SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#383093 - 01/30/14 08:42 AM Re: Yamaha Motif Version Upgrade 1.5 [Re: Joesax]
124 Offline

Touch screens, sliders all the way for me. It must be that size matters, Joe. I've never had a problem with Korg screens, though on some models they do look a bit crowded.

#383100 - 01/30/14 09:25 AM Re: Yamaha Motif Version Upgrade 1.5 [Re: 124]
Joesax Offline

Loc: Southern New Jersey
I am sure it's just me. I have the same problem on my Smart Phone.
Tyros 3, Motif XF6, Quad Amp/Pre-Amp/DAC, Quad Monitors, Tascam Digital Recorder

#383228 - 01/31/14 01:58 PM Re: Yamaha Motif Version Upgrade 1.5 [Re: Joesax]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
TBH, Korg's touch screen is a bit clunkier, and also less responsive to touch than the G70's. I've played my friend's PA3X, and have an older Triton. Neither was as snappy and precise as the Roland.

The Kronos's screen tries to cram too much onto one page, making precise selection a bit tricky, but the page that calls up the Performances is much larger. Maybe even TOO large! That's the thing about touchscreen OS's... It's a lot harder to get it all right than you would think, and playing the wrong system can give you a negative impression of the entire idea.

Trust me on this one... Roland got it RIGHT. Everything is the right size, right spacing, no screen is too crowded, few have too little on them. The links to other pages you might need is logical, nothing gets buried too far down you tend to use.

An obvious candidate for Roland to ax, LOL

#383327 - 02/01/14 06:31 AM Re: Yamaha Motif Version Upgrade 1.5 [Re: Joesax]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Joesax
Actually with the Flash Expansion, which I have not done yet, you can add tons of new Performances and 3rd-Party Voice Libraries to the Motif XF and the MOXF. If you maxed out the Flash (2GB) and loaded it up you would have a new Workstation from a sound perspective.

I've just filled the flash of my new MoXF with three libraries:
- CP1 piano (containing the main piano sample from the Yamaha CP1 piano!)
- Inspiration in a flash (a compilation of many versatile samples from brass and sax to ethnic sounds)
- Garritan Personal Orchestra Lite (a symphony orchestra library with samples customized for the Motif XF).
The first two were for free, the third cost 129$.
This way I have about 600 MB of additional samples, and it has upgraded the factory soundset dramatically.

#383354 - 02/01/14 08:29 AM Re: Yamaha Motif Version Upgrade 1.5 [Re: Joesax]
Joesax Offline

How does the sound of the Intergra compare to the Moxf
Also does the Integra have Arps, DRUM Tracks or any accompaniment or is it just voices.
Tyros 3, Motif XF6, Quad Amp/Pre-Amp/DAC, Quad Monitors, Tascam Digital Recorder

#383380 - 02/01/14 10:33 AM Re: Yamaha Motif Version Upgrade 1.5 [Re: Joesax]
Diki Offline

The missing step in much of this 3rd party arranger content is the care to balance it with the rest of the sounds...

Arranger players are strange ducks. Unlike WS players, we expect to be able to change from any sound to ANY sound, from any drum kit to any OTHER drum kit, and not have to immediately go hunting a slider or two to bring the volume up or down, or reduce or increase the reverb, or make the snare drum quieter, etc..

Without that, you either have a bunch of work ahead of you to balance it all yourself, or your heart is in your mouth any time you decide to call up a new sound you aren't 100% sure you know what you are going to have to grab!

More sound designers need to be made aware of this if they are designing for arrangers.

#383397 - 02/01/14 11:39 AM Re: Yamaha Motif Version Upgrade 1.5 [Re: Joesax]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Joesax
How does the sound of the Intergra compare to the Moxf
Also does the Integra have Arps, DRUM Tracks or any accompaniment or is it just voices.

I'll comment it in detail later. Generally, for my acoustic sounds, especially grand piano, strings, brass, woodwinds, I rate the Integra clearly superior to the Motif XF/MoXF factory waveROM (without additional libraries in the flash).

#383409 - 02/01/14 12:23 PM Re: Yamaha Motif Version Upgrade 1.5 [Re: Joesax]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK

#383413 - 02/01/14 12:27 PM Re: Yamaha Motif Version Upgrade 1.5 [Re: Joesax]
Joesax Offline

Wow. I am surprised
Please tell me more about the Integra

#383415 - 02/01/14 12:30 PM Re: Yamaha Motif Version Upgrade 1.5 [Re: Joesax]
Diki Offline

LOL... piano on a 49 note controller..!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online