SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#381302 - 01/13/14 06:20 AM Re: Audio styles - your impressions... [Re: travlin'easy]
billyhank Offline

I really like having both - MIDI because I get to change things there - audio because they are good as they are.

Funny how folks think - the MIDI drums in today's arrangers are also "audio" - think about it.

Bill G

#381312 - 01/13/14 08:04 AM Re: Audio styles - your impressions... [Re: Diki]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
Originally Posted By: montunoman

I think audio styles are great for Latin styles. There are many subtleties especially within the percussion section that midi still can't reproduce.

I disagree.

http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=42&tab=127
http://www.toontrack.com/products.asp?item=10

That's the tip of the iceberg. MIDI percussion can sound amazing. Now, obviously, no-one expects 28GB of percussion samples. But that (the BFD collection) is an exhaustive collection of almost everything you could ever think of. A basic Percussion kit for a MIDI arranger would be a teeny, tiny fraction of that figure.

Somehow, arrangers seem to find the sample room to put in amazingly detailed piano, Rhodes, guitars, sax's, all of which chew up sample RAM, but drum and percussion kits still get the short end of the (drum)stick!

You don't need audio loops to sound unbelievably realistic any more. In fact, for many years, TBH. Add another 256MB of ROM to the roughly 1GB or so that they already have, and you would have a percussion kit that would fool anyone.

And, of course, just like better drum kits, they would be able to be used on ALL your legacy styles, not just the tiny few that come with the machine. 10% of your styles (far fewer, if we are simply talking Latin styles) doesn't really START to fulfill the need.

KITS, not loops. That is the answer.

I disagree Diki... you can have a 500Gb SSd that is high speed for $300... which is perfect for direct streaming from disk of every single sound played... (just like some instruments in the Kronos do)

There is no reason not to have atleast 200Gb of samples in your modern day instruments... and having 200GB of free room for user samples..

First one that goes this route is a winner...

oh... and if you want that real live feeling from your drumset.... ask a friend to play it for you on their midi drums... There is absolutely no reason that a good drumsound needs to be auio based, i totally agree with you

On top of all of this, Yamaha does not have audio styles, they only have audio drum tracks, a feature availble on Wersi for over ten years now..

Ketron is still the only brand with real audio styles, as they also have basstracks and guitartracks and more available in audio..

Edited by Bachus (01/13/14 08:07 AM)

http://keyszone.boards.net

#381316 - 01/13/14 09:01 AM Re: Audio styles - your impressions... [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Ketron is still the only brand with real audio styles, as they also have basstracks and guitartracks and more available in audio..

I agree totally ketron shines here to a point.....the audio drums in Yamaha audio styles sound so disjointed as if in another room....cant believe people don't hear this?

Edited by Dnj (01/13/14 09:02 AM)

#381317 - 01/13/14 09:05 AM Re: Audio styles - your impressions... [Re: Bachus]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By: Bachus
[quote=Dikioh... There is absolutely no reason that a good drumsound needs to be auio based, i totally agree with you

It's not just sound, it's really more about feel. I still don't think midi can replicate the human feel.

Edited by montunoman (01/13/14 09:06 AM)

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#381320 - 01/13/14 10:52 AM Re: Audio styles - your impressions... [Re: montunoman]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Originally Posted By: montunoman
Originally Posted By: Bachus
[quote=Dikioh... There is absolutely no reason that a good drumsound needs to be auio based, i totally agree with you

It's not just sound, it's really more about feel. I still don't think midi can replicate the human feel.

Actually if you think about it logically then there is more chance of a Midi drum track having feeling than an audio drum track, this is because a real drummer never plays exactly the same twice, (Slight variation on where the stick hits the head for example) and using Drum samples you can have multiple hit samples that vary in real time rather than being locked to the Midi drum track, (This is the reason all the Drum VST are so realistic sounding) a drum audio loop on the other hand will play exactly the same time after time with no variation, and thus after a time it sounds unnatural. (If you have plenty of storage then you can have multiple loops that play randomly like drum samples which solves the problem, but currently there is no hardware arranger that has the capacity to achieve this without glitches)

Bill

#381324 - 01/13/14 11:54 AM Re: Audio styles - your impressions... [Re: Dreamer]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: Dreamer
Originally Posted By: Diki

KITS, not loops. That is the answer.

No... that's just your answer.
Stop talking like you were the Oracle from Delphi because you are not... don't you see how boring this way of relating to the others becomes after a while?

Hells Bells dreamer you better get use to it, there's no stopping the man, he's part the old quirky SZ furniture, glad you think the same has most, nicely put all the same
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#381325 - 01/13/14 12:15 PM Re: Audio styles - your impressions... [Re: abacus]
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Originally Posted By: abacus

Actually if you think about it logically then there is more chance of a Midi drum track having feeling than an audio drum track, this is because a real drummer never plays exactly the same twice
Bill

The solution is simple: just make the loops longer. Some Audya styles have loops that last even 32 bars. If you consider that an average midi style lasts 4 bars and 8 bars are already considered an exception, you will see how, after 32 bars recorded live, nobody really notices if a drummer is repeating himself, also because at that point you will probably already have changed variation (and introduced another 32 -different- bars), and by the time you go through all the four variations you will likely have reached the end of the song.

#381326 - 01/13/14 12:31 PM Re: Audio styles - your impressions... [Re: travlin'easy]
rosetree
Unregistered

I opt for midi drum tracks instead of audios for this reason: Listen to Roland midi drum sets, e.g. the following (watch the demo movie):
http://www.roland.com/V-Drums/lineup/portable.html

What you hear is actually midi drums of course, because every time the drummer hits a pad of this drum set, a single one-note sample is triggered via midi, so this is actually how realistically midi drum tracks can be created. Does it sound unrealistic in any way?

Edited by rosetree (01/13/14 12:35 PM)

#381327 - 01/13/14 12:42 PM Re: Audio styles - your impressions... [Re: ]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
[quote=rosetree Does it sound unrealistic in any way? [/quote]

The only thing I found unrealistic was a drummer being up at 9:00 in the morning ... laugh2

... sorry , I couldn't resist ... redface

Edited by tony mads usa (01/13/14 12:43 PM)

#381328 - 01/13/14 01:00 PM Re: Audio styles - your impressions... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
smile

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online