SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#385779 - 03/04/14 02:24 AM Does YOUR mic make your vocals sound better?
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
(Quote from Colin): "I purchased a new Rode NT-1 condenser mic just for recording and purely by coincidence I did a quick recording of "The Streets of London" just to give it a trial." (End of quote).

I use two mic's. An SM58 wireless and a Sennheiser MD 421 condenser mic. I'm happy with the SM58 but really happy with the Sennheiser. It deepens and thickens my voice noticeably and makes singing almost effortless.

Colin appears to be happy with his Rode. Do any of you find that YOUR particular mic of choice changes YOUR voice in any way for the better? And, if so, HOW do you think that is?

Also, if you wanted to buy an even better mic, what would it be?

Mark

#385780 - 03/04/14 02:28 AM Re: Does YOUR mic make your vocals sound better? [Re: Mark79100]
Dnj Offline

I only use a EV n/d 967 best mic I ever used on stage.

http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=87

#385785 - 03/04/14 05:32 AM Re: Does YOUR mic make your vocals sound better? [Re: Mark79100]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I don't sing but I have at least a dozen or more mics including 5 or 6 large condensers. My favorite, by far, is my trusty old Rode NT1. I liked it so much that I never upgraded to the NT1A because I couldn't imagine it sounding better (for MY voice). The reason I have so many is because I'm a compulsive shopper and because I'm a sucker for MF's 'Stupid Deal of the Day'. That's also the reason I've got 6 or 7 guitars and basses even though I can't play a single chord on them. I'm waiting for an 'Arranger guitar' at which point I will learn 3 chords and buy one....kidding, kidding, keep your shorts on.

chas

#385786 - 03/04/14 05:55 AM Re: Does YOUR mic make your vocals sound better? [Re: Mark79100]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Are you trying to tell us there are THREE chords? OK, what's the third one? wink

I've owned dozens of different handheld mics over the past 50 years, but I like the freedom of a headset mic. I switched to the Crown CM-311A and love it. Yes, the quality and type of mic makes a huge difference in vocal quality.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#385787 - 03/04/14 06:44 AM Re: Does YOUR mic make your vocals sound better? [Re: Mark79100]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I use a vintage Electro-Voice RE-15 that I have owned for decades.

More info here: http://www.coutant.org/re15/

Ian

#385788 - 03/04/14 06:53 AM Re: Does YOUR mic make your vocals sound better? [Re: Mark79100]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
No brainer. A good mic just sounds better like a good PA. Good clarity will help you sing better. As far as helping a bad singer, no, but at least you'll hear him clearly.

I was using the typical Shures for a long time and a Guitar player in my band told me my mic sounded terrible. I never realized it. He worked at Sam Ash and got me a deal on 3 EV's for the band. What a differance !! Still use them today. I carry a Shure knockoff for people who want to do announcements. Sometimes I'm lazy and don't plug in the second mic and that will guarentee someone will want to speak. I hate it when they come up to me and go for my mic. I try to put them off until I can plug in the second mic.
And don't we all hate it, when no matter how well you explain it, they hold the mic 3 feet from their mouth or stick it in front of the PA speaker !!!

#385833 - 03/04/14 05:22 PM Re: Does YOUR mic make your vocals sound better? [Re: Bill Lewis]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
FWIW ... For gigs I use a Sennheiser e845, but for recording I use the Samson Q7 ...

#385834 - 03/04/14 05:24 PM Re: Does YOUR mic make your vocals sound better? [Re: Bill Lewis]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis

And don't we all hate it, when no matter how well you explain it, they hold the mic 3 feet from their mouth or stick it in front of the PA speaker !!!

rotf2 ... the thing is, as long as THEY think they can hear it, they think the people in the back of the room can also ...

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online