SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#381214 - 01/11/14 04:09 PM Re: Something for a rainy day... [Re: travlin'easy]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Always use a non-proportional font for printing lyrics. With one of these, each letter and space takes up the exact same width, so characters on different lines always take the same width, hence they don't move relative to each other.

If you use the full reply box, rather than the quick reply, the box at the second to far right is a text font selector. Paste your text into the box, highlight it all, then select 'Courier New' as font type. (This is Courier New)

The chords and lyrics should now line up (if the original came from a non-proportional font source, which many web sources are).

Hope this helps.

EDIT... Seems that your lyrics and chords were not lined up well in the first place, or didn't use a non-proportional font originally. But if you edit them for spacing and use Courier New, they should be copyable without shifting in future.

Edited by Diki (01/11/14 04:11 PM)

#381221 - 01/11/14 04:29 PM Re: Something for a rainy day... [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

clap Gary nice job....Thanx for sharing... clap

#381223 - 01/11/14 04:31 PM Re: Something for a rainy day... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Diki, I tried that - it didn't work!

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#381226 - 01/11/14 04:38 PM Re: Something for a rainy day... [Re: travlin'easy]
Diki Offline

Yep... if the original didn't get it right,a copy/paste won't fix that. But if you edit it at home for the right spacing using a non-proportional font, if you post it here using one as well, it WILL display correctly.

#381227 - 01/11/14 04:50 PM Re: Something for a rainy day... [Re: travlin'easy]
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway

#381230 - 01/11/14 05:22 PM Re: Something for a rainy day... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Johnny, someone from another forum sent me the chords I use many, many years ago - they sounded right to me, and I never bothered to look up the original chords. So, I just played what the voices in my head told me to. wink

Thanks for listening,

Gary cool

#381232 - 01/11/14 05:38 PM Re: Something for a rainy day... [Re: travlin'easy]
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
..... So, I just played what the voices in my head told me to. wink

And I who tought I was the only one who do it that way ... shocked

#381234 - 01/11/14 06:02 PM Re: Something for a rainy day... [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Gary...
You do the song proud. Very nice.
Eddie

#381237 - 01/11/14 06:37 PM Re: Something for a rainy day... [Re: travlin'easy]
Diki Offline

Maybe I should start a dedicated thread for this, but perhaps a quick comment is appropriate...

It's a very double edged sword looking up chords online. Not only are they seldom correct, but also, I feel that not trying your best to figure out the chords yourself diminishes (know that one, LOL?) your musical knowledge and skill.

Only as a last resort after you have figured out as much as you can is it a good idea to get help. Like playing by ear, the more you do this, the easier it becomes, and the better you get at it. But if your first response is to go look it up, this skill will wither even from where it is now (unused muscles atrophy).

I heartily recommend you try conscientiously to make looking up the chords the LAST thing you try, not the first. You will amaze yourself at how quickly this skill develops, if you exercise it..!

#381242 - 01/11/14 07:50 PM Re: Something for a rainy day... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Long before an old friend from Scotland sent me his chords, I was doing the song in Em, which is one of the chord progressions you can find on the internet. It was a bit of a stretch for my vocal range, though. As I've stated many times, I only play what the voices in my head tell me to play. I'm an ear player, but I can read guitar tabs if I need to. Never learned the other stuff very well, and I freely admit to that flaw in my character. I guess my only saving grace is my vocals have always been fairly good.

My biggest fear at my age is my voice will soon give out, and I have no way of preventing this from happening. My lungs are shot to Hell, so I couldn't be a power singer even if I wanted to be. It only took two weeks of heavy asbestos exposure while in the U.S. Navy to do the dirty deed on my lungs. My fondest hope is that my cardiologist is right and that my high (210) cholesterol will kill me. I would rather drop dead of a massive heart attack than slowly suffocate to death over the next 5 years. (Being shot in the back of the head by a jealous husband while in the saddle at age 108 just ain't gonna happen!) wink

From my perspective, the internet is a great tool for learning new songs. Places such as You Tube allow you to hear the original versions, and put the song into your head. Most of the time, those of us that play by ear never have to look up the chords - we just play what we heard, sometimes in a different key to suit our vocal range, but we tend to do pretty darned good most of the time. Some songs, however, songs with complex chord progressions, might require looking up the tabs - just to be on the safe side. As Diki said, those chords and tabs are not always correct, but most of the time I've found them to be fairly close. Hey, some person like you and I was kind enough to put down on paper what he heard in his head, then post it so we can all benefit, and for that these individuals should be applauded.

Midi files with embedded lyrics are also a good online source for learning new songs. I rarely use a midi file for anything, and never use an MP3 for anything other than breaks or some special line dance songs the country gals request. Those ladies want the original, and most of the time it would be very difficult to replicate with a style file unless you wanted to spend many, many hours using the keyboard's onboard style creator program, or a PC based program. Creating a high quality style takes a lot of time and effort. And, like Don Mason always says, I'm gettin a little lazier as I get older. So once or twice a month, when someone ask for the Cupid Shuffle, I'll fire up an MP3 from the laptop.

So for once, I agree with Diki on the subject of looking up the chords should be the last thing to try. For me, it comes somewhat natural, mainly because I'm so old that I was performing long before the internet existed and didn't have the resource at my fingertips for the first 30 years I played music. Back then I was still typing the lyrics with my old Underwood and thought I was one of the more advanced guys because I typed the words instead of printing them on lined notebook paper. smile

Halftime's over - back to the playoffs,

Gary cool

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online