SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#380081 - 12/31/13 05:33 AM Re: Who's Gigging New Years Eve & Day? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
It is usually one of the most lucrative nights of the year for musicians, but this will be my second year in a row to bring it in with the other residents here in my apartment complex.

Just a gathering in the main lounge to watch the outdoor show from Halifax on TV, which usually features a great band.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to all here...you guys are awesome!

Ian

#380082 - 12/31/13 05:40 AM Re: Who's Gigging New Years Eve & Day? [Re: Nigel]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Nigel
Originally Posted By: Dnj

I agree Tony just ignore it I do,......
I guess Diki isn't playing anywhere NYE but I could be wrong...?
For me it's the best night of the year to gig.....
I will have fun. party Happy New Year!

No problem Donny I have addressed this problem.

Thank you Nigel.....
Happy New Year to you & your family enjoy!

#380088 - 12/31/13 06:40 AM Re: Who's Gigging New Years Eve & Day? [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Took a gig I thought would be interesting. Benefit for a local Horse Farm that helps people who are having financial trouble keeping their horses. Money is not what I've made in past years but pretty good and I figured its that or nothing. And its close to home. There is no place here in Cape May, except for one, that has a keyboard player tonight and there's no way their ever replacing this guy, he has big credentials. I was hoping for a nice house party where I could play some keyboard.
The other day I met with the girl who hired me and she gave me a list of requested songs. I won't go into it but I'm not bothering to even bring the keyboard and will be DJ-ing a bunch of stuff I normally would never do. I'm not looking forward to it.
I've only missed about 3 NYE's in the last 40 or so but next year I'm going to be real picky if I take anything at all.
BTW the panic people have about drunk drivers and road blocks I think is way overblown. Things have changed. Most people run for the door right after midnight. Where I used to live in North Jersey coming home after gigs I've never seen any roadblocks or even patrol cars. Very quiet. The diners are all packed though.

#380103 - 12/31/13 08:24 AM Re: Who's Gigging New Years Eve & Day? [Re: Dnj]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I'll be playing two house parties. One on NYE, and one on new years day. Both are in very nice gardens in Cuernavaca Mexico. Great weather down here. Should be fun.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#380108 - 12/31/13 09:07 AM Re: Who's Gigging New Years Eve & Day? [Re: Dnj]
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Las mananitas, Hotel-Restaurant in Cuernavaca

#380109 - 12/31/13 09:13 AM Re: Who's Gigging New Years Eve & Day? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Beautiful surroundings, Andrea. I love doing outdoor jobs at locations such as those in the photo. The only problem I ever encounter is, obviously, unanticipated weather changes, rain, snow, etc..., flying insects attracted to the keyboard and console lights when the sun goes down, and high humidity, which can soak all the gear in just a short time. I actually covered my arranger with Saran Wrap and played it one night in a tiki bar in the Florida Keys because the humidity was so high that the table tops appeared to have been rained upon and not dried. It was an amazing night, though. Very hot, very humid and the crowd eventually all jumped into the swimming pool about 50 feet from where I was playing. Sure miss that part of the world right now. The temperature here today is 26 degrees f.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#380110 - 12/31/13 09:19 AM Re: Who's Gigging New Years Eve & Day? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Today, I have a NYE party at a local retirement community Brightview Avondel where I've been performing monthly since the place opened 4 years ago. The job is from 2 till 4 p.m., which suits everyone just fine.

My big job tonight was cancelled about three weeks ago, the organization said they just couldn't sell enough tickets to make it work. Big loss, financially, for me, but I called some friends, invited them over and for the first time in 15 hears I get to stay at home with my wife and a few friends. I'm kinda looking forward to it.

I have a double New Years Day, and the jobs are just an hour apart, but fortunately, the venues are just 15 minutes apart, which give me ample time to tear down and set up at the second location.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#380112 - 12/31/13 09:29 AM Re: Who's Gigging New Years Eve & Day? [Re: Dnj]
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy

"Meee?
Where will I gig New Year's Eve??
Oh well... let's see...
I had an offer from Vegas (...the Mirage, I think...)
then another from New York (had something to do with a garden with a strange shape... square, I think...)
And then of course I got the usual calls from Paris, London... you know... every year it's the same...

...But in the end I think that I'll just stay at home
and read a good book...

Besides...

I HATE PEOPLE!!!

#380113 - 12/31/13 09:30 AM Re: Who's Gigging New Years Eve & Day? [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
smile
funny

#380128 - 12/31/13 10:02 AM Re: Who's Gigging New Years Eve & Day? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

1 done 3 to go............yeah!