SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#384779 - 02/19/14 06:02 AM Stupid Deal of the Day! Light your act on stage?
Dnj Offline

Edited by Dnj (02/19/14 06:03 AM)

#384793 - 02/19/14 08:06 AM Re: Stupid Deal of the Day! Light your act on stage? [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
I have to say adding some lights in the right venus can add a lot to a preformance. Sometimes its not worth the extra setup work but in the right situation a big plus. I brought a cheap rotating led fixture to a DJ gig and used it sparingly so that when it went on people really noticed and enjoyed it.
A nice colored light on a preformer can be very effective too. again in the right venue.
Donny I think you should get a gig at GC !

#384795 - 02/19/14 08:11 AM Re: Stupid Deal of the Day! Light your act on stage? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
So, Donny - have you ordered one for your dance party nights?

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#384797 - 02/19/14 08:25 AM Re: Stupid Deal of the Day! Light your act on stage? [Re: travlin'easy]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
Sweetwater has floor mt LCD red blue and green these do a good job at creating a good stage look. Better then the lazier type of DJ light 59.95

#384800 - 02/19/14 08:44 AM Re: Stupid Deal of the Day! Light your act on stage? [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
So, Donny - have you ordered one for your dance party nights?

Gary cool

I'm Not a light, torch, or any other gimmicky crap on stage person,......more junk to carry needlessly.

Edited by Dnj (02/19/14 08:45 AM)

#384803 - 02/19/14 09:09 AM Re: Stupid Deal of the Day! Light your act on stage? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

I have a Bob The Flame, just order a new orange bulb for it from Planet DJ - I love it, but rarely get the chance to use it. The audiences love it too. If you'll recall, there was a guy that frequented this forum who performed down south at Hilton Head Island and used a pair of these. His forum name was "The Pro." Nice guy, and I purchased one of the light right after i saw his setup. When you're playing tiki bars at night, this particular light is a real asset and the audiences loved the mood it created as well.

I sincerely believe that proper lighting is one of the things that is often overlooked by OMB-Entertainers. Not just the lighting of the keyboard so you can see the controls better, but lighting of the entire venue. I've performed in places that the lighting was so intense that it was like performing in a gymnasium during a basketball game. Ask the manager to dim the lights to something very subtle, put some flickering candles on the tables, and the entire mood of the room changes to one where people want to get up and dance when the music comes on. Highlight the performer/player with accent lighting that flows with the music and the mood swings toward the positive side even more. Yeah, it's one more piece of gear to carry, but those lights are compact, very lightweight, and rugged. Some weigh less than that bottle of water you pack around. wink

Cheers,

Gary cool

#384805 - 02/19/14 09:52 AM Re: Stupid Deal of the Day! Light your act on stage? [Re: travlin'easy]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
I use 2 4 bar LCD. Units and control them by DMX and a foot pedal. I use for larger and outside concert events they work very good .

#384813 - 02/19/14 12:13 PM Re: Stupid Deal of the Day! Light your act on stage? [Re: musicforyourday]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: musicforyourday
I use 2 4 bar LCD. Units and control them by DMX and a foot pedal. I use for larger and outside concert events they work very good .

Ron I would love to see a video of these lights being used in your show sometime to get an idea of how they look to the audience.

#384820 - 02/19/14 12:48 PM Re: Stupid Deal of the Day! Light your act on stage? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Lights are good as "presentation" is everything.

Ian

#384822 - 02/19/14 12:59 PM Re: Stupid Deal of the Day! Light your act on stage? [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll

Ian

The music & singing trumps all facades.... cool2

#384823 - 02/19/14 01:04 PM Re: Stupid Deal of the Day! Light your act on stage? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj

Ian

Only if it is good singing and good music...if it isn't, no kind of presentation can rescue it.

Ian

#384824 - 02/19/14 01:08 PM Re: Stupid Deal of the Day! Light your act on stage? [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj

Ian

Only if it is good singing and good music...if it isn't, no kind of presentation can rescue it.

Ian

hey Ive heard GREAT musicians play in a Subway station go figure confused1 headphone

#384825 - 02/19/14 01:15 PM Re: Stupid Deal of the Day! Light your act on stage? [Re: Dnj]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
One long-time job is on a patio. Early in the season...no problem. As fall approaches, it gets darker early. the job ends at 10 PM, but I need lights from 8:30 PM on.

"Mr. Moneybags" (ME) went to Wal-Mart and bought one of those $9.95 three light tree looking stand-a-lones (black finish, for a real "pro" look). Been using it for 14 seasons. Left it outside all winter two seasons.

Still has the original three light bulbs in it.

I need to remember to depreciate it on my taxes (LL)!!

R.

#384826 - 02/19/14 01:17 PM Re: Stupid Deal of the Day! Light your act on stage? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

It's all in how it is presented...some times great musicianship can trump a bad stage look or less than stellar equipment, but there is usually a point where it all falls apart.

Many times, success merely involves being in the right place at the right time, of course, with the required amount of talent.

Success to me is being happy at what I do, being comfortable with my limitations, and sharing my music.

Ian

#384828 - 02/19/14 01:26 PM Re: Stupid Deal of the Day! Light your act on stage? [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

When we played big venues as a show band & uses an audio tech, & lighting tech, also it was certainly worth it, money wise & appearance wise, as the gig paid that kind of money.
To drag all that stuff & set it all up to a small NH, cocktail party, etc...is nuts! If a venue has adjustable lighting I'll use it to a point to my liking...otherwise who cares?
Just give me a stage, people, and my KB & a mic baby lets party!
The next day they will say ...WOW That band was great! ....
NOT, boy did you see those lights!!

tu capisci?' cool2

#384829 - 02/19/14 01:32 PM Re: Stupid Deal of the Day! Light your act on stage? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Again, presentation does not mean stage lights or fancy clothes...it just means something the audience can look at and feel good about watching.

