SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#386045 - 03/10/14 06:17 AM Re: OT - yet more health issues (neck/nerve issues) [Re: jimlaing]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Hi - thanks to all for your insights and experiences. I know that I don't want to wait too long and risk more permanent nerve damage. I need to "study up" on the surgery possibilities, so I know that risks vs. benefits etc. I don't fully understand if the (possible) epidural steroid injections, which I've heard have helped some people, are actually going to relieve the pressure on the nerve, or just alleviate the pain but leave the nerve still compressed/pinched.

I see doctor in about a week again to discuss what's next ...

Jim

#386047 - 03/10/14 07:13 AM Re: OT - yet more health issues (neck/nerve issues) [Re: jimlaing]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Jim, the steroidal injections merely decrease the inflammation and swelling in the area of injection, which takes some of the pressure off the nerve. However, they also have a negative effect on the body's natural immune system.

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#386056 - 03/10/14 07:55 AM Re: OT - yet more health issues (neck/nerve issues) [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Jim, the other negative aspect of the steriodal injections, which I almost forgot about, is when repeatedly used to relieve pain, they eventually cause a significant amount of scar tissue to build up in the injected area, thus eventually exacerbating the initial problem even more. Use caution with this my friend.

Gary cool

#386057 - 03/10/14 08:04 AM Re: OT - yet more health issues (neck/nerve issues) [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Not to 'jump on the bandwagon', but I guess I am ...In January I had gotten back to the gym, doing some walking and light exercise and about a week ago my back really started to bother me ... I am currently waiting for the doc to call with the results of some tests I had done a couple of days ago ... a few years ago I had been diagnosed with a couple of degenerative discs in my lower back ... hopefully the situation hasn't worsened too much ...

As Gary says "gettin' old ain't for WIMPS" ... frown

Edited by tony mads usa (03/10/14 08:06 AM)

#386063 - 03/10/14 08:35 AM Re: OT - yet more health issues (neck/nerve issues) [Re: jimlaing]
124 Offline

I don't think I'm going to follow this thread - could be dangerous smile. Here I am at seven-oh and problem free. That's the thing about living in the Great White North, though, you spend half of your life in a cryogenic state smile.

#386064 - 03/10/14 08:43 AM Re: OT - yet more health issues (neck/nerve issues) [Re: jimlaing]
travlin'easy Offline

One of the problems we face as Homosapiens is we began walking upright about 10,000 years before we should have in the scheme of evolution. Consequently, our spinal columns were not really meant to support significant amounts of weight. Therefore, those of us that are somewhat overweight torture our spines by posturing ourselves in such as manner that it causes early compression and herniation of the soft, pulpy substance between the vertebral areas known as discs. Smokers, exacerbate the disk herniation problem because smoking decreases the blood supply to the discs, thereby causing them to compress much earlier in life than normal. Spinal compression is also part of the aging process as well, but under normal circumstances, it's a very slow process.

So, as an old fart that has beat the $hit out of his rapidly aging body, all I can say is it has been one Hell of a ride. Would I change anything - probably not too many things that would make a significant difference. Well, maybe I would have began sailing at a younger age, but that's about the extent of the changes. wink

Cheers,

Gary cool

#386067 - 03/10/14 09:35 AM Re: OT - yet more health issues (neck/nerve issues) [Re: jimlaing]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Jim,
check with your insurance company. Some of them require a series of injections before they will approve the surgery. By the way,
the bill for my cervical spine surgery was $168,908. !!! I was told there is a ton of necessary equipment needed to monitor the nervous system during the operation.

Deane

#386093 - 03/10/14 07:26 PM Re: OT - yet more health issues (neck/nerve issues) [Re: travlin'easy]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
... we began walking upright about 10,000 years before we should have in the scheme of evolution.

Oh, THERE'S yer trouble! Those of us who were created as humans, never HAD to evolve. The Maker made us just the way we needed to be!
smile
(I know, I know ... Religion belongs in the bar - couldn't resist!)

#386098 - 03/10/14 08:08 PM Re: OT - yet more health issues (neck/nerve issues) [Re: Uncle Dave]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Well, I got the report from the Doc tonight and the GOOD news is that 1) there's no kidney stones or bladder infections or anything like that, and 2) the degenerative discs in my spine have NOT gotten much worse ... the not as good news is that the pain IS coming from those discs and the arthritis around them ... So, no surgery, shots or any other such thing, thank goodness ... just a mild muscle relaxer, some anti-inflammatory pain med, and some PT with a chiropractor ...

#386099 - 03/10/14 08:09 PM Re: OT - yet more health issues (neck/nerve issues) [Re: jimlaing]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
In my younger, wilder days, I met some people who still had skid marks on their knuckles, obviously having only recently acquired the ability to walk erect.

Good luck. Jim, and make sure you see a competent doctor/surgeon who makes the entire procedure totally clear to you.,

Ian

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online