Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada

#382287 - 01/22/14 01:26 PM Re: BK9 Problem ? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
..I.

#382289 - 01/22/14 01:31 PM Re: BK9 Problem ? [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
Or you could just READ the manual carefully, and TRY STUFF OUT!

I think that's the step many are scared of... Back up your data properly, what have you got to be worried about? I learn more from being wrong 10 times than I do from being right once! Press buttons, move knobs and sliders, see what happens!

I am not sure why so many have had big problems understanding the BK series. I've got no-one on speed dial at Roland holding my hand... I just dive in, use the index in the manual as much as possible, try to concentrate on one thing at a time, and keep a good track of what I have done, so the result of it gets linked mentally to what I did.

Thing is, nowadays, people use arrangers in such utterly different ways, from MP3 playback machines to power users that want full knowledge of every single feature, it is hard to imagine a DVD that could cover it all, certainly not something a manufacturer can afford to put out for free. Then factor in updates, that often change some basic things, and what does the poor manufacturer have to do? Do it all over again?

Sorry, but my TV, my receiver, my cable modem, my sound system, my microwave and my sonic toothbrush came without instructional DVD's..! Somehow, I figured it out. You want spoon-fed, you gotta pay for it!

Trouble is maybe you didnt know this diki, ....but there are some really great people out there with much more experience then you that are willing to help a fellow musician,....manuals mostly suck IMO. And I always appreciate there help when needed,...I also give what I can to anyone who asks

Edited by Dnj (01/22/14 01:48 PM)

#382293 - 01/22/14 01:45 PM Re: BK9 Problem ? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Diki Offline

Maybe you haven't noticed, Donny, but I'm one of those people helping out others, over at Roland-Arranger.com, and often here, too.

Manuals don't suck. They are how I learned, along with a willingness to just TRY stuff and see what happens! What sucks is many people's stick-to-it-ness, and patience and focus...

#382315 - 01/22/14 04:02 PM Re: BK9 Problem ? [Re: Diki]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Originally Posted By: Diki
Or you could just READ the manual carefully, and TRY STUFF OUT!

I think that's the step many are scared of... Back up your data properly, what have you got to be worried about? I learn more from being wrong 10 times than I do from being right once! Press buttons, move knobs and sliders, see what happens!

I am not sure why so many have had big problems understanding the BK series. I've got no-one on speed dial at Roland holding my hand... I just dive in, use the index in the manual as much as possible, try to concentrate on one thing at a time, and keep a good track of what I have done, so the result of it gets linked mentally to what I did.

Thing is, nowadays, people use arrangers in such utterly different ways, from MP3 playback machines to power users that want full knowledge of every single feature, it is hard to imagine a DVD that could cover it all, certainly not something a manufacturer can afford to put out for free. Then factor in updates, that often change some basic things, and what does the poor manufacturer have to do? Do it all over again?

Sorry, but my TV, my receiver, my cable modem, my sound system, my microwave and my sonic toothbrush came without instructional DVD's..! Somehow, I figured it out. You want spoon-fed, you gotta pay for it!

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Diki

Did that. Used a test Thumbdrive and tried every combination I could think of. Notated them all along the way . If you read the manuel on Saving Makeup Tool Edits its very vague. Thats why I didn't get the step of NOT choosing my Performance list, just highlighting it.
I was a Technology Teacher in a Middle School, and maybe I should be embarrassed by the fact that the BK9 threw me a loop but I'm not.
I noticed with kids that they don't have the attention spans to read detailed manuels. The younger they are the worse. They want to SEE and DO -very quickly, right Dave ! ( He teaches also ) Talk too long to explain something and they're glassy eyed. I'm like them, read that manuel a number of times and didn't get it. I tried and tried. Had they just listed the keystrokes it would of been a lot easier. Spoonfeed me and let me digest the information.
All I was suggesting was a DVD of the "basic" functions of the manuel done live, in conjuntion with using the manuel to refer to- for EX: all the edits you could do in Makeup Tools. Do just one live and let the manuel esplain the rest. I would of gotten that missing step if I saw someone do it once.
AND I'm willing to pay for it. Paid for the subpar VHS on piano tuning and still had to figure a lot out on my own.
My suggestion was to cash in on your expertise. Damn, you like money don't you ??? Knowledge is power--and money !! Just a side project like teaching private lessons, but using todays technology.
Again I thank you and Fran for your input. At first it didn't make sense but through a few trials I got it and today spent a few hours redoing the edits I lost.
Love the BK9

Edited by Bill Lewis (01/22/14 04:31 PM)

#382382 - 01/23/14 12:29 PM Re: BK9 Problem ? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Diki Offline

I'm sorry, but nowadays, you make one DVD, CD, whatever and sell it, the next minute it's up on Pirate Bay or something like it, and there goes the money..!

It has turned into Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves out there when it comes to copyable content. If Roland want to contact me and pay ME for something, fine (though I imagine they have people far more qualified!), but my days of trying to sell something by myself are long gone!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online