Topic Options
#383343 - 02/01/14 07:45 AM I'm really sticking my neck out with this song LOL
Saswick Offline

Loc: Garstang, Preston, Lancashire,...
https://app.box.com/s/y7ka70unsa7sxfgox2wl

No harmony, no doubling, no safety net wink

Fingers crossed

Col

#383350 - 02/01/14 08:05 AM Re: I'm really sticking my neck out with this song LOL [Re: Saswick]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Saswick
https://app.box.com/s/y7ka70unsa7sxfgox2wl

No harmony, no doubling, no safety net wink

Fingers crossed

Col

COL... definitely one of your BEST Songs to date !!!
clap clap clap

This is one of my all time favorite songs !!.....
including the most beautiful Lyrics...
"Let Me Die In Your Arms",.......every time I perform it my eyes start to water....well done my man!!!

keeping it simple and tasteful regarding the vocals is the way to go every time, use your harmony very specifically when needed in certain songs..!

#383353 - 02/01/14 08:26 AM Re: I'm really sticking my neck out with this song LOL [Re: Saswick]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Much better...smooth and clear and you certainly have no need of a doubler.

Ian

#383361 - 02/01/14 09:23 AM Re: I'm really sticking my neck out with this song LOL [Re: Saswick]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Now you've done it! Damned that was good. Nice smooth vocals, perfect style selection - Sure glad you live on the other side of the pond or you might be giving me a run for my money here. wink

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#383362 - 02/01/14 09:25 AM Re: I'm really sticking my neck out with this song LOL [Re: Saswick]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Great job on a great song Col! No criticism here.

#383382 - 02/01/14 10:40 AM Re: I'm really sticking my neck out with this song LOL [Re: DonM]
Saswick Offline

Thanks' a lot everyone, perhaps I should quit while I'm ahead LOL

All the best

Col

#383384 - 02/01/14 10:45 AM Re: I'm really sticking my neck out with this song LOL [Re: Saswick]
Dnj Offline

Thanks' a lot everyone, perhaps I should quit while I'm ahead LOL

All the best

Col

Might be time for Beatle tribute song after all its 50 years this month the came to the USA!! just sayin' wink

#383385 - 02/01/14 10:47 AM Re: I'm really sticking my neck out with this song LOL [Re: Saswick]
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Nice. Simple arrangements for simple songs.

About the only thing I might suggest is, solo the guitar track, listen to how much (or little) reverb there is, and roughly what size room it is in, then, on small intimate things like this, try to match the vocal reverb to the instrument reverb.

Think of it this way... you are trying to give the impression that someone is standing there with a guitar and a bass player, singing the song. So, you are all standing in the same room. Ergo, the same reverb characteristics. So now, the reverb DEPTH becomes a 'distance' parameter. The more reverb, the further back in the room you are standing.

Thing is, maybe the bass player is standing behind you a little bit, but that guitar and you are up front, center stage. So be careful to not push your vocals deeper into the room than even the instruments.

Panning and reverb especially, think of them as a way to paint a picture. Use them to place your players where they would naturally stand if they were on stage, and the believability of the mix goes up an order of magnitude.

Of course, nothing to stop you painting an abstract picture, or an impressionist picture, but if you are shooting for realism, have a care with that reverb! This sounded like the room was too small to be that loud in the mix. If you want wet, make it bigger, or simply dial it down until it become just a bit more than dry...

But you are definitely going in the right direction! Maybe next time, add a string pad under the guitar for the middle section, drop it out at the end, you've got a full arrangement with simplicity at its heart..!

#383388 - 02/01/14 10:52 AM Re: I'm really sticking my neck out with this song LOL [Re: Saswick]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Col, I thought the guys were just being kind to you......but that was really good..

#383395 - 02/01/14 11:31 AM Re: I'm really sticking my neck out with this song LOL [Re: Diki]
Saswick Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki

About the only thing I might suggest is, solo the guitar track, listen to how much (or little) reverb there is, and roughly what size room it is in, then, on small intimate things like this, try to match the vocal reverb to the instrument reverb.

