SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#382135 - 01/21/14 10:08 AM BK9 Problem ?
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Can anyone out there help.
Problem : Saving a Style back to "my" Preformance List after editing with Makeup Tools.

I'll try to keep it simple:
-Choose a Style from internal BK9 onboard Styles
-Edit it with Prefomance Edits
-Hit SAVE it goes to a preformance list. BK9 will make a new one for you if you haven't chosen a previous one ( I renamed the list ) All good so far
-Choose the Style again from the list and Edit it with Makeup Tools
-Hit Quick Menu and Save
*** PROBLEM: all that the right screen shows is the upper level Folders. SONGS PREFORMANCES, Etc. If I hit Write it here is doesn't save the edits to the Style on my Preformance list. How to I get the Makeup Tools version saved on my Preformance List , not in my Preformance Folder ????
I've tried every combination of Saving I can think of and Roland Support has not gotten back to me yet. If you can help I'd REALLY appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

#382142 - 01/21/14 10:44 AM Re: BK9 Problem ? [Re: Bill Lewis]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Bill,
I sold my BK-9 but I had similar problems trying to save changes. I was told to use the style creater to do the saving and this did work for me. Wish I could help more.

Deane

#382143 - 01/21/14 10:44 AM Re: BK9 Problem ? [Re: Bill Lewis]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I can't remember how it was done on BK7m and don't have BK9 YET, but ask Diki, he can tell you.
www.roland-arranger.com

#382145 - 01/21/14 11:14 AM Re: BK9 Problem ? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

Thanks Don. All in all the BK9 is a winner and I'm sure its something easy thats being overlooked. Good luck on your BK9, I think you'll love it.
Deane, sorry you let yours go but you have others to work with.

I sent Diki a PM also. I'm trying to cover all the bases. I spent hours over a few days editing all my Styles, about 60 of them. When I went to check immediatly after editing they were OK. Its when you load another Style and then go back to the other that you find the Edits didn't Save. All that time !!! Arrrrgggg !!!

The manuel is vague at best about this. Again I'll say, put a camera up above the keyboard and let an expert go thru all the functions. Give the DVD away with the keyboard. It really couldn't cost that much to do.

#382159 - 01/21/14 12:32 PM Re: BK9 Problem ? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis
Can anyone out there help.
Problem : Saving a Style back to "my" Preformance List after editing with Makeup Tools.

I'll try to keep it simple:
-Choose a Style from internal BK9 onboard Styles
-Edit it with Prefomance Edits
-Hit SAVE it goes to a preformance list. BK9 will make a new one for you if you haven't chosen a previous one ( I renamed the list ) All good so far
-Choose the Style again from the list and Edit it with Makeup Tools
-Hit Quick Menu and Save
*** PROBLEM: all that the right screen shows is the upper level Folders. SONGS PREFORMANCES, Etc. If I hit Write it here is doesn't save the edits to the Style on my Preformance list. How to I get the Makeup Tools version saved on my Preformance List , not in my Preformance Folder ????
I've tried every combination of Saving I can think of and Roland Support has not gotten back to me yet. If you can help I'd REALLY appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Bill, you have to save the style as a user rhythm..first..Then save the performance using the user rhythm..

#382164 - 01/21/14 12:39 PM Re: BK9 Problem ? [Re: Fran Carango]
Bill Lewis Offline

Bill, you have to save the style as a user rhythm..first..Then save the performance using the user rhythm..[/quote]

Huh ???? Damn I feel stupid !! How do I do that ???
Wish you had a BK9 , and you SHOULD__ LOL !!! so you could give me the exact keystrokes. The manuel says use the wheel to choose where you want the Style to go. All I get is the upper level folders.
Just heard from Roland. They said to attach one of my Styles so they could try it.

#382166 - 01/21/14 12:44 PM Re: BK9 Problem ? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Yep... that's the step everyone forgets about. If you edit the style with Makeup Tools, you then have to save it to the My Rhythms folder. You THEN have to go to the Performance and load the new, USER style from the USB stick. Then you save the Performance.

TBH, there aren't many arrangers that allow you to edit the ROM style and save it back to the SAME slot in the ROM styles area. I think some of the better Korg's do this, but most everything, if you edit the style, you have to save it as a user style.

I think the problem for many on the Roland comes from losing track of which mode they are in when they decide to do a 'save'. ONLY from the Makeup Tools (or the Style Creator on the BK-9) will you save a style to the My Rhythms folder. If you have backed out of the Makeup Tools to do something with the Performance, if you hit the Save button there, it saves the Performance, NOT the Style. Pretty logical, if you think about it, but it catches many out, apparently.

#382179 - 01/21/14 01:12 PM Re: BK9 Problem ? [Re: Diki]
Bill Lewis Offline

Thanks, stay tuned. I have to run and errand now but as soon as I get back its out to the garage studio and try to figure this out. The Manuel is very incomplete on this. I can't be the only one having this problem or else most users never edit in depth using the Makeup Tools

#382184 - 01/21/14 01:25 PM Re: BK9 Problem ? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Just remember to do a save WHILE IN MAKEUP TOOL MODE...

I'd also edit the name of the style you save, so that you don't get confused about what has been edited and what is stock. This will also make it apparent to you if you load the Performance, and the original style is still Linked to...

#382202 - 01/21/14 03:36 PM Re: BK9 Problem ? [Re: Diki]
Bill Lewis Offline

Diki, Fran

Thanks !!! Using your guidelines I "think" I've got it. Tried it a few times and I think I'm good. The trick is when you go back to your Proformance list DO NOT press the data wheel. Leave the name of the list highlighted and press Write.

You guys should do the DVD thing I mentioned. I bet with Worldwide sales you would do OK.
I once paid a good sum for a Piano Tuning tutorial on VHS. Super bad video but second best if you can't find someone to teach you in person.

Thanks again

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online