SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#381921 - 01/19/14 07:06 AM Re: Todays Maiden Voyage with Mackie SRM 150 [Re: Diki]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
I've a pair of these for monitoring on stage in a band situation.

TBH, I wouldn't use them for FOH. They deliberately (because lows for monitors is not a good idea!) have next to no lows, and aren't really flat by any stretch of the imagination.

I doubt they will sound better than the built-ins on your S950, but I'll be interested in hearing your experiences.

Unless I added a small sub, I wouldn't use mine, that's for sure.

I agree, toys not big boys time, play your ipad through it thats the limit
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#381945 - 01/19/14 10:18 AM Re: Todays Maiden Voyage with Mackie SRM 150 [Re: Dnj]
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Do you have ANYTHING constructive to say Tony?

Or is it lonely over there?

#381954 - 01/19/14 12:29 PM Re: Todays Maiden Voyage with Mackie SRM 150 [Re: Diki]
Tony Hughes Offline

Do you have ANYTHING constructive to say Tony?

Or is it lonely over there?

That's rich coming from you Diki, I will post that mirror to you!!
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#381962 - 01/19/14 02:22 PM Re: Todays Maiden Voyage with Mackie SRM 150 [Re: Dnj]
Diki Online   content

Post some playing tips, Tony. Make some suggestions about arranger improvements.

Or just sit and snipe every post.

Your choice.

#381966 - 01/19/14 03:21 PM Re: Todays Maiden Voyage with Mackie SRM 150 [Re: Dnj]
rosetree
Unregistered

So do you believe the technical specifications in this case? The Mackie SRM150 is supposed to have 150 W, I suppose RMS, anything else ("PMPO") would be idiotic as a specification. If it does have 150W RMS, how could it be no stronger than the on-board speakers of the S950, which are rated 2 x 15 Watt? Maybe it has less bass, ok.

#381971 - 01/19/14 03:43 PM Re: Todays Maiden Voyage with Mackie SRM 150 [Re: ]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: rosetree
So do you believe the technical specifications in this case? The Mackie SRM150 is supposed to have 150 W, I suppose RMS, anything else ("PMPO") would be idiotic as a specification. If it does have 150W RMS, how could it be no stronger than the on-board speakers of the S950, which are rated 2 x 15 Watt? Maybe it has less bass, ok.

All these magical wattage output numbers etc, are mostly BS, manufacturers use as bait to make people buy,....I instead only use my ears when I buy speaker gear, headphone .....if it sounds good to me and fits MY needs I buy it,.......down the road if it don't,....it's gone in a minute no big deal it's only gear.

Edited by Dnj (01/19/14 03:43 PM)

#382038 - 01/20/14 08:46 AM Re: Todays Maiden Voyage with Mackie SRM 150 [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Edited by Dnj (01/20/14 08:50 AM)

#382049 - 01/20/14 09:07 AM Re: Todays Maiden Voyage with Mackie SRM 150 [Re: Dnj]
Diki Online   content

OTOH, few of us crank our gear up to the maximum, and really listen to how it sounds. It can get painful, and few of us have the ears to really test how distorted it's getting.

The SRM's may 'peak' at 150W, but even according to their spec sheet http://www.mackie.com/products/srm150/pdf/SRM150_SS.pdf they are 100W sustained power. But the really telling specs are, it's 10db down at 60Hz, 3db down at 100Hz. And there's a high frequency rolloff, too.

Like most hotspots, it's DESIGNED to emphasize the vocal range of frequencies, to help you hear your voice clearly on stage in a band. It's not designed to be a flat speaker system for full range sources. At what it is designed for, it's a great product (I have a pair!). And, TBH, compared to the built in speakers of most arrangers, it is quite comparable, except for maximum volume.

But that's more an indictment of the built in speakers, than a ringing endorsement of the SRM150's!

I have yet to hear ANY built-in speakers that were even CLOSE to flat, they ALL emphasize mid-range frequencies... This is why you'll find the mastering EQ's and compressors in arrangers are set up to CUT mids, and boost bass and treble. Take all that stuff off, you quickly hear what they actually sound like! Thing is, all that EQ quickly chews up your headroom, and things start to get ugly as you bump against the power amp ceiling and the design of the cabinets.

There's a REASON studio monitors are not tiny flat little 4" speakers! And there's a reason PA speakers aren't tiny little flat 4" speakers!

And, if you have the ears to hear, play your arranger through a full range stereo system at home, as loud as you can stand it, then play it AT THE SAME VOLUME through the built-ins, it's going to get ugly!

Not just the bass, but the top end gets shrill, mids get distorted, it basically just craps out. But what do you expect from 10-30W? LOL

#382052 - 01/20/14 09:19 AM Re: Todays Maiden Voyage with Mackie SRM 150 [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

OTOH, few of us crank our gear up to the maximum, and really listen to how it sounds. It can get painful, and few of us have the ears to really test how distorted it's getting.

The SRM's may 'peak' at 150W, but even according to their spec sheet http://www.mackie.com/products/srm150/pdf/SRM150_SS.pdf they are 100W sustained power. But the really telling specs are, it's 10db down at 60Hz, 3db down at 100Hz. And there's a high frequency rolloff, too.

Like most hotspots, it's DESIGNED to emphasize the vocal range of frequencies, to help you hear your voice clearly on stage in a band. It's not designed to be a flat speaker system for full range sources. At what it is designed for, it's a great product (I have a pair!). And, TBH, compared to the built in speakers of most arrangers, it is quite comparable, except for maximum volume.

But that's more an indictment of the built in speakers, than a ringing endorsement of the SRM150's!

I have yet to hear ANY built-in speakers that were even CLOSE to flat, they ALL emphasize mid-range frequencies... This is why you'll find the mastering EQ's and compressors in arrangers are set up to CUT mids, and boost bass and treble. Take all that stuff off, you quickly hear what they actually sound like! Thing is, all that EQ quickly chews up your headroom, and things start to get ugly as you bump against the power amp ceiling and the design of the cabinets.

There's a REASON studio monitors are not tiny flat little 4" speakers! And there's a reason PA speakers aren't tiny little flat 4" speakers!

And, if you have the ears to hear, play your arranger through a full range stereo system at home, as loud as you can stand it, then play it AT THE SAME VOLUME through the built-ins, it's going to get ugly!

Not just the bass, but the top end gets shrill, mids get distorted, it basically just craps out. But what do you expect from 10-30W? LOL

10-15pp....low volume....= SRM 150 success!

#382056 - 01/20/14 09:48 AM Re: Todays Maiden Voyage with Mackie SRM 150 [Re: Dnj]
Diki Online   content

On the whole, I have a feeling the Nano's do a better job of being flat for a quiet gig than the SRM's. Not even a whole lot more expensive (a pair of SRM's will cost you about $500, plus stands), FAR better at the low end and top end.

Donny, if you still had the Nano's, would you still preferred to go out on the low volume gig with the SRM150's?

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online