SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#382833 - 01/28/14 08:48 AM Re: Tossin' and Turnin' by The Shueys [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Laura and Jonathan ... nice job ... it must be great that you both have the passion for music and entertaining ... it is no wonder that you are successful ...

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Good performance, Jonathon. You two really work well together. I'm surprised, though, that you're not using laptops for the lyrics and music.
Gary cool

... maybe because sheet music might cost less than two laptops ??? wink

This is not a criticism, but I was more surprised by the lack of a vocal processor - which obviously is not needed when they sing together - but might have enhanced Laura's back up singing by adding a couple of harmony voices ...

#382837 - 01/28/14 09:32 AM Re: Tossin' and Turnin' by The Shueys [Re: shueymusic]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Tony, I just purchased a backup laptop for $195, which translates to about 75 songs in sheet music form, and that's if you find that cheap. The average sheet here goes for anywhere from $2.99 to $4.99 in the music stores, and not much less from online sources. However, there are still lots of great sites where you can download the sheets for free and you can easily learn a song by listening to it on YouTube. I do that a lot these days. The laptop is a great tool for working pros.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#382839 - 01/28/14 09:37 AM Re: Tossin' and Turnin' by The Shueys [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
The laptop is a great tool for working pros.
Gary cool

... obviously it is, Gary ... that's why I had the wink wink at the end of the sentence ... grin

Edited by tony mads usa (01/28/14 09:37 AM)

#382843 - 01/28/14 10:05 AM Re: Tossin' and Turnin' by The Shueys [Re: shueymusic]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Johnathan, just curious. I thought I remembered you having a VP770. Did you get rid of it in favor of the VP7? I love my VP770 as it had a lot of features ie. Audio Key, Supernatural Brass, etc., long before they showed up on the BK9.

chas

#382849 - 01/28/14 11:43 AM Re: Tossin' and Turnin' by The Shueys [Re: cgiles]
shueymusic Offline

Loc: Lebanon, PA
As for the vocal processor... We still have the Roland VP770 and the VP7. We only use them for bigger shows. My wife and I have been doing a few smaller gigs and some non-pay gigs. The Bologna Fest was a non-pay show without much set-up time built in... no extra harmonizer for them!!

We use mostly lyric sheets or chord charts that we create. I have the sheets in front of me in the order of the show that we planned out. BUT we are currently turning those sheets into PDF files in order to load them into our iPads. We play in church every Sunday for a contemporary service but our gigs only number 8-14 per year without advertising. So, paper is fine for us right now and will always be our backup.
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#382953 - 01/29/14 11:49 AM Re: Tossin' and Turnin' by The Shueys [Re: shueymusic]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I must admit, I'm kind of leaning a bit towards using .WAV's a lot more for my shows...

Then I can run my SMF's through ALL my gear at home for the best sound (including VSTi's, the K2500S and Triton's etc.), and simply take the .WAV to the gig.

About the only thing I would miss is the Mark/Jump capability, and I think I have a workaround for that using the Audio Keys feature, so I can add extra sections to the song if the floor packs late or wants to dance longer than the regular structure...

Even when I'm working with WS's, I usually like to START with an arranger 'capture' as an SMF, primarily to get the drums and any guitar parts down first. I can create those from scratch, but I usually find, if there's a style that works well for the song, getting the drums down with the BK saves me a bunch of time, and I can still edit it afterwards in a DAW to add little change-ups and mess with the fills so they aren't always the same, stuff like that. Then I'll replace out the bassline, and anything else that lacks good voice leading.

But for WS only SMF's, sounds like you haver a great handle on it all, Johnathan. That little BK-9 is a sleeper, isn't it? LOL

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online