will hear tunes by Wes Montgomery, Oscar, Brubeck, Getz, etc. so it really IS cool and sophisticated ...

#387400 - 04/02/14 02:32 PM Re: Catching Up....! [Re: captain Russ]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I'm going to nominate him as a new member of the National Honorary Redneck Society.

Well I'm definitely in the right State for it. As soon as I get DonM to teach me a couple of those guitar licks, I'll be ready......I think; ............ uh, maybe not.

BTW, learning to fly is easy if Uncle Sam is picking up the tab. Military training and a couple thousand hours of turbine time will definitely put you at the front of the line. Flying has been described as "hours of boredom punctuated by minutes of terror." The latter would mostly be the landing smile . I'm no longer a car buff but have owned 2 911S's and a 928S in the past, so that 'Dodge Hemi' might just get traded at the Porshe dealer. Of course, then I'd have to move out of state smile .

Just heard from Jim Pate (NOLA Habitat for Humanity). I'm going to have to pay them a visit to see how our money is being spent smile .

Stop working so hard. Do something fun....like go pay Don Mason a visit (stop by here on the way over - I owe you lunch anyway).

chas

#387408 - 04/02/14 03:36 PM Re: Catching Up....! [Re: captain Russ]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I'm gonna do that next winter.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#387427 - 04/03/14 04:57 AM Re: Catching Up....! [Re: captain Russ]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Stephen. I always wanted to visit in person.

Maybe we can make that happen one day. I'm thinking of making a "hit list" and hitting the road for week-end visits (Sunday-Monday-can't miss the gigs) with people I know here but haven't met in person.

You're on that list.

Russ

Russ, Thank you and if you ever get to Rhode Island you can hit 2 birds with one stone, our friend TonyMads and myself. smile

#387440 - 04/03/14 09:30 AM Re: Catching Up....! [Re: Stephenm52]

Steve ... when you comin' home? ...

#387450 - 04/03/14 12:58 PM Re: Catching Up....! [Re: captain Russ]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Hey Russ, you can always slip over to my place on July 20th and meet up with lots of guys from the zone. Still not sure how many are coming as yet, but either way it should be fun. It would be about a 10-hour drive from Lexington to here. I've made the trip a few times.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online