SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#38457 - 05/02/02 09:34 AM Stereo source recording
Anonymous
Unregistered

Most synths are equipped with stereo output these days. I'm new to recording in my home studio, and I wondered if anyone has tips on recording stereo sources like synths.
How do you pan the two channels for the best sound? Or should I just forget the stereo output and record one mono channel. That's usually an option with stereo synths, but how much of the richness of the synth sound will I sacrifice?

#38458 - 05/02/02 10:10 PM Re: Stereo source recording
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
You loose the most with effects like chorus, and flange. Also drum kits sound so much better when panned all around the spectrum. Mono is fine for simple things, but some instruments, like electric pianos - really shine in stereo - try a Rhodes sound with panning tremelo .... sweeeet !

#38459 - 05/04/02 01:31 AM Re: Stereo source recording
bitdump3 Offline

Loc: Fano, Italy
There really are no rules so just play around with both and use what sound good to you.

As the prvious post states you can move things around and get a more spacious sound.

Mono more is direct sounding.

Best thing to do is listen to some CD or records. If you have a Mono switch on your stereo compare the diffrence. You can also use the panners on your mixer if you have one.
A great example of Stereo and Mono is the Beach Boys Petsounds release with both the orig Mono mixes and the newer Stereo mixes on the same cd. You can compare the two pretty easy that way. Any old records or CD's will do. It is better to check out some true mono recording.

#38460 - 05/06/02 04:58 AM Re: Stereo source recording
bitdump3 Offline

Loc: Fano, Italy
done,
learn something new every day.

thanks

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online