Many people, especially non-musician and non-musical, "hear with their eyes", and even in a NH a performer, well dressed, good demeanor (eye contact/smiling), and good "stage presence" even on the smallest and humblest of stages will usually be asked back...of course, the music has to be good as well.

Ian

#384830 - 02/19/14 01:36 PM Re: Stupid Deal of the Day! Light your act on stage? [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

Again, presentation does not mean stage lights or fancy clothes...it just means something the audience can look at and feel good about watching.

Many people, especially non-musician and non-musical, "hear with their eyes", and even in a NH a performer, well dressed, good demeanor (eye contact/smiling), and good "stage presence" even on the smallest and humblest of stages will usually be asked back...of course, the music has to be good as well.

Ian

Ian the topic is LIGHTING?

as far as dress appearances just look at any music show live or TV these rock, pop, groups performers look like crap......who dresses them?....the days of dressing spiffy, Tux, suit, tie, etc, etc, is over not just in music but in so many other situations, kids in school, work place, when was the last time you saw a comedienne in a Tux like years ago, or whatever it's out of control, I personally try to look neat as possible on stage, but thats me,...too late to change it now,
anything goes,...no one cares, society let it happen.........

Edited by Dnj (02/19/14 01:42 PM)

#384831 - 02/19/14 01:56 PM Re: Stupid Deal of the Day! Light your act on stage? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Yep...and I'd want those lights to show something nice to the audience.

In my work with Yamaha, stage appearance was extremely important...the idea was to appear neat, yet not dress too fancy or showy, as, the idea was to feature the instrument and not the player.

We used lighting at almost every keyboard demo.

I believe lighting does add a positive and classy touch and it makes a difference...the trick is to use what's appropriate for the venue.

I've been playing pro almost 50 years, Donny, and yes, some things have changed, and some not for the better, but that doesn't mean that I can't continue to maintain my own values in presentation.

Ian

#384833 - 02/19/14 02:21 PM Re: Stupid Deal of the Day! Light your act on stage? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

It's the same as food - it tastes better when the presentation is top notch! Same is true for setting the mood for your performances. Those guys are performing for tips in a subway for a reason - they can't find work! This is show biz baby, not a singing or playing talent contest. It's the entire production that makes a difference. Donny dims that lights at his dance parties for a reason. It sets a mood. When you accent light anything, the stage, the performers, palm plants sitting on either end of the stage, it sets the tone. It makes it a show, and we, as performers, are showmen - nothing else.

Gary cool

#384834 - 02/19/14 03:13 PM Re: Stupid Deal of the Day! Light your act on stage? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

When I'm recording I like to dim the lights, switch on the old lava lamp, and let the mood permeate the music.

I have amber lights in the table lamps nearest my keyboard, and it really adds warmth to the room.

There would be very few situations where I wouldn't use some kind of lighting.

One of the bands I played in had a projector that shone against the wall behind the stage and it had gel slides that heated up and made all kinds of crazy images.

Ian

#384835 - 02/19/14 04:06 PM Re: Stupid Deal of the Day! Light your act on stage? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

At one time, when I played nite-clubs, I had one of those Christmas tree rotating disk lights that lit the wall behind me. The disk had three gels and it slowly rotated in front of a 100-watt bulb. After a decade, the disk motor died and I was never able to find a replacement or I would still have it today. It took up the same space as a 33-rpm record and weighed about the same as a record.

Gary cool

#384836 - 02/19/14 04:12 PM Re: Stupid Deal of the Day! Light your act on stage? [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I don't use them all the time, but when I DO - the reaction is always great.

Little light bar sits right on top of the Bose tower.

Attachments
IMG_0973.jpg

IMG_0963.jpg

#384840 - 02/19/14 05:04 PM Re: Stupid Deal of the Day! Light your act on stage? [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
I don't use them all the time, but when I DO - the reaction is always great.

Little light bar sits right on top of the Bose tower.

at least your using a Double braced X-stand .. wink

#384841 - 02/19/14 05:18 PM Re: Stupid Deal of the Day! Light your act on stage? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Those lights look great, Dave.

It's colorful without too much gaudiness.

Do you stick with just the music note pattern?

Ian

#384842 - 02/19/14 06:13 PM Re: Stupid Deal of the Day! Light your act on stage? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Neat, Dave!

Gary cool

#384845 - 02/19/14 06:46 PM Re: Stupid Deal of the Day! Light your act on stage? [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Ian,
The music notes is one of about 7-8 patterns. I switch it up during the night, and usually only have one color at a time on. I prefer the dancing green dots on the dance floor and the static stars or notes behind me.
Cool little devices - about $100 each and SOoooo tiny.

#384846 - 02/19/14 07:47 PM Re: Stupid Deal of the Day! Light your act on stage? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

The wonderful world of LED lighting has really done some miraculous things for us in the past 10 years.

Gary cool

#384847 - 02/19/14 07:51 PM Re: Stupid Deal of the Day! Light your act on stage? [Re: Dnj]
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
I have the same set-up as Uncle Dave. I mostly use them for outdoor Italian festas ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online