SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#37984 - 05/08/00 05:35 PM How can I get two mics in stereo on my computer?
ddives Offline

Loc: Auburn, AL
I make an audio show, and would like to be able for me and my partner to each have a microphone, but then be able for me to speak in the right channel, and then he speak through the left. Any hardware/software recommendations would be great! Ddives

#37985 - 05/08/00 08:23 PM Re: How can I get two mics in stereo on my computer?
tails Offline

Well there a few ways to do this.

You don't mention your current setup, but if you have an existing soundcard, you can get a mixer and hookup the master outs into the soundcard inputs. Pan the two channels on the mixer hard left and right. This way the signal will be recorded separately.

The other way is to get yourself an Event Layla or MOTU 2408 or some other soundcards with multiple inputs.

Hope this is helpful.

#37986 - 05/08/00 10:30 PM Re: How can I get two mics in stereo on my computer?
ddives Offline

Loc: Auburn, AL
Right now I have a Yamaha plain-ol soundcard with one mono-mic input and one line-in. Maybe this is a totally stupid question, but what kind of mixer should I get, and what about software. I would like to know about a program with alot of effects to add to voices. Thanks!

#37987 - 05/09/00 09:05 PM Re: How can I get two mics in stereo on my computer?
tails Offline

If you want the cheapst to get around your problem try this.

Get any mixer, a small 4 or 8 channel will do. Make sure the mixer has mic inputs.

Get yourself a Y cable from 2 1/4" jacks to one mini jack to plug into your soundcard line input.

Hook up your mics to the mixer's mic inputs and record away!

If you want the 2 mikcs to go to different tracks then just pan them on the mixer.

Hope this helps.

#37988 - 05/20/00 03:50 PM Re: How can I get two mics in stereo on my computer?
Smitty Offline

Loc: Holtwood, PA. USA
If you are using the line out of the computer for some type of presentation or show and it is only singular mono(only one output)then you wont have the capability of panning left to right unless you pan the channels of each mike L & R respectivily on a mixer and send that output directly to a stereo amplifier, bypassing the computer audio output which you can then patch into the mixer as well. This method will not send your voices through the computers card.
If you want to send audio into the computer from your voices and you keep your mono card you could do that,and there are numerous software programs that will add effects to your voices.I recently read about a dedicated laptop music computer designed specifically for musicians using midi and audio live. Anyone else hear much about that?

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online