Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#382506 - 01/25/14 10:03 AM Re: New gear [Re: zuki]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Jim, don't run off - we still love you.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#382509 - 01/25/14 10:30 AM Re: New gear [Re: zuki]
zuki Offline

Thanks everyone. I was just kidding and not looking to draw attention to myself smile

But...that board is amazing. I just want to ace this thing and THEN add the arranger. Let the imagination flow....

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#382512 - 01/25/14 10:35 AM Re: New gear [Re: zuki]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Jim ... what happened to the PA900 ?

#382524 - 01/25/14 11:50 AM Re: New gear [Re: zuki]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Something like the BK-7m with that MOXF8 (that's what you meant, isn't it? Not MOFX, right?) would probably give you all that you are likely to miss from an arranger along with all that is best from the MOXF8 without having to haul another keyboard around.

#382536 - 01/25/14 01:26 PM Re: New gear [Re: Diki]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
the More I listen to the Demos on the MOXF 8 the more Impressed I am I going to go play one for myself it is very interesting and priced very well RJ

#382539 - 01/25/14 01:49 PM Re: New gear [Re: zuki]
travlin'easy Offline

I had the opportunity to play an MOX8 while in the Florida Keys - the piano sounds were absolutely awesome - probably the best of any synth I've heard. Of course, it helps if the guy playing the keyboard knows how to play the piano, which I DO NOT! When the guy that owned it played a bit of Floyd Kramer's Last Date, it was the best of the best performances - he was pretty amazing.

That said, I need more than that from my arranger, and while that MOX8 sounded great, it was a pain to work through the settings to get it ready for the next song. Lots of buttons to push, and his dead time between songs approached 3 minutes when things were gelling. I like the ease of navigation I now enjoy with the S-950 and all the predecessor arrangers I've owned in the past.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

#382540 - 01/25/14 02:05 PM Re: New gear [Re: travlin'easy]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
if I where to get one I would not use it for songs I would use T4 T5 for tht I would use for sounds Piano, organ layers ambiant type of fills looping stuff that T 5 does not do but wait maybe T5 does I am waiting my new T5 the other one had some problems so I will spen time with that unit before looking at anything else althow I am going to go play one just to see.

#382556 - 01/25/14 04:22 PM Re: New gear [Re: zuki]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I think a lot of the more forward looking arranger players here have lamented the lack of arpeggiator features on arrangers (the two are quite different). Until someone finally melds the two together, neither does the job of BOTH.

The thing about arps on a WS that differs the most from an arranger is that EVERYTHING must be cued a bar in advance. We all have got very used to the system that, when we ask for a fill, we get it IMMEDIATELY, in time with the music. Ask for it on beat 2 or 3, you get it to drop in on beats 2 or 3.

But workstation arp players, AFAIK, even if you have an arp fill (not a whole lot of fills in most of the factory content!), if you ask for it on beat 2 or 3, you either get nothing until beat one of the NEXT bar, or you get the arp playing the second you ask for it, but it starts on the one of the fill, whether the arp player plays it on the one or not...

In a way, it's like Intro and Ending divisions, or calling Variations without a fill... fine if you call them up in advance. Not so fine if you want them in the middle of a bar!

Adding this one simple element (starting an arp on the beat that it is asked for, in the middle, that is) to WS arp players would allow us to use them as arrangers fairly easily, especially if these one-shot arps (that's what a fill is) are allowed to have a destination arp so that a particular fill/arp goes to another arp which is the next Variation in arranger-speak.

Until they do, though, you have to change HOW you play quite considerably.

#382559 - 01/25/14 04:47 PM Re: New gear [Re: zuki]
travlin'easy Offline

I don't know about other brands, Diki, but with Yamaha you have an option to either have the fill come instantly, or have it wait till the next beat.

Gary cool

#382561 - 01/25/14 04:49 PM Re: New gear [Re: zuki]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Same with Korg

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online