SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#381385 - 01/14/14 02:12 PM Re: Audio styles - your impressions... [Re: travlin'easy]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I LOVE Steve Gadd, but that version could clear a dance floor in a heartbeat. All groove ... no pocket. Maybe that's the wrong words, but it was way COOL, but not very functional ... unless he's doing a showpiece. Very expressive, but too much accents and too much of a solo feel throughout ... no steady pulse. Even if you hate Disco ... that song needs a little more glue to hold the beat together. Great technician, and very expressive, but again .... didn't work for that tune ... at least not for me.
Gimme Ringo.
smile

#381435 - 01/15/14 05:52 AM Re: Audio styles - your impressions... [Re: travlin'easy]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
I'm moving from T3 to T5, and have enjoyed it overall. Although the Audio styles are very good, I agree with DNJ (hope I have your initials right! :-) that the drums in the Audio styles struck me as sounding a bit 'distant' compared to the MIDI drums (non-audio styles).

I suppose it's just that for Audio styles, the drummers were recorded with some room ambiance in the mix ... for me, I'll use a bunch of the Audio styles, as plenty of them are very good; but the drums in them don't quite have the "punch" (crispness?) that I was hoping for, or that I'm used to with the non-Audio styles.

Jim

#381438 - 01/15/14 06:57 AM Re: Audio styles - your impressions... [Re: jimlaing]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: jimlaing
I'm moving from T3 to T5, and have enjoyed it overall. Although the Audio styles are very good, I agree with DNJ (hope I have your initials right! :-) that the drums in the Audio styles struck me as sounding a bit 'distant' compared to the MIDI drums (non-audio styles).

I suppose it's just that for Audio styles, the drummers were recorded with some room ambiance in the mix ... for me, I'll use a bunch of the Audio styles, as plenty of them are very good; but the drums in them don't quite have the "punch" (crispness?) that I was hoping for, or that I'm used to with the non-Audio styles.

Jim

Jim I'm glad someone agrees with me .....all you have to do is listen to them.. headphone

#381443 - 01/15/14 11:36 AM Re: Audio styles - your impressions... [Re: travlin'easy]
Ketron_AJ Offline

Loc: Middletown, DE
I guess to really answer this question, it would also have to depend on the keyboard that impliments Audio Styles and how they do it, how it sounds...etc.

Not all Audio styles are the same as Audio styls in a PSR S950, Tyros 5 or Audya series will sound/be different.

#381457 - 01/15/14 12:47 PM Re: Audio styles - your impressions... [Re: travlin'easy]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Dreamer... it boils down to diminishing returns. Those posted examples of drumming and percussion at the BFD or Superior Drummer sites, to my ears at least, sound EXACTLY like audio drumming.

Which they ARE..!

Don't confuse a MIDI kit with a robotic performance. Nowadays, most of the better style creators are using MIDI kits and real drummers to lay down the groove. And MIDI percussion is played by REAL percussionists. Combine the performance with a kit that, OK, there's aren't 50 different snare drum samples, but even 8 or so can fool the ear, and you have something much better than we currently have. Remember, drum samples are VERY, very short (other than cymbals!), so take up very little ROM compared to say a sax. I dare say, were the ROM for an SA2 sax sound tasked to doing a percussion kit, you could have many layers for each sound in the same room.

The combination of great samples with a great performance easily equals audio loops, but with none of the drawbacks.

That's a win/win, in my book at least.

#381543 - 01/15/14 10:18 PM Re: Audio styles - your impressions... [Re: Diki]
Sokratis 1974 Offline

Loc: Hellas, Creta, Iraklion
Originally Posted By: Diki
Dreamer... it boils down to diminishing returns. Those posted examples of drumming and percussion at the BFD or Superior Drummer sites, to my ears at least, sound EXACTLY like audio drumming.

Which they ARE..!

Don't confuse a MIDI kit with a robotic performance. Nowadays, most of the better style creators are using MIDI kits and real drummers to lay down the groove. And MIDI percussion is played by REAL percussionists. Combine the performance with a kit that, OK, there's aren't 50 different snare drum samples, but even 8 or so can fool the ear, and you have something much better than we currently have. Remember, drum samples are VERY, very short (other than cymbals!), so take up very little ROM compared to say a sax. I dare say, were the ROM for an SA2 sax sound tasked to doing a percussion kit, you could have many layers for each sound in the same room.

The combination of great samples with a great performance easily equals audio loops, but with none of the drawbacks.

That's a win/win, in my book at least.

Diki...
I agree absolutely with you....

However we must not forget that,with a keyboard (like Audya) that you can to make Audio Styles, not have limit for Drums kit, becouse for example:
If you like any VST like BFD3, EZ Drummer,Abbey Road Series etc, you can to make Audio Loops (Variations, Fill, Intros etc) in your DAW (Cubase, Logic etc) and with very easy way to copy in keyboard, to make your style..
Also if you like you can to have (original play) from famous (like Nik Mason of Pink Floyd, https://www.esoundz.com/sounds/nick-mason-kit-for-bfd2/5224.html
or Steve Gadd https://www.esoundz.com/details.php?ProductID=2448 and with this to make your styles...
Styles with Famous Drummers...

I have make a new Audio Style for Ajamsonic Upgrade with EZ Drummer Vintage a Expansion Drums https://www.toontrack.com/products.asp?item=199

Here is the demo
https://soundcloud.com/sokratis-1974/pop-rock-1

I think it is a amazing element, which gives us different dimension to the expression of a style..

Thanks.

Edited by Sokratis 1974 (01/15/14 10:23 PM)

#381548 - 01/16/14 01:50 AM Re: Audio styles - your impressions... [Re: Sokratis 1974]
Henni Offline

Loc: South Africa
Awesome Sokratis!!!

Henni

#381557 - 01/16/14 07:36 AM Re: Audio styles - your impressions... [Re: Uncle Dave]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
I LOVE Steve Gadd, but that version could clear a dance floor in a heartbeat. All groove ... no pocket. Maybe that's the wrong words, but it was way COOL, but not very functional ... unless he's doing a showpiece. Very expressive, but too much accents and too much of a solo feel throughout ... no steady pulse. Even if you hate Disco ... that song needs a little more glue to hold the beat together. Great technician, and very expressive, but again .... didn't work for that tune ... at least not for me.
Gimme Ringo.

smile

I also LOVE Steve Gadd. In fact when I was a kid I had a poster of him hanging on my wall and I could even play some of his solos and grooves note for note. I went to all his clinics I could and had a few of his instructional videos...

Anyways, keep mind that in the video that was posted, he is not playing for dancers. It appears to be a concert for listeners. Sort of a jazz trio format. You know as well as I do, Steve Gadd could keep a dance floor packed if that was what was needed.

I love Ringo too, but do you really think he could drive a jazz trio?

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#381558 - 01/16/14 08:34 AM Re: Audio styles - your impressions... [Re: montunoman]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: montunoman

I love Ringo too, but do you really think he could drive a jazz trio?

... if they were in a MINI VAN !!! ... laugh2

... Seriously, Ringo was the perfect drummer for what he did ... drums

#381562 - 01/16/14 09:14 AM Re: Audio styles - your impressions... [Re: travlin'easy]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
"... if they were in a MINI VAN !!! ..."

smile Love it!

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online