SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#382058 - 01/20/14 10:05 AM Re: Tyros 5 styles on Ketron SD2 VS Korg PA600 [Re: Dnj]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Donny,
Perhaps Dan can jump in here and provide accurate info but as I understand things vArranger works best with the Ketron SD2 or similar unit which is what I use. I have tried pedals but prefer just scrolling with my finger - works ok for me especially on the iPad. The trick is to spend the time to do the controller button and slider setups which is easily done right in vArranger. Even a midi dummie like me can do it. Yes, the Roland A-800 Pro controller is a first class piece of equipment - key bed feel is very good too.

Deane

#382060 - 01/20/14 10:17 AM Re: Tyros 5 styles on Ketron SD2 VS Korg PA600 [Re: DAN.2000]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Lets be honest here, though. Without the original T5 style's audio, it isn't really a comparison, is it?

Overall, I'd say, if those SD-2 and PA600 kits are the best choice to match the Yamaha ones, the drumkit mapping needs improvement. Plus, panning seems strange. Some of the SD-2 examples felt like the snare was pushed off to the left.

When vArranger plays these styles into the sound source, is it generally asking for GM2 type sounds, or is the mapping going deeper into the best sounds the modules make?

I'm also hearing these styles a lot drier than I think the original might have had. And sorry, but an Intro and an Ending (both of which are essentially SMF's, not style play)... you aren't throwing chord changes at the style. That's where it all becomes easier to hear.

Not to mention that awful vibrato sound at 10:56! Wow! What was THAT on the T5? LOL

Maybe, at least with the PA600, you can create kits and sounds that match the Yamaha's original overall sound a BIT better, but so far, I'm afraid it all reminds me of some cheap 15 year old arranger, and I can get one of those for less than the software alone!

Thing is, play a PA600 style alongside, and you start to see what gets 'lost in translation'... I've said many times, the performance and the SOUND are intrinsically linked. Each sound makes you play a certain way. Each combination of sounds makes you play them differently. Change the sound, and you change how well the performance played into it works. No two sax sounds respond the same way to the same data, and don't even get me STARTED about kits! PA600 sounds great playing its OWN styles, but these translations almost make me think it is a different, cheaper arranger.

I think vArranger is a great IDEA, but, as with using VSTi sources, if you aren't using the sound source that the style creator used to make the style on, you are always going to get mixed results.

#382062 - 01/20/14 11:20 AM Re: Tyros 5 styles on Ketron SD2 VS Korg PA600 [Re: DAN.2000]
DAN.2000 Offline

Loc: FRANCE
I just have noticed that when I played this video on Youtube, the sound was A LOT better than here ! Don't know why...

I don't have any doubts that the Tyros 5 will sound better than this !

T5 is very new, and I didn't worked a lot on the mapping
You are right, I need to remove the vibratos of some sounds

So DIKI, you are right, you will never get the perfect sound with styles without the original sound engine.

But... I will continue anyway to improve things in many directions smile

GM-Ketron-VST-SoundFonts-Korg/Roland/Ketron/Yamaha/vArranger Styles&sounds...

Dan
https://www.varranger.com

#382088 - 01/20/14 09:00 PM Re: Tyros 5 styles on Ketron SD2 VS Korg PA600 [Re: DAN.2000]
Henni Offline

Loc: South Africa
Hi all,

Please enlighten me also. If I use my Audya, can I load unmodified Tyros 5 styles into it, hook my midi out to a PC and then play these styles using VA as the sound source?

I'm not interested in midis, can I play these styles live as I would play any other Audya style?

Kind regards,

Henni

#382091 - 01/20/14 10:49 PM Re: Tyros 5 styles on Ketron SD2 VS Korg PA600 [Re: Henni]
Jez Offline

Loc: India

Henni, If I understand you correctly, you need to play back the Tyros 5 styles using the Audya Engine.. right ?

You copy the Tyros 5 styles to the vArranger style folder. Select Audya as the MIDI OUT in the settings for the vArranger.
Remap the style and RH sounds if required to use the Audya sounds(VCE sounds etc.)

You may need to load the .ins file for Audya to list out and be able to select the Audya sounds.

vArranger works best with the SD-2 /SD1/ SD4/SD5/SD1000 soundset.
Audya has many sounds which are far better than the above SD series. The vArranger has a user friendly interface for Live and detailed use and can be quickly used to assign, save and recall settings.

vArranger is flexible in that it does support SF2, .ins files and even vsti instruments with options of having upto three MIDI OUTs possible per channel.

Perhaps Dan can help you more on this.

Regards,
Jez

#382093 - 01/21/14 12:42 AM Re: Tyros 5 styles on Ketron SD2 VS Korg PA600 [Re: Jez]
DAN.2000 Offline

Yes Jez is right.

You can't load Yamaha styles on Audya, but you can load the T5 styles in vArranger who will use your Audya as the master keyboard and as the sound module.
You just need to connect the USB cable to the PC

I did not tested this configuration during much time along with my audya to see if it stable enough to use it on live gigs.

You can use some tabs of the Audya like variation ABCD, FILL... to control vArranger, because it can accept sysex

Dan

#382094 - 01/21/14 01:26 AM Re: Tyros 5 styles on Ketron SD2 VS Korg PA600 [Re: DAN.2000]
Henni Offline

Hi Dan & Jez,

Tx for the info. What is the price of vArranger?

Kind regards,

Henni

#382095 - 01/21/14 02:03 AM Re: Tyros 5 styles on Ketron SD2 VS Korg PA600 [Re: DAN.2000]
Henni Offline

Hi Dan,

I've found your forum & off course the price. Will this work with my Audya?

Regards,

Henni

#382116 - 01/21/14 08:44 AM Re: Tyros 5 styles on Ketron SD2 VS Korg PA600 [Re: DAN.2000]
DAN.2000 Offline

Yes, it will

Dan

#382225 - 01/21/14 08:08 PM Re: Tyros 5 styles on Ketron SD2 VS Korg PA600 [Re: DAN.2000]
Henni Offline

Hi Dan,

Let me just make sure I understand correct:

1. I load i.e. Tyros 5 styles into vArranger.
2. I set up some midi & Sysex channels via USB to vArranger on my laptop..
3. I play my Audya normally using internal styles.
4. I can also play my Audya using Tyros 5 & other styles from vArranger on my my PC.
5. All my intros, fills, variations etc works direct from my Audya.
6. I can add part of Audya styles to play along with vArranger.
7. I either use voices from my PC soundcard or via USB cable direct from my Audya or mix & match to my liking,.
8. I can set up my registrations so that all I do is select a new registry. That will determine whether vArranger, the Aydya or both will play back. I can always mute all style channels on the Audya for that specific registry.
9. There are no noticeable latency problems.
10. vArranger will reckognize & respond to all normal chords played on the Audya.
11. Can I select the vArranger specific style to be played direct from the Audya using registries?

Do I understand the above correct? If so, how can anyone NOT have your software? It will save me buying any other keyboard, use my single Audya as master and be able to play styles correct from most popular brands without any conversion other than balancing etc. Yes, I know I cannot have the multipads or audio features of the Tyros 5, but with the Audya, who cares! I'll have the ability to add audio loops to already fantastic styles, much more functional than multipads.

If I understand correct, you have yourself a serious customer. That is after I've settled my account with Klaus, that is.

Kind regards,

Henni

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online