SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#379536 - 12/26/13 11:52 PM Re: POST YOUR NEW TYROS 5 DEMOS/ REVIEWS HERE [Re: rattley]
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Originally Posted By: rattley
My first general impression of Tyros 5's sound was that the highs shriek a bit to much for my liking.

This remark kind of worries me, especially because is in agreement with something that Ian posted a few days ago (about the Tyros 4 having a "sweeter" sound, compared with the Tyros 5).

#379537 - 12/27/13 12:45 AM Re: POST YOUR NEW TYROS 5 DEMOS/ REVIEWS HERE [Re: kla4]
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Originally Posted By: kla4
I have mine since mid November and I love the T5.
To be honest this forum is not the place for me (anymore) to put my reviews/experiences in, because the 'mine is better than yours culture' and Yammie slamming posts.
I prefer a forum that is not dominated by 4-5 superposters that keep asking questions all the time, posts URL's and hardly/never show themselves.
Just my opinion and I know a couple of buddies share it.

Roel,

I remember you from the time when you had an SD1, which you later dumped to buy one of the first G-70 (plagued with problems) and then a Tyros, so you can believe me if I say that I wish that you would contribute more here.
My experience is that each Internet Forum has its own "atmosphere", and this in turn is determined by its members.
It's impossible to like each and everyone of them and this applies to all the Fora, including those dedicated to specific brands of keyboards (hint, hint...)
Personally I think that a Forum where everybody agrees with all the others is kind of boring, and this applies also to the unwritten rule "You don't criticize my song and I won't criticize yours". The result is an atmosphere that reminds me of those places where everybody smiles and acts politely and you always wonder what they really think of you.
To give you an example, if I were to post a song and the only comments received would be stereotyped phrases like "Thank you for sharing" or maybe "A real foot-tapper", I would think that I have wasted my time and move away, to a place where people aren't afraid to speak their mind.
Of course I like a polite behavior, but cannot stand hypocrisy; I think that there is a fine line that divides one from the other and this line is what, in my opinion, we should aim to. smile

#379571 - 12/27/13 10:05 AM Re: POST YOUR NEW TYROS 5 DEMOS/ REVIEWS HERE [Re: Dreamer]
DannyUK Offline

Originally Posted By: Dreamer
My first general impression of Tyros 5's sound was that the highs shriek a bit to much for my liking.

This remark kind of worries me, especially because is in agreement with something that Ian posted a few days ago (about the Tyros 4 having a "sweeter" sound, compared with the Tyros 5).

From some of the demos I've heard of the T5, I've also noticed the sounds appear thinner of even 'tinny' until you apply some tweaking. Although many people might be ok with doing the tweaking, I prefer the effects already applied to the sounds on my T4 ootb, I don't really want to waste time trying to create new registrations with hundreds of adjustments. I really like how both the T3 and T4 sounded by default. I'm sure that the T5 can be made to sound incredible but this requires the effort first whereas with the T4 it sounds fantastic as it is.

#379598 - 12/27/13 03:10 PM Re: POST YOUR NEW TYROS 5 DEMOS/ REVIEWS HERE [Re: ]
dtrue Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah
Charlie,
Great review of the new T5. I'm still sitting "on the fence" with my T4 wondering whether it is worth the move but you have definitely nudged me toward the T5.
Dick

#379601 - 12/27/13 03:45 PM Re: POST YOUR NEW TYROS 5 DEMOS/ REVIEWS HERE [Re: Dreamer]
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
The remark I made about the T5 sounding harsh was only my first impression. I only made that remark showing that connecting T5 to my existing unchanged sound system showed I thought T5's highs were harsher. I'm sure changing some settings will yield a much better sound to my ears. I'd be interested on some others posting any EQ or similar settings they changed. Whether it was T2, T3, or T4 I remember making adjustments to all of them. Perception of sound quality is such a personal matter. I doubt if one setting could satisfy everyone. Room acoustics, headphones or speakers, audio gear, perhaps age make us all have a different perception of sound quality. I wouldn't worry about it............. -charley

#379625 - 12/28/13 02:45 AM Re: POST YOUR NEW TYROS 5 DEMOS/ REVIEWS HERE [Re: Dnj]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
The T5 has lost most of the previous Yamaha CD like (Smooth) sound, and replaced it with a more live band feel, and this may be the reason you think it sounds bright and harsh. (Live bands don’t have round edges)

Hope this helps

Bill

#379627 - 12/28/13 04:25 AM Re: POST YOUR NEW TYROS 5 DEMOS/ REVIEWS HERE [Re: DannyUK]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: DannyUK
Originally Posted By: Dreamer

From some of the demos I've heard of the T5, I've also noticed the sounds appear thinner of even 'tinny' until you apply some tweaking. Although many people might be ok with doing the tweaking, I prefer the effects already applied to the sounds on my T4 ootb, I don't really want to waste time trying to create new registrations with hundreds of adjustments. I really like how both the T3 and T4 sounded by default. I'm sure that the T5 can be made to sound incredible but this requires the effort first whereas with the T4 it sounds fantastic as it is.

This shrieking espescially is noticable when you play notes out of the natural instruments range... I dont really see this as a problem..