Think of it this way... you are trying to give the impression that someone is standing there with a guitar and a bass player, singing the song. So, you are all standing in the same room. Ergo, the same reverb characteristics. So now, the reverb DEPTH becomes a 'distance' parameter. The more reverb, the further back in the room you are standing.

Thing is, maybe the bass player is standing behind you a little bit, but that guitar and you are up front, center stage. So be careful to not push your vocals deeper into the room than even the instruments.

Panning and reverb especially, think of them as a way to paint a picture. Use them to place your players where they would naturally stand if they were on stage, and the believability of the mix goes up an order of magnitude.

Of course, nothing to stop you painting an abstract picture, or an impressionist picture, but if you are shooting for realism, have a care with that reverb! This sounded like the room was too small to be that loud in the mix. If you want wet, make it bigger, or simply dial it down until it become just a bit more than dry...

But you are definitely going in the right direction! Maybe next time, add a string pad under the guitar for the middle section, drop it out at the end, you've got a full arrangement with simplicity at its heart..!

Thank you Diki, I take your point, I'll try tweaking the mix as you suggest, maybe see if I can slip a string section into the mix as well. I thought the original mix sounded a bit flat so I increased the reverb without thinking. By this time I should know better.

Fran: I didn't think these Guy's did kind, I'd much rather have my butt kicked and told when thing's aren't as they should be.

My most vicious critic is the one I live with if I can please her and I almost did with this one, things are on the up.

Must find something to follow this with, any suggestions.

BTW Donny: I already did my Beatles tribute "In My Life" but I'll grind out another one if you wish. singer

Kind Regards

Col

#383396 - 02/01/14 11:34 AM Re: I'm really sticking my neck out with this song LOL [Re: Saswick]
Dnj Offline

BTW Donny: I already did my Beatles tribute "In My Life" but I'll grind out another one if you wish. singer
Kind RegardsCol

Col one of my favorites is "It's Only Love" headphone

Edited by Dnj (02/01/14 11:38 AM)

#383403 - 02/01/14 12:05 PM Re: I'm really sticking my neck out with this song LOL [Re: Diki]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA

Diki, I have to disagree about using a string pad..He is capturing a small stage..and where are you going to fit a string section, according to the great suggestions you made about placement..

#383408 - 02/01/14 12:20 PM Re: I'm really sticking my neck out with this song LOL [Re: Saswick]
Diki Online   content

String quartet, or octet? How small a stage are you talking about, Fran?!

Anything that can't fit an octet, that's not a stage... that's a postage stamp! You place the singer/guitarist in the middle of a semi-circle of string players, that's still pretty intimate.

Thing is, Col used a TINY room around the voice. It it were matched to the size around the guitar, there'd be room for the string section. And all this is simply a guideline. Adjust your room for the size of the ensemble you intend to put in it. Plus, the size of the room and the size of the STAGE are two different things. You can have small stages in quite large rooms, and vice versa. The POINT was consistency, rather than size...

#383417 - 02/01/14 12:45 PM Re: I'm really sticking my neck out with this song LOL [Re: Dnj]
Saswick Offline

Donny: believe it or not, coming from within 30 miles of Liverpool I've never heard that song before, so you'll have to make do with "Yesterday", tomorrow or the next day or ASAP LOL

Col rotfl

PS: I don't do requests for everyone you know.

#383420 - 02/01/14 12:50 PM Re: I'm really sticking my neck out with this song LOL [Re: Diki]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
String quartet, or octet? How small a stage are you talking about, Fran?!

Anything that can't fit an octet, that's not a stage... that's a postage stamp! You place the singer/guitarist in the middle of a semi-circle of string players, that's still pretty intimate.

