SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#383086 - 01/30/14 08:13 AM Re: OT - Korg All Stars playing Europa at Winter NAMM [Re: Nigel]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Really strong! Nigel, notice, Frank's guitar is a Carvin he's been endorsing for a few years.

Russ

#383151 - 01/30/14 04:46 PM Re: OT - Korg All Stars playing Europa at Winter NAMM [Re: captain Russ]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Yes I had noticed he was using Carvin. They really are great guitars. I have been looking at them for sometime now and see one in my future.

The bass player in my band uses Carvin 4 string and 5 string basses. They really have a great sound and they feel fantastic. I love that you can customize all their guitars to personalize them completely.

I always enjoy looking through their catalog when it arrives in the mail.

#383152 - 01/30/14 05:04 PM Re: OT - Korg All Stars playing Europa at Winter NAMM [Re: Nigel]

I started buying Carvin in 1963, when my dad was stationed at a base in Victorville.

I have lap steels, fretted and fretless basses, including a neat double neck with both, a bunch of double-neck guitars, and I have been using Carvin amplification for going on 50 years./

Problem is, the instruments, while of great quality, are never going to appreciate, like most Gibsons and Fenders.

Great players, though.

Russ

#383153 - 01/30/14 05:27 PM Re: OT - Korg All Stars playing Europa at Winter NAMM [Re: captain Russ]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Originally Posted By: captain Russ
Problem is, the instruments, while of great quality, are never going to appreciate, like most Gibsons and Fenders.

Great players, though.

Russ

Certainly if they are being bought mainly as an investment then that is important to note. But if an instrument is being acquired to make a musical statement then being a "Great player" is all that matters.

I also noticed that Joe Walsh uses Carvin guitars much of the time.

#383199 - 01/31/14 09:00 AM Re: OT - Korg All Stars playing Europa at Winter NAMM [Re: Nigel]

Now, Joe is a really underrated player. I've seen him on Daryl's House...he kicked A**!. Then, he was in the pit playing beautiful nylon string leads on a recent tribute to Paul McCartney. He was also playing with Paul on one of the evening show...unrecognized. Of course, Diana Krall was playing piano, so there were some pretty heavy players on that Gig.

BTW: Daryl's house is a real eye opener. I always thought that Hall and Oates were musical lightweights.

Hall evidently has his act together on several levels.

The show (Daryl's place) is really good!

Russ

(On the TV stuff with Paul, Joe was "stylin" in a tux!).

Edited by captain Russ (01/31/14 09:01 AM)

#383200 - 01/31/14 09:05 AM Re: OT - Korg All Stars playing Europa at Winter NAMM [Re: Nigel]

Nigel, Godin is the other brand that makes good players at reasonable prices. My patio guitar now is a Godin A6...piezo and humbucker...two outs...$699.00. And my "beater" jazz guitar is a 5th avenue. Rory Hoffman plays the same one (just way better than me).

The imported electric Guilds I just got are really nice, also.
I played a Starfire III in my college Rock and Roll days; then switched to the one you know and will own one day.

Guitars....man, I LOVE them!

Russ

#383264 - 01/31/14 04:10 PM Re: OT - Korg All Stars playing Europa at Winter NAMM [Re: captain Russ]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Originally Posted By: captain Russ

BTW: Daryl's house is a real eye opener. I always thought that Hall and Oates were musical lightweights.

Hall evidently has his act together on several levels.

The show (Daryl's place) is really good!

Russ

At the Ventura County Fair Kerry and always go to hear the musical acts in the main stadium as they always have major artists play which make it a very cheap show for the price of the fair admittance.

The last one was a few months back and we saw Styx play who were very professional. The following night we saw Hall & Oates .... wow they really knocked it out of the park. They had the audience of all ages yelling for more. The backing band were outstanding and complimented the vocals to perfection but both Hall and Oates played very solid guitar performances to drive their songs. And they are one of those acts where every song is a hit.

I read an article recently about the TV show and their recent tours creating a fresh interest in them from younger audiences who weren't familiar with them before.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online