SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 13 of 13 < 1 2 11 12 13
Topic Options
#383755 - 02/04/14 11:30 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
I have to admit, I'm also a little perplexed as to why Fran hasn't got a BK-9 to try out yet, given how he was all over the Prelude and GW-8. BK-9 is FAR better, and lighter too..!

no lyrics TXT display other then smf for starters & VH compared to the G70 ...rolleyes I'll let him describe the rest.
I'm sure he has reasons... confused1

Edited by Dnj (02/04/14 11:45 AM)

#383761 - 02/04/14 11:42 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Prelude and GW-8 had the same limitation... and no VH. At least he gave THEM a try. And the G70 can't display lyrics in style mode either. And that's still his #1 choice. Think again.

On the whole, as much posting about using laptops and iPads/Surface's to display charts and lyrics goes on here, I wonder why anyone gets worked up about lyrics not being in the keyboard itself..? How many here rely on JUST the arranger for charts and lyrics?

When a workaround is so easy, I simply have trouble understanding why it's a deal breaker...

#383774 - 02/04/14 12:59 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Diki]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: Diki
I have to admit, I'm also a little perplexed as to why Fran hasn't got a BK-9 to try out yet, given how he was all over the Prelude and GW-8. BK-9 is FAR better, and lighter too..!

I did buy a Prelude ..sight unseen...and a BK5 after a road test...Never a GW-8..

I haven't played a paying job since the last day of Sept (with the band)...so I am in no hurry to buy anything..I will wait till I play a BK9..although there would be no surprises for me..I know it has great sounds..like the BK5..I know the drawbar organ will be to my liking..(I like to play organ ..Gary)
The drums are unmatched..and all the editing is there..
I like that they added the 16 track sequencer, and the Chord sequencer..And I am pretty sure the audio keys could be fun..

The media player is the best that I have used..short of the MS..Great search tool and unlimted size..
The keybed I expect is like the Juno Stage..so it would be a good feel.

The biggie, I would much prefer a touch screen..I did get use to the BK5 screen, My eyes are still good, where most of you old guys would struggle.. smile
The extra button pushes ..are a pain, but I seen where updates improved the BK5, so there will be short cuts, if not now..down the road..

Lyrics not being read from a text stand point...Not interested...If I want lyrics, I simply use the SMF (the same file most make MP3's from)..and add the lyrics..It is much better and you can edit in realtime and use markers to boot..

There are plenty of tools on board to make it what ever you want...so you can see I know what the BK9 will be...maybe I am just waiting till SZoners dump their BK9 for under $1,500...you know...like the BK5's became available for $500 grin

Seriously, I am in no rush, I already play the best.. wink

Edited by Fran Carango (02/04/14 01:03 PM)

#383801 - 02/04/14 10:17 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Understood...

Check out the Tone and Drum Kit list, though. It's got a TON more sounds and kits. BK-5: 1,172 tones, 60 Drum Sets, BK-9 1,718 Tones, 77 Drum Kits.

And a bunch of those extra kits are from the SRX board... Tasty! Not to mention, for the first time EVER in a Roland arranger (I think), drum roll please...................

USER Drum Kits! ANY sound on ANY note!

Want that mirror layout from the Kurzweil's? No problem! (Anybody ever program drums on a Kurzweil? They have a non GM layout where the sounds are mirrored so LH and RH can play them all without getting tangled up - God, I wish GM had gone with that!)

Naturally, one SHOULD expect a lot more from a keyboard that is double the price. Trust me, Fran, it delivers. I played the BK-5 and wasn't really impressed. BK-9 impresses the hell out of me.

Hope the gigs start coming in again...

#383803 - 02/04/14 10:24 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Fran, I had the same reservations about the small screens, however it was not really a problem seeing them easily.
Plus if you use the Ipad the whole issue goes away.

Page 13 of 13 < 1 2 11 12 13

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online