SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#38298 - 07/12/00 01:49 AM i'd love recommendations re: computer setup
tezuker Offline

i am just about to get a studio happening and i need a new computer. i have a jx305 which i want to use via midi. and i use all sorts of other analogue sounds(not midi capable). i need to record at least 3 inputs at once, all digital cd quality. any suggestions???

#38299 - 07/12/00 05:05 AM Re: i'd love recommendations re: computer setup
Korgasm Offline

Loc: Australia
MAC- Digidesign Digi001 looks like the best deal!! If you're not happy with it's midi side than simply sync up your favourite sequencer and you're laughing!!!!

PC- Steinberg Studio Pack with Cubase VST, Wavelab and audio card with ADAI I/O etc. Looks really happening.

You can also use Logic Audio 4.2 and above with both these systems. With the Digi001, a good dedicated 2 track editor like Bias Peak or TC Spark wouldn't go amiss. The Steinberg producer pack already comes with Wavelab 2.0 for 2 track editing and CD burning but I strongly suggest spending the extra and upgrading it to 3.0!!

All the very best! Korgasm.

#38300 - 07/12/00 03:04 PM Re: i'd love recommendations re: computer setup
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Allthough a good advice, a good alternative would be;

Pentium III 550 or higher 256MB ram
Delta 1010 audiocard
CoolEdit pro (as easy to understand as hardware )
A freeware midi sequencer if you have only
one midi keyboard.

If you don't mind studying a lot;
Logic Audio Platinum or
Cakewalk Pro audio or
Cubase VST

additional I would advise a
midipatchbay if you want to hook up
more midi devices.

Fred

#38301 - 07/18/00 07:39 PM Re: i'd love recommendations re: computer setup
Korgasm Offline

I must say that after getting a demo of the Digi001 with Mac the other day, I'm very impressed with this 'all in one' system. Yes it's midi side is not as good as say Cubase or Logic but to be honest, many users wouldn'ts get into the more 'nitty gritty' features available in these programs.

The user interface is just so cool with only 2 main windows as opposed to having to open up multiple windows in other programs.

This set up offers alot for the money (with the exception of SMPTE capabilites that is). If you're not planning to do much work with video/movie stuff, then give this set up a good look.

#38302 - 07/29/00 10:18 AM Re: i'd love recommendations re: computer setup
daVinci Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Go for a MAC. I've been on both sides of the fence. I used to hate MACS until I got one. It is a thousand times better. Software I'd say Digital Performer. You can save your tracks as a Pro Tools file and take it somewhere pro if you wanted. Cubase is cool but I don't find the interface as good as Digi Performer.

#38303 - 08/02/00 05:17 PM Re: i'd love recommendations re: computer setup
bigc Offline

Just read a heck of an article about choosing a Pc for music production. I’m a new at this and had questions. It help me maybe it could help other newbies. Go to platinumvibe.com, click on Lab Notes.

Just thought you’d like to know,
Bigc

#38304 - 08/02/00 05:25 PM Re: i'd love recommendations re: computer setup
Smitty Offline

Loc: Holtwood, PA. USA
I would agree with De vinci on the mac as I have used both systems as well, but I would add an exception to it. If you plan on using the computer for anything other than studio, get a PC, as it has many more options available . Linux is more stable than W/98 and there are some great programs out there for it( thats not to say win 98 OS is a problem.
In last months Electronic Musician magazine the editors opening notes reported some problems he was having with the OS in his Mac, but macs have a gtood reputation for the studio. Hope I didnt completely confuse you here, I like them both. I own PC now because of cost considerations and havent been sorry for it. If I were going esoteric high end and money was no object I would have a Mac in the studio and a PC for home use.

#38305 - 08/04/00 07:42 AM Re: i'd love recommendations re: computer setup
Korgasm Offline

In my experience, MAC'S just seem so much more stable and straighforward to use than PC's. Windows IMHO seems to be a weaker copy of the MAC OS (sorry If I've offended anyone here!). However, fact remains that PC's dominate the computer market for business and home use. They are alot cheaper than MAC's but fact remains that when you buy a MAC you are buying everything from the one place and not a whole heap of parts put together from all different places!!!! Yes it might seem I'm anti PC- I'm not Pro PC or MAC but my many times pulling my hair out using a PC for midi/audio work has given me a bit of a sour taste in my mouth for using them in any serious recording stuio application. My advice- buy a MAC for the Studio and a PC for home.

Yes Digital Performer is also very powerful (and also underratted unfortunately compared to Logic and Cubase). I will check out DP but I know Logic quite well. Cubase has never impressed me although I know many people who use it- it's overly colourful IMHO and too gimmicky in it's approach to doing things. However, Logic, Cubase and Digital Performer are all very powerful programs and you can't go wrong with any of them. Opcode's Studiovision is also great but it's future looks dim at present! If you want something really poweful midiwise but more limited in audio (mabey something to hook to something like Protools) check out Cakewalks Metro 5.0- VERY POWERFUL MIDI FEATURES FOR A CHEAP PRICE!

As for audio cards- if not requiring 24bit audio, Korgs 1212 card offers alot for the money with it's ADAT, analogue and SP/DIF I/O and ADAT sync capabilities. Also check out MOTU's 2408 mark 11 for more upmarket work. Plenty of other options also exist.

#38306 - 08/24/00 08:48 AM Re: i'd love recommendations re: computer setup
Andrew123 Offline

If you end up going pc I would recommend at least a 667 mhz The price differential is not too steep.If you get a 550 I think you will end up spending more later because you will have to replace the motherboard,processor,and Ram. (because you are going from 100mhz to 133mhz system bus speed)
If you spend a little more and get the 667mhz
you will already have that 133mhz bus speed, and hopefully that bus speed will last you for a couple years. If it does, the only thing you will have to replace is the processor.

I have heard that macs are the way to go for music applications, but you're looking at a lot of extra money. If you have the budget make some calls, and try to talk to some professionals.

#38307 - 09/11/00 04:14 AM Re: i'd love recommendations re: computer setup
MORPH! Offline

Loc: Laguna Beach, California, Unit...
If youre going to do this for a while,
go with a G4 you will be glad you did

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online