SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#381397 - 01/14/14 04:10 PM Re: MyLaptop crapped out today Need a 10" tablet with? [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I stopped thinking of my iPad as a replacement to a laptop - it's not. It's a new tool. A fresh approach to the internet and your own stuff. New apps make it so easy to personalize to your life ... it's the best made, best designed product I've ever bought. I was very used to the layout and functionality of my laptop, but this is clearly better. The union between my desktop Mac, iPhone and iPad is seamless, painless and SO convenient. I never get viruses - no blue screens - just great performance, night after night ... and all day at school. It's become my notebook, my jukebox, my dictionary, my file cabinet, my sketchpad, well .... my everything creative "go-to toy"
Donny, You'll hate it because it's not a clone of your phone, but for someone with an apple mindset ... there's no competition.

#381400 - 01/14/14 04:58 PM Re: MyLaptop crapped out today Need a 10" tablet with? [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
People ..you are all getting "toy" minded.. smile

No tablet..ipad or Android is going to replace a laptop..

They are limited (Ram), nearly impossible to "hot rod" them...poor performance when multi tasking...

Apps are "demo" versions of real programs..Example Garage Band..compare their App to the full version...I don't want to give up quality performance for a gimmick use..

If you must get a new toy...don't lock yourself into i tunes...get an Android.. grin

All this lightness and inadequate gear is making me dizzy confused

#381408 - 01/14/14 05:42 PM Re: MyLaptop crapped out today Need a 10" tablet with? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I have had a Motorola Xoom android for a couple years. It easily runs a word processor, has nice picture, very good camera, has USB and card slots, etc. I got it refurbished off Woot for a little over $200.
It doesn't multitask well. You can have several tabs open, but only one at a time can do stuff.
I really haven't integrated into my music setup, but I got it with that intention.

#381411 - 01/14/14 05:54 PM Re: MyLaptop crapped out today Need a 10" tablet with? [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I can play a music file in the background while I search the net for a lyric, and keep a notebook window open in the background to instantly access a chord chart if need be. The iPad multitasks extremely well, and it's no where near "locked in" to iTunes ... it just shares better because of it. The program I use to play files can display lyrics, search the iTunes playlist, change key and tempo - REMEMBER the changes per tune and it stops after each song ... if you choose that option.
Apple/Bose people know what I'm talkin' about.
smile

#381416 - 01/14/14 06:04 PM Re: MyLaptop crapped out today Need a 10" tablet with? [Re: DonM]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: DonM
I have had a Motorola Xoom android for a couple years. It easily runs a word processor, has nice picture, very good camera, has USB and card slots, etc. I got it refurbished off Woot for a little over $200.
It doesn't multitask well. You can have several tabs open, but only one at a time can do stuff.
I really haven't integrated into my music setup, but I got it with that intention.

Don I have a Archos 70...similar to your results, except the camera stinks..I think my ram max is 256 mb..I don't think any tablet exceeds 500 mb...Not enough ram to multi task..It does have 250g HD..

Edited by Fran Carango (01/14/14 06:05 PM)

#381424 - 01/14/14 11:34 PM Re: MyLaptop crapped out today Need a 10" tablet with? [Re: MacAllcock]
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
of course for modern Microsoft addicts the Surface is pretty good, I think the pro models are the ones that really hit the spot.

One of my bugbears with the android tablets is that a lot of the models get stuffed with bloatware which I don't need. Lenovo seem quite bad for this. If android is the answer then as you are already used to Samsung I'd suggest sticking with the brand to minimise the learning curve and we know it is quality gear

#381437 - 01/15/14 06:51 AM Re: MyLaptop crapped out today Need a 10" tablet with? [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
People ..you are all getting "toy" minded.. :)No tablet..ipad or Android is going to replace a laptop..
They are limited (Ram), nearly impossible to "hot rod" them...poor performance when multi tasking...
Apps are "demo" versions of real programs..Example Garage Band..compare their App to the full version...I don't want to give up quality performance for a gimmick use..
If you must get a new toy...don't lock yourself into i tunes...get an Android.. grin
All this lightness and inadequate gear is making me dizzy confused

So I'm on line at the store checkout with a NEW Surface2 in my hand & while waiting I check my phone email & look at SZ also......then I see this reply from Fran Carango and say to myself "WHAT AM I DOING" ? eek2 ....and for ALL the reasons mention above I know I'm not going to be happy with a Tablet for MY needs vs a LAPTOP as I'm used to!! So I returned it to the shelf with a BIG sigh of relief laugh ...
What was I thinking? confused1
Thank you Fran for bringing me back to reality as usual wink
A Laptop man I remain on stage happy & Content. cool2

#381440 - 01/15/14 08:26 AM Re: MyLaptop crapped out today Need a 10" tablet with? [Re: Dnj]
joso Offline

Loc: Denmark
Hi

Tablets are for content CONSUMERS.
PC's and laptops (any OS) are for content PRODUCERS.

Regards
Jørgen

#381441 - 01/15/14 08:42 AM Re: MyLaptop crapped out today Need a 10" tablet with? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Donny, I wasn't gonna say anything, but I'm glad you came to your senses. Fran's a pretty smart cookie, ya know.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#381442 - 01/15/14 09:17 AM Re: MyLaptop crapped out today Need a 10" tablet with? [Re: Dnj]
DAN.2000 Offline

Loc: FRANCE
I have the Microsoft Surface Pro

For vArranger it's perfect smile

Dan
https://www.varranger.com

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online