Thing is, Col used a TINY room around the voice. It it were matched to the size around the guitar, there'd be room for the string section. And all this is simply a guideline. Adjust your room for the size of the ensemble you intend to put in it. Plus, the size of the room and the size of the STAGE are two different things. You can have small stages in quite large rooms, and vice versa. The POINT was consistency, rather than size...

All good points Diki, in theory, but in practice - one rarely hears a band of larger than 2 pieces without vocal processing. That practically eliminates the natural sound of the room/space. As a singer first and musician second, I make my voice sound the way I want before I even consider any other sonic enhancements. Your advice was good from an engineers point of view, but as a live performance - I think Col made the right decisions.

#383423 - 02/01/14 12:54 PM Re: I'm really sticking my neck out with this song LOL [Re: Saswick]
Diki Online   content

Col, if you are doing your mix inside the DAW, do you have a convolution reverb? Those are extraordinarily good at emulating rooms, halls, theaters and the like. Think of them as 'sampled rooms'.

For stuff like this, try recording the instrument parts bone dry, then use a theater convolution reverb (or whatever size you want) and send the instruments with enough to make them sound live, and your vocal just a BIT drier...

I have had great success making small stage and theater projects sound like they WERE in a theater...

#383448 - 02/01/14 01:46 PM Re: I'm really sticking my neck out with this song LOL [Re: Diki]
Saswick Offline

Diki: Yes I am mixing in Cubase and there does not appear to be a convolution reverb, I actually used a Plate Reverb in Annie's song as per your previous suggestion.

I used the style from the G70, Ballroom category - Slow Waltz with only the bass, very light drums and two Guitars, effects as per style.

Should have used another variation to bring in the strings but was busy at the time LOL, have to get a FC-7.

Col

#383454 - 02/01/14 02:03 PM Re: I'm really sticking my neck out with this song LOL [Re: Saswick]
Diki Online   content

You could always just have strings on the LH and pad up the middle with that, or even PLAY a string part as an audio overdub in Cubase (probably the best way to get the voicings right).

But all you are really looking for is a color to add to spice up the middle, and give you somewhere to build and ebb to and from. Doesn't have to be strings... a mellow string synth pad or other pad will do just as effectively. Essentially, you are looking to break up the 'sameness' through the song. Even a fill and a busier Variation for the middle chorus (maybe the guitar picks just a bit busier or another guitar joins in) will do the trick...

And yes, the FC-7 is my secret weapon! I could not play without one.

#383460 - 02/01/14 02:45 PM Re: I'm really sticking my neck out with this song LOL [Re: Diki]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Col ... you stuck your neck out and you head is still attached !!! ...really nice job ...
We can always learn from constructive criticism such as Diki's ... but I don't think that makes what you did wrong,- nor do I THINK that is what he is saying ... yours is just different from what he is suggesting ...

#383504 - 02/02/14 03:11 AM Re: I'm really sticking my neck out with this song LOL [Re: tony mads usa]
Saswick Offline

Thanks' Tony, the breathing is getting better with practice and as a result the confidence is growing. We'll see what the future brings.

All the best

Col

#383513 - 02/02/14 07:16 AM Re: I'm really sticking my neck out with this song LOL [Re: Saswick]
big741.1 Offline

Loc: Edmonton,Canada
Awesome!

clap

#383514 - 02/02/14 07:26 AM Re: I'm really sticking my neck out with this song LOL [Re: big741.1]
Saswick Offline

Originally Posted By: big741.1
Awesome!

clap

Thank you very much, I've never had an awesome before blush

Col

#383517 - 02/02/14 09:21 AM Re: I'm really sticking my neck out with this song LOL [Re: Saswick]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I had a few when I was young and single. They are probably old and fat like I am now though. smile

#383533 - 02/02/14 10:05 AM Re: I'm really sticking my neck out with this song LOL [Re: DonM]
Saswick Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
I had a few when I was young and single. They are probably old and fat like I am now though. smile

Old and Fat, I don't believe it Mr mason rotfl

Col

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online