SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#381177 - 01/11/14 12:47 PM I had my guitar theory lesson last night ...
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Meaning: I played with that band of older fellas that teach me SO much each time I go out with them. I'm the baby of the group at 58 (by almost 20 years!), and I feel like I should be paying them for letting me study on the bandstand. I'm the token "Rocker" because of vocals (and SOME guitar stuff), and the set list, while standard ... is like taking a theory lesson every song. As a guitarist, I rarely played with a keyboard player over the years - lemme tell ya - it's a challenge to re-voice chords to stay out of his way! Add the facts that I'm transposing and trying to sing at the same time and you have another "sunny day in Philadelphia."

I'm very grateful that they put up with my fumbling ... sometimes I feel like I'm playing with mittens on.
smile
My standard approach to solo guitar has always been to fill up the spaces and make all the rhythm ... not so in the band scenario. I have to accent different beats, fill in little signature licks (Johnny B Goode, Rock around the Clock etc) and it's very challenging. After 40 years of mostly running the show, it's a pleasure to not have to drive the bus ... so to speak.

I'm posting this to remind us all to step out of our comfort zone once in a while and experience the thrill of experimentation, and creativity in a new way. Whatever way that is - it's a task well worth the effort.

Last night, 2 of the 4 of us had a digital harmonizer attached to our mics ... me and the keyboardist - MAN, was THAT FUN! We did some things that sounded like the cast of Les Miz was behind us. My harmonies were triggered by the guitar chords and the keyboard guy has a Korg PA1xPro with a TC built in. So ... let's count - 4 live singers, 2 in my pedalboard and 3 more in Paul's Korg. We had a nine piece vocal ensemble going at times!

Fun, fun, fun ... and Daddy never took the T-Bird away.
smile

#381181 - 01/11/14 01:17 PM Re: I had my guitar theory lesson last night ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I didn't know Paul used the harmonizer...Did you help him set it up..as I recall he wasn't even aware of it...If he used it in full keyboard recognition, the harmony must have been great bi-tonal chords and all..

Here is Paul on the left, a couple years ago with Chief Halftown..

Attachments
12-30-2013 9_16_12 PM.jpg

Edited by Fran Carango (01/11/14 01:25 PM)

#381185 - 01/11/14 01:41 PM Re: I had my guitar theory lesson last night ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Dave, you should have recorded something so we could joined in on the fun as well.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#381202 - 01/11/14 03:15 PM Re: I had my guitar theory lesson last night ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Recorded??? You, mean - set up another thing that I need to pay attention to? HA!
It's all I can do to muster the strength to play, sing and get ready for the next tune! They even surprised me by starting a song that they expected ME to sing ... WITHOUT TELLING ME! They were all just relaxing during the intro ... as was I, and then the drummer started in with the tune as the saxman called over to me to pick up the rest. Sure took me by surprise!
Fran ... I did get him started on the Harmonizer - he triggers from the right hand, so yes, the voicings were pretty cool. His balance and vocal technique need some attention, but it was a great first try at it.

#381204 - 01/11/14 03:33 PM Re: I had my guitar theory lesson last night ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

BTW - talking about gear ...
I might have posted this before, but it's worth repeating for the newcomers.
First, I have to tell you that this keyboard guy is the absolute BEST I know - plays beautiful chords, fantastic bass lines and he's the nicest guy you'll meet. With that said .... he's fussy and SLOW to change. His rig includes:

Korg PA1xpro on bottom - all piano and comping comes from this slab
Korg 13 on top (very BULKY, homemade steel rack, I might add) for organs, brass and other "color" sounds and triggers midi signal to one of 2 full size modules to his left
One is a Roland that is dedicated for bass, I think, and a Korg that must have some sentimental value, cuz it's older than the 1x, I think. It might even be an O1W.
AND - and i5m on top of the module stack for the very sparse drum beat/arranger pattern that they use on a few (very few) tunes.
3 volume pedals (HUGE Morley, metal ones), 2 sustain pedals, mic stand .... geeze.

With his chops ... almost any current arranger would sound fantastic, and even if he NEEDS the second slab for dexterity - he certainly doesn't need the THREE modular tone boxes that he carries. He plays all his sounds (including bass) through a stereo EV rig with a Mackie mixer that is a powerful full range PA in itself. It's SO overkill that I feel sorry for him every time I look at it. He's 78, and lugs all this bulk around. I MUST educate him to the newer, "more hip" ways of the force. He's such a great player ... he could do the job with his PA1x as the main chord source and buy a new "whatever" he likes to play all the other sounds, sequences and midi trigger parts.

He could leave all 3 modules home, scale down the mixer/rack and cut his setup/teardown time in half.

Paul might like the BK-9 piano sound and he'd be able to relinquish the tone modules and drum machines. Add a PA3x on top for great control of vocals and color sounds and he could streamline his rig into a major powerhouse. LIGHTER, prettier and better equipped than anything he's ever had. He has a pretty hard touch, wonder why he never got a weighted action 88 as his controller.

The more I think of it - I think he should get a PA3x76 for his "go to" axe and trigger vocals from it. Then, he could get the Roland for the extra sounds on top - better esthetics, and more control from the sliders on the Korg.

#381213 - 01/11/14 04:08 PM Re: I had my guitar theory lesson last night ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Paul uses a Korg i30, a 01w/r , i5m, and a Roland xv 5080..besides his Korg PA1x..

#381222 - 01/11/14 04:30 PM Re: I had my guitar theory lesson last night ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Maybe he's just not that worried about setup times (bet he doesn't do many NH gigs!) and thinks that having his favorite Tones available worth the extra setup time?

Many of us still have some favorite dinosaurs that we have yet to hear bettered (without other disadvantages). My old K2500S still gets pride of place in my studio setup, despite being decades out of fashion! And Korg have long discontinued my old Triton...

But they both have sounds I love and use. I spent weeks fine tuning orchestral samples in the 2500 from a wide variety of sample libraries, and yes, while I could go to one of the top VSTi libraries, they still work fine, especially in small pop ensemble work (something that most VSTi orchestral libraries are a bit over the top for).

Most great players prefer familiarity over having the latest, greatest gear. After all, their greatness comes from what they PLAY, not how it sounds...

#381231 - 01/11/14 05:37 PM Re: I had my guitar theory lesson last night ... [Re: Diki]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
See, Dave...that's why I get the greatest enjoyment from playing behind others and making them sound as good as possible. When like minded/skilled players play off of each other, it's a BEAUTIFUL THING!

That's why, while I enjoy my arrangers, I'll opt for live play with others every time. Arrangers run the show!

Certainly not knocking arrangers, but man is it ever sweet to do it the old way....NOTHING LIKE IT!

Isn't it GREAT that we have options?

Russ

#381235 - 01/11/14 06:30 PM Re: I had my guitar theory lesson last night ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
So few here consider playing with others as an option!

Their loss, IMO.

#381236 - 01/11/14 06:36 PM Re: I had my guitar theory lesson last night ... [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
So few here consider playing with others as an option!

Their loss, IMO.

did that group gig routine over 25 years extensivly, ...
now 18 yrs successfully solo & dont wanna look back ever wink ,......it was a different time back then....
that will never come again, although great memories, ....
but, ...move on. woot

Edited by Dnj (01/11/14 06:38 PM)

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online