SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#385066 - 02/23/14 11:12 AM Re: Yamaha DXR 8 Speakers Maiden Voyage on Stage... [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
I agree with Don Mason - my days of lugging monster speakers are over, end, finito!

Gary cool

as originally the topic what does the weight of small 8" speakers have to do with all this old man lugging complaining? just sayin? confused1

#385069 - 02/23/14 11:44 AM Re: Yamaha DXR 8 Speakers Maiden Voyage on Stage... [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Donny, I'm glad you like those new speakers. However, you are probably the only person in this forum that I know that has had more sound systems than myself - and I've had far too many. Just sayin' wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#385092 - 02/23/14 06:18 PM Re: Yamaha DXR 8 Speakers Maiden Voyage on Stage... [Re: Dnj]
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Donny, those 8" models look very attractive. I'm surprised how expensive they are; so, I trust Yamaha has an excellent product there. Enjoy.

When I started my downsizing, it was from Peavey 15" 3-ways to Toa 12" 3-ways, to Mackie 12" 2-ways and an EV s120b sub.
Then it was Roland CM30's, and Powerwerks 50 8". Then I bought the Bose L1 Compact and the Roland BA-330.
I still have the last two, but never use the BA-330. The Bose is my go to amp; great sound, no need for stereo live.
Whether I play for ten or 110 it's the Bose.

I have no desire to go smaller - re: Nano or SMS150, etc. I never perform with only the s950, I always use an amp.
I know some of these newer powered amps are top notch, but I have no need to consider anything else, especially with the Roland and EV in reserve.

My setup is so simple and so good, why change. I constantly have people tell me how clear and pleasant my vocals and keyboards are. So enjoy your new or old equipment. Go smaller if you can, but always remember you have to be happy with the sound of your music before you can make your audience happy.

Edited by cassp (02/23/14 06:26 PM)

#385093 - 02/23/14 06:29 PM Re: Yamaha DXR 8 Speakers Maiden Voyage on Stage... [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Cassp, I couldn't agree more. At one time I lugged monster Peavey's around that required a refrigerator dolly to move them and only one at a time. If I recall, they were SP1Gs that tipped the scales at 105 pounds each, I downsized to the SP5Gs, 79-pounds each, then downsized again to the Barbetta Sona 32SCs, 33 pounds, and when I switched to the Bose L1, my back said Thanks. Since switching to the compact, it's all I really need, and like you I do not perform without an amp - even the smallest jobs.

Cheers,

Gary cool

#385094 - 02/23/14 06:41 PM Re: Yamaha DXR 8 Speakers Maiden Voyage on Stage... [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

I HAD both Bose systems thats all I'm gonna say. cool2

#385095 - 02/23/14 07:08 PM Re: Yamaha DXR 8 Speakers Maiden Voyage on Stage... [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I bought my Yamaha MS-60S powered monitors at least 20 years ago...like the newer Yamaha speakers available, they were rather expensive, around $800 each and that was way back then. However, I definitely got what I paid for, as these speakers deliver a nice full range sound without use of a sub.

But most importantly, they have worked perfectly all these years...not one problem, and so no down-time.

I have never needed to buy anything else, and besides using them for many Yamaha clinics/demos over the years, I still use these speakers every day for playing at home...the Tyros4 sounds great through them, and I always get lots of compliments about the fullness of the sound.

They are primarily short-throw speakers, not intended for long distances, and that's why I bought them...in my restaurant job, I only wanted to project my music a medium distance, so that people not wanting music, could find a place to sit where they could have more quietness.

The MS-60S's are also excellent as monitor speakers when I rent a bigger PA for a large venue.

The best system I used quite a bit for bigger locales was a rented pair of Bose L1 Standard systems with the sub on each, and in this case, I didn't even need my MS-60S as the Bose were awesome and provided great monitoring. I always run stereo, and I disliked the sound of any of the Yamaha instruments I tried in mono.

Most of my arranger's on-board effects rely on stereo imaging to sound their best so stereo is my only way to go.

The Bose systems always filled the larger venue with music, with no dead spots, and an even volume, and, the stereo field was enhanced even far off to each side, and for a very good distance in front.

I haven't tried the DXR-8 or any other DXR speakers yet, but will likely try a set at the local store when the opportunity presents itself.

Glad to hear they are working for you, Donny. I have heard others express the same positive comments.

Ian

#385233 - 02/25/14 08:38 AM Re: Yamaha DXR 8 Speakers Maiden Voyage on Stage... [Re: ianmcnll]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Loved my EV ZX1 8". As you said, what some of the better companies can do with 8"s now is amazing. Always used them above 12" EV SB122's. EV is terrific at getting more sound form smaller size and weight. No 15 or 18" subs needed. That system gets used now only if my LD Maui pair can't handle somewhere. Frank is right on with these. I just saw Fender has a new line array system- the "Audio Expo" in the Pro Gear catalog from Sweetwater that came a few days ago. Looks like it is aimed at competing with Bose compact, Fishman, LD, etc. Fender at $999. Good ahead Donny- look- I dare ya!

Fender Expo

#385236 - 02/25/14 08:48 AM Re: Yamaha DXR 8 Speakers Maiden Voyage on Stage... [Re: sparky589]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: sparky589
Good ahead Donny- look- I dare ya!
Fender Expo

rotf2

#385238 - 02/25/14 08:51 AM Re: Yamaha DXR 8 Speakers Maiden Voyage on Stage... [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Neat looking system, Sparky. A bit too heavy for this old man, though, Donny and Fran won't have a problem with the 52-pound weight. Same price as the Bose L1 Compact $999. Ain't it amain' just how many PA companies have gone to vertical arrays since Bose came out with the L1 a decade ago. wink

Gary cool

#385239 - 02/25/14 08:55 AM Re: Yamaha DXR 8 Speakers Maiden Voyage on Stage... [Re: sparky589]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: sparky589
Loved my EV ZX1 8". As you said, what some of the better companies can do with 8"s now is amazing. Always used them above 12" EV SB122's. EV is terrific at getting more sound form smaller size and weight. No 15 or 18" subs needed. That system gets used now only if my LD Maui pair can't handle somewhere. Frank is right on with these. I just saw Fender has a new line array system- the "Audio Expo" in the Pro Gear catalog from Sweetwater that came a few days ago. Looks like it is aimed at competing with Bose compact, Fishman, LD, etc. Fender at $999. Good ahead Donny- look- I dare ya!

Fender Expo

Thanx Sparky...Im glad I looked reminds me how much I didnt like either of the bose systems. frown very happy with what i have in sound reinforcement now. take care.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online