SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#381819 - 01/18/14 01:10 PM Re: Serious Demo T5 [Re: Fran Carango]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
Peter is a good demonstrator...he is not a great player...as in the top 10 percent...maybe better than average. smile

When he played the solo instruments on this video..he was unrealistic...his phrasing was not as a flute, sax, or trumpet player would play..and as mentioned ..zero breathing room to even sell a real performance..

I think he depends more on the Yamaha gimmicks than actually playing realistically..
It is also very noticible ..everything he plays is like playing a piano..Real horn players ..lay back a bit in phrasing...that alone would help..

I have an old VHS tape, maybe I can convert it to an MP4...It is Roland's Eric Persing, in mid 80's demo of Roland samples with I think an A series controller..He used a breath controller...as Diki mentions if you are thinking or in this case playing as a breath player...it comes across as real..

BTW: the sample library Eric was using did sound every bit as real as today's stuff..

Just my opinion grin
Meet Eric..

Tony, I think you should read my post again...or better yet, have someone read it to you smile
I read at least 3 other comments that agree with my opinions.."Realistic way of playing a flute, sax, trumpet.."
If it has to be explained any clearer to you...you just don't get it!!

Lionstracs owner is "Dom" not "Don"..another example of senile grin
Hopefully the only thing you are shooting with...is a camera..we don't need another wacko out there with a gun.. smile smile smile smile smile

Hey Fran bet you won't forget Dom in a hurry, at least he didn't get this silly old gits money, that's how senile I am, anyway Fran got a bit of respect for you now you are at least using my name at last, anyway Dom or Don everyone on SZ knows exactly what I mean, they don't need you to correct me.
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#381824 - 01/18/14 01:25 PM Re: Serious Demo T5 [Re: Tony Hughes]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Nope i won't forget Dom...he never refused to help me...he gave me the original MS X-76..I only paid shipping from Lee...He sold me updates at cost or a small mark up....Nope I won't forget Dom....Now everyone on SZ knows what I'm talking about....

#381825 - 01/18/14 01:25 PM Re: Serious Demo T5 [Re: travlin'easy]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Diki, that's why they have a hold feature on the left hand so the player can lift his or her hand and use the pitch bend, push buttons, etc... Guys like Don Mason are a treat to watch perform, mainly because his left hand only touches the left hand chord for a fraction of a second, then it quickly goes to the pitch bend device for his guitar emulations, which are absolutely incredible.

Gary cool

Gary,

I'm sure you get Diki's point about how a lot of bends seem to occur at chord changes. It's not that big a deal, as evidenced by DonM's guitar emulations, but it's an issue for some.

With me, I've been dealing with that for years, and it's never a bother. I just do the best I can with the hand I've been dealt. The Tyros4 doesn't have a chord sequencer, which would make it easier, but I wouldn't buy another brand just for that feature, and give up the sounds I love on my Yamaha.

I'm not that much of a perfectionist...I just want the listener to be at least able to identify the instrument I'm emulating at the time. That's good enough for me.

Ian

#381827 - 01/18/14 01:34 PM Re: Serious Demo T5 [Re: Fran Carango]
ianmcnll Offline

Nope i won't forget Dom...he never refused to help me...he gave me the original MS X-76..I only paid shipping from Lee...He sold me updates at cost or a small mark up....Nope I won't forget Dom....Now everyone on SZ knows what I'm talking about....

I was kind of rootin' for Dom, as he had the testicular fortitude to attempt something new, and, he even tried to include us arranger players, the finicky lot that we are.

He certainly seemed very passionate about what he was doing, and I admire that in a person.

He also seemed like a nice guy.

Ian

#381840 - 01/18/14 02:05 PM Re: Serious Demo T5 [Re: Saswick]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I'm a horn player. T'bone was my college major.

My problem in arranger mode is, I KNOW what I want to play (and can generally play it!), the trouble is, chording gets in the way.

The big difference is generally, keyboard players are content to have the machine put the 'tricks' in for them, and are just happy that they occur at all! But horn players know WHEN they want the tricks, and it often coincides with chord boundaries.

This is very easy to test for yourself. Make an arranger backing sequence or SMF (or use your CS!). Now play a sax solo over the top with BOTH hands. Now go back and listen to how often you bent at the same time the chords were changing.

If you are getting the sax part realistic, it will be almost every time you change chords!

#381853 - 01/18/14 03:18 PM Re: Serious Demo T5 [Re: Saswick]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I think guitar is easier to emulate than sax, but either is far easier if you don't have to change chords and have left hand free for the bends, mods, strips, beams, etc.
I don't particularly like the SA stuff, preferring to do more myself, but that's probably because I haven't taken the time to learn to play them properly--old dog, new trick syndrome.
Toughest to do while playing chords is pedal steel. Everything seems to occur as the chord changes.
Being a trumpet player originally, I know what it's supposed to sound like, and what it can do, including range and limits.

#381863 - 01/18/14 04:01 PM Re: Serious Demo T5 [Re: Saswick]
ianmcnll Offline

I use the SA Buttons on the wind instruments about 1/3 of the time...the wheels are just that much easier to use to add very subtle pitch offsets. The beauty of the buttons is that you can usually preset a bend or trill by pressing the button a tad before you hit the note, so it does help a bit when a chord change would otherwise make it difficult to use the wheel.

The pedal steel on the Tyros4 is pretty realistic, but the bends do seem to want to be activated at chord changes. I also like to layer two guitar patches, with only one responding to the pitchbend wheel...that way I can bend one note up to be in unison with the other.

The SA/SA2 sounds themselves (winds, strings guitars etc.) are excellent nonetheless, so I don't mind the trade-off.

I went to quite a few seminars at Yamaha Head Office in Scarborough Ontario after I completed the Electone course, where we were instructed in the ranges of the orchestral instruments, and that has proved valuable for using the arranger.

Ian

#381865 - 01/18/14 04:05 PM Re: Serious Demo T5 [Re: Saswick]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Of course, you are aware that you can use a standard foot pedal and do the bends as well, thus allowing you to work on those left hand chord changes at the same time. Whoops, I forgot - Donny don't need no stinkin pedals! wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#381867 - 01/18/14 04:11 PM Re: Serious Demo T5 [Re: Saswick]
ianmcnll Offline

I have used the pedal for bending, Gary, and it does a pretty good job, but now I'm using it as a volume pedal 100% of the time.

I find it far more useful in that mode.

When I comped behind a vocalist or soloist I used to have one registration button for the comp sound volume, and another louder one for my leads. I now have the volume pedal set to control only the Right Hand sounds, and it works much better than the former method.

Ian

#381882 - 01/18/14 10:24 PM Re: Serious Demo T5 [Re: Saswick]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The problem with bending using the expression pedal is, a sax can bend BOTH ways. And you want the expression pedal to make phrases tail away, or swell...

There simply is no easy way round the problem unless you are content to let the machine decide for you where and when the 'tricks' are going to happen.

I am pretty confident I have never heard a convincing SA sax part that wasn't done after the backing was laid down, and probably edited in a sequencer, as well. If you listen to the factory demos, it is MORE than obvious...

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online