On top of that, the sweeter sounds can be created by adding more reverb... All that overdone reverb is what some people liked about the T4 sounds...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#379628 - 12/28/13 06:25 AM Re: POST YOUR NEW TYROS 5 DEMOS/ REVIEWS HERE [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
For me, I have a different view on what constitutes "live" sound and it has not as much to do with the actual (overall) sound of the arranger, as it does with how the arranger is being played.

There are players who play with every note exactly on the beat, use no passing or even slightly complex chords, use very few fills (or too many), who play guitar, sax, organ, strings etc. voices, in the same manner they play a piano...and, the overall sound produced (and performance) falls far short of what could have been achieved. In other words, the amount of "liveness" is created by the performer or player.

Maybe "realism" is a closer word than "liveness"?

I have heard recordings of people playing the Audya (which I consider to have the most realistic sounding rhythm section) sound much less like a live band than someone playing an entry level arranger, because the player's approach and performance on the former was wooden and bland.

I also concede that some arranger brand's drum kits have more "punch" than others, although more equality can be achieved with proper EQ'ing and kit choices.

To clear up the "sweetness" thing, I was referring to the "richness" and "warmth" I hear in the instrument's overall sound (played through the same speakers with the EQ set to flat). The Tyros2 and Tyros4 had a very similar overall tone, and the Tyros and Tyros3 had a strong sonic resemblance. This, of course, is my personal opinion. I have played all these instruments extensively during my work with Yamaha, and got to know each of them at a very deep level, and I spent many hours a day playing and listening through the same speaker system, and also through high quality headphones.

The Tyros3 (and Tyros) were less detailed; e.g. the separate instruments in the style blended together and were less distinct. I keep thinking of the word "blunt" but it's not quite that extreme. The Tyros2 and Tyros4 had more detail and crispness, and, overall were less fatiguing to my ears when used with headphones.

Getting the Tyros3 to nearly the same level of detail as the Tyros4 required a fair bit of work, whereas the latter sounded excellent right out of the box.

I don't want to form my impression of the Tyros5 solely based upon on-line demos, as that isn't fair in my opinion, but I should know more in a week or so, as I am doing a private clinic for a Tyros5-76 owner, who will be bringing the instrument to my apartment, and we will be using my Yamaha MS-60S for both, so a side to side comparison with my Tyros4 should be fairly accurate. He also had a Tyros3 from new, which was just sold to be replaced by Tyros5.

Ian

#379630 - 12/28/13 07:29 AM Re: POST YOUR NEW TYROS 5 DEMOS/ REVIEWS HERE [Re: ianmcnll]
billyhank Offline

Ian,

We will be watching for your comparison remarks.

Considering your past association with Yamaha, I expect to get a realistic comparison by you.

Bill G

#379648 - 12/28/13 09:36 AM Re: POST YOUR NEW TYROS 5 DEMOS/ REVIEWS HERE [Re: ianmcnll]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
For me, I have a different view on what constitutes "live" sound and it has not as much to do with the actual (overall) sound of the arranger, as it does with how the arranger is being played.

There are players who play with every note exactly on the beat, use no passing or even slightly complex chords, use very few fills (or too many), who play guitar, sax, organ, strings etc. voices, in the same manner they play a piano...and, the overall sound produced (and performance) falls far short of what could have been achieved. In other words, the amount of "liveness" is created by the performer or player.

Maybe "realism" is a closer word than "liveness"?

I have heard recordings of people playing the Audya (which I consider to have the most realistic sounding rhythm section) sound much less like a live band than someone playing an entry level arranger, because the player's approach and performance on the former was wooden and bland.

I also concede that some arranger brand's drum kits have more "punch" than others, although more equality can be achieved with proper EQ'ing and kit choices.

To clear up the "sweetness" thing, I was referring to the "richness" and "warmth" I hear in the instrument's overall sound (played through the same speakers with the EQ set to flat). The Tyros2 and Tyros4 had a very similar overall tone, and the Tyros and Tyros3 had a strong sonic resemblance. This, of course, is my personal opinion. I have played all these instruments extensively during my work with Yamaha, and got to know each of them at a very deep level, and I spent many hours a day playing and listening through the same speaker system, and also through high quality headphones.

The Tyros3 (and Tyros) were less detailed; e.g. the separate instruments in the style blended together and were less distinct. I keep thinking of the word "blunt" but it's not quite that extreme. The Tyros2 and Tyros4 had more detail and crispness, and, overall were less fatiguing to my ears when used with headphones.

Getting the Tyros3 to nearly the same level of detail as the Tyros4 required a fair bit of work, whereas the latter sounded excellent right out of the box.

I don't want to form my impression of the Tyros5 solely based upon on-line demos, as that isn't fair in my opinion, but I should know more in a week or so, as I am doing a private clinic for a Tyros5-76 owner, who will be bringing the instrument to my apartment, and we will be using my Yamaha MS-60S for both, so a side to side comparison with my Tyros4 should be fairly accurate. He also had a Tyros3 from new, which was just sold to be replaced by Tyros5.

Ian
we are looking forward to your report...

http://keyszone.boards.net

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online