SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#379053 - 12/21/13 06:02 PM Re: Rarely..if ever...do I lose money on gear.... [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
BTW: Yesterday I played a holiday party for my daughter's 1st grade "special ed" class..She is the teacher..

I had breakfast with my friend Kath that morning and talked her into helping me (singer)..

The gig paid ...no money..just cookies and apple juice...

Entering the class, I got the biggest welcome...all the kids greeting me with hi-fives, and smiles..

We opened with a "hip hop" beat .."Jingle bells"..

It was a great hour show..teachers, parents and kids all had a great time...

Reason why I am mentioning it here on this post...One of the kids...a cute little blonde girl, turned out to be one of the people we helped ..She was one of the kids that need financial help (gifts), clothes , toys etc.....The family is on very hard times.. I didn't know she would be there, but she was the highlight of my day, with a hug goodbye..

Very kind of you Fran,.......... clap I know the feeling after what happened here with Hurricane Sandy last October.....& still today so many people are still homeless.
I drove along the NJ shore last week and could not believe the devastation still there a year later,...most wrecked houses are completely gone and have been removed it looks so barren just sand is left. Every little bit helps. I performed for free at a few fundraisers myself wish I could have done more to help..

Attachments
557760_10151301990457650_444132796_n.jpg

384368_10151301416167650_472650945_n.jpg

#379055 - 12/21/13 06:32 PM Re: Rarely..if ever...do I lose money on gear.... [Re: Dnj]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I depreciate all my equipment, so if I sell a piece, I have to play capital on the difference between book value (after depreciation) and the selling price.

I can donate the equipment to an appropriate 501(C) and avoid the capital gains tax.

I would imaging that's how all professional musicians handle the business end of things. You deduct the depreciation on your annual taxes as you take it and claim the gains at the time of the sale. Most of my sales are to pro's who send me a 1099. If a non-pro buys the equipment and there,s no 1099, you're on your own.

Russ (former bean counter) Lay

Edited by captain Russ (12/21/13 06:34 PM)

#379058 - 12/21/13 07:27 PM Re: Rarely..if ever...do I lose money on gear.... [Re: tony mads usa]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
... yeah, but based on the photos you posted the kids YOU are talking about are in their 20s and 30s ... surprised

And your point is? smile smile smile

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#379093 - 12/22/13 01:13 PM Re: Rarely..if ever...do I lose money on gear.... [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Originally Posted By: Dnj
How do you lose money On gear you made money with ?

By assuming that you wouldn't have made the same money with the PREVIOUS gear... rolleyes

#379101 - 12/22/13 01:32 PM Re: Rarely..if ever...do I lose money on gear.... [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
Originally Posted By: Dnj
How do you lose money On gear you made money with ?

By assuming that you wouldn't have made the same money with the PREVIOUS gear... rolleyes

You buy>>>>>>you play & earn $$>>
when earning reaches cost all else is profit>>>>>
down the road you sell>>>
you recoop most of your initial money investment, but you also have earned what you paid for it originally many times over.
So tell me how you lose as a pro gigging player? confused1

Edited by Dnj (12/22/13 01:32 PM)

#379228 - 12/23/13 02:23 PM Re: Rarely..if ever...do I lose money on gear.... [Re: Fran Carango]
Diki Offline

By buying every last new model that comes out when your audience doesn't care or know that you have...

If you would make the exact same money with a ten year old arranger, every penny you have lost trading for one model with the other is money wasted.

If you NEED new gear every 2-3 years, ask yourself does your audience feel the same way... and hope they don't!

#379229 - 12/23/13 02:27 PM Re: Rarely..if ever...do I lose money on gear.... [Re: Fran Carango]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Can't argue with that, Diki. I look at it from a business standpoint. It takes an average of 10 jobs to pay for a MOTL arranger keyboard. That's the income from 10 jobs that I could have put into my retirement fund, boating fund, or checking account. There's a sound, financial reason that I kept using those 3000s for all those years. I'm sure the same holds true for that G70.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#379233 - 12/23/13 02:42 PM Re: Rarely..if ever...do I lose money on gear.... [Re: Fran Carango]
Diki Offline

That, and that no-one ever brought out anything better (for what I do with it!)... LOL

Actually, I did get some new arrangers last year or so. A BK-7m, but that was primarily used to replace the ancient MGS-64 rack module as a sound source for my KX-5 keytar rig, and then the BK-9, which adds everything I have wanted for my solo gig for a long time (chord sequencer, audio loops, MP3 playback) to the already great G70 soundset, and threw in some nice SA type sounds too.

Both the new things have yet to gig much, but I doubt either one will get replaced in the usual 8-10 year timeframe I try to keep things working for. The MGS-64/KX-5 has been in regular use for nearly 20 years! At my age, I may now be getting to the point of having my LAST new gear as long as it remains mechanically reliable.

#379237 - 12/23/13 03:47 PM Re: Rarely..if ever...do I lose money on gear.... [Re: Fran Carango]
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
I buy new gear for my ears. The few audiences I play for wouldn't know the difference between a Yamaha, Korg, Roland, or for heaven's sake.........a $300 Casio. -charley

#379240 - 12/23/13 03:58 PM Re: Rarely..if ever...do I lose money on gear.... [Re: rattley]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: rattley
I buy new gear for my ears. The few audiences I play for wouldn't know the difference between a Yamaha, Korg, Roland, or for heaven's sake.........a $300 Casio. -charley

As I said on another thread, I have been using the KORG all year after using the technics for 12 years, at many of the same venues, and NO ONE has come up to me and asked if I got a new KB ... maybe they are just not listening ?!? headphone

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online