SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#384095 - 02/08/14 09:27 AM Re: OT: Printer needed [Re: tony mads usa]
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I've got a Canon MG6150 Wireless Printer / Scanner / Copier. Prints direct to CD. Inkjet. Duplex. Doesn't do fax. 6 Cartridge system CMYB + Grey for photo and a bigger black one for normal text.

Excellent quality but - and this is a big but - eats ink far faster than the manufacturers figures would suggest. Internet searching suggests this is normal for inkjets, one theory is that the printer flushes the heads if it hasn't printed for a while so if you do lots of intermittent single page prints then all the cleaning uses the ink.

I am now using 3rd party cartridges (UK supplier 7dayshop) which are much cheaper than Canon's and do a pretty good job, far better than compatible cartridges I have used in the past on my previous HP models.

#384097 - 02/08/14 09:32 AM Re: OT: Printer needed [Re: tony mads usa]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Yes, I use cartridges from Environlinks. I think that's the name. Good quality, very economical.

#384102 - 02/08/14 10:27 AM Re: OT: Printer needed [Re: tony mads usa]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Go into your printer software and setup ink saver mode, as for most printing the output will be fine and if you need to print something special you can disable it for that particular print job.
Also make sure your printer is set for the paper your using as otherwise this will also use ink unnecessarily. (E.g. printing on plain paper with the printer set to inkjet paper will eat up the ink a lot faster)

Hope this helps

Bill

#384110 - 02/08/14 11:36 AM Re: OT: Printer needed [Re: tony mads usa]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Good tips, Bill. I have a new(ish) printer (unknown brand and model at this time) coming soon, being given to me by one of my former clients, complete with a full ink supply.

I haven't owned or used one before, so any tips and tricks to save on ink, as some refills appear to cost as much as the printer itself, would be appreciated.

Ian

#384123 - 02/08/14 02:17 PM Re: OT: Printer needed [Re: ianmcnll]
Duane O Online   content

Loc: Ridgecrest, California, USA
I've been using Brother inkjets for the past 5 years. Gave 4 year old one to my daughter and bought a J430W wireless at Staples for $50. The un-official Brother refills can be found on Ebay or Amazon for $1 each (red, blue, yellow, & black).

I've owned a couple of the Epsons that print directly to CD, but had trouble with ink spills and now just use Neato labels for the CDs.

Duane

Edited by Duane O (02/08/14 02:17 PM)

#384126 - 02/08/14 03:17 PM Re: OT: Printer needed [Re: Duane O]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Thanks everyone for the comments ... most appreciated ...
Well, I called our local STAPLES store - we do a fair amount of business there and they have been quite good - and spoke with one of the tech guys who told me that CANON has one of the best print qualities you can find, so with an on-line promo my wife got in an email I ordered a CANON and had them ship it to the store, saving me shipping costs ... the next day I am in the store for something else and mentioned to one of the techs I had dealt with previously about the CANON ... he said the print quality is excellent, BUT - as John mentioned above - they EAT ink ... the printer is for Lydia's business and we talked about how she would be using it and he suggested a BROTHER printer at the same price ... I just got back from STAPLES where I did an exchange on the CANON without even taking it out of the store and walked out with the BROTHER ... it was really easy ... I am just about to set it up ... as with most MOTL to TOTL 'printers' these days, it prints, scans, copies, faxes ...
Again, thanks for the input ...

BTW ... I use an 'older' (you know how I dislike the word 'OLD' grin ) EPSON R200 and tried using 3rd party cartridges which the printer did not like at all ... had all kinds of print issues, went back to the EPSON cartridges, no problem since ...

#384127 - 02/08/14 03:26 PM Re: OT: Printer needed [Re: tony mads usa]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Tony, If I would have known you were not concerned with the ink consumption, I would have gladly given you a super high quality HP - FREE!

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#384373 - 02/11/14 01:00 PM Re: OT: Printer needed [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Tony, If I would have known you were not concerned with the ink consumption, I would have gladly given you a super high quality HP - FREE!
Gary cool

Gary ... I think you misread my post ... I said I returned the CANON because it used too much ink and got a BROTHER because it uses much less and even has an 'ink saver' feature on it ... wink

#384381 - 02/11/14 02:01 PM Re: OT: Printer needed [Re: tony mads usa]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Yeah, but the price I'm offering you cannot be beat! wink Free printer - you buy the ink. Such a deal, Sheckie. wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#384437 - 02/12/14 07:46 AM Re: OT: Printer needed [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Gary, had I known about that before I purchased the printer, that would have been an option ... but now it is all set up for Lydia's office ...
thanks for the offer ...
smile

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online