SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#379004 - 12/21/13 01:12 PM Tyros5 vs. PA3X: Sound & Style Comparison Shootout
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
A 17 minute video demonstrating comparative sounds and styles on the 'Yamaha Tyros 5' and 'Korg PA3X' keyboards.
The closest selection of sounds and styles were used in order to make a fair comparison of both keyboards. darthvader

Scott

#379006 - 12/21/13 01:31 PM Re: Tyros5 vs. PA3X: Sound & Style Comparison Shootout [Re: Scottyee]
Dnj Offline

sounds like a Tie to me ..

#379007 - 12/21/13 01:36 PM Re: Tyros5 vs. PA3X: Sound & Style Comparison Shootout [Re: Dnj]
nbnserge Offline

Interesting video
thank you Scott

#379017 - 12/21/13 02:20 PM Re: Tyros5 vs. PA3X: Sound & Style Comparison Shootout [Re: Scottyee]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
As with any of these things, the skill of the player is the REAL determining factor in how real something sounds. Play the world's best violin sound in a way a violinist wouldn't, you just undid all the work of the people who made the samples and the patch...

#379057 - 12/21/13 07:11 PM Re: Tyros5 vs. PA3X: Sound & Style Comparison Shootout [Re: Scottyee]
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
just look at the size difference between the two smile

#379059 - 12/21/13 07:43 PM Re: Tyros5 vs. PA3X: Sound & Style Comparison Shootout [Re: Scottyee]
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
I’m a Yamaha guy. I wish they’d put all of the features of the Tyros 5 in something the size and weight of the S950, with a dynamite built-in sound system; then, jack-up the price. That would get my attention toward a purchase.

#379069 - 12/22/13 03:22 AM Re: Tyros5 vs. PA3X: Sound & Style Comparison Shootout [Re: Diki]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
As with any of these things, the skill of the player is the REAL determining factor in how real something sounds. Play the world's best violin sound in a way a violinist wouldn't, you just undid all the work of the people who made the samples and the patch...

Seems he plays the violin like its a key instument,,, .. not using DNC on the Korg, which gives it a disadvantege to the SA2....

But in general

If you compare the seperate sounds with each other, some go to Yamaha, some victories go to Korg..

I would say Piano, E piano and B3 and violin are still victories for Korg. Saxaphones, guitars, strings, churchorgan(by ten miles) goes to Yamaha

Styles are a tie, i would say.

The difference is more about personall preferences in sound then about actuall sample and styles quallity because the quallity comes pretty close.

To me this proves what the T5 sound much more cleaner and live then the T4 and moved in sound quallity very close to the PA3X.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#379070 - 12/22/13 03:32 AM Re: Tyros5 vs. PA3X: Sound & Style Comparison Shootout [Re: Scottyee]
Dnj Offline

So if most feel it's a tie sound/style, wise......
does build quality, VH, & onboard Pro editing features bring the PA3x over the top? I'll bet Pa4x has a much bigger display screen also.

Edited by Dnj (12/22/13 03:33 AM)

#379072 - 12/22/13 04:29 AM Re: Tyros5 vs. PA3X: Sound & Style Comparison Shootout [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
So if most feel it's a tie sound/style, wise......
does build quality, VH, & onboard Pro editing features bring the PA3x over the top? I'll bet Pa4x has a much bigger display screen also.

I think its more a choice between, having easy playabillity, SA2 automation, Ensembles and the new Organ stuff on T5

Versus the pro features on PA3x and the improved VH...

I dont think the choice between a Korg and a Yamaha totl is about the sound anymore.... its about what you want.. T5 is awesoeme straight out of the box, and perfect for playing songs as close to the orriginal as possible withouth any tweaking and such... just choosing the right style and sound and go..

But if you want to create your own sound on stage, Korg is the way to go.. You can tweak styles, songs and espescially sounds more, you have a lot of tricks in the styles compartment that you dont have in T5 and you have more controll over the articulation voices..

If you are a singer, the Korg VH is also a reason to choose Korg..

#379075 - 12/22/13 06:09 AM Re: Tyros5 vs. PA3X: Sound & Style Comparison Shootout [Re: Scottyee]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
I think it's fair to say that yamaha no longer has the clear advantage in the sound department . Both sound excellent out of the box . Korg still has that live feel as opposed to the cd like quality of the yamaha . But in terms if features the korg as have all previous korg has the advantage over the yamaha . Today is probably the best times for musicians in terms of choice . There is something for everyone in pretty much all the price ranges .

#379083 - 12/22/13 07:23 AM Re: Tyros5 vs. PA3X: Sound & Style Comparison Shootout [Re: Scottyee]
Joesax Offline

Loc: Southern New Jersey
Hold On. I disagree. The T5 to me is clearly the better sounding board in all cases. It is so much clearer and detailed. The Korg, in comparison, sounds like it has veil over the sound. The T5 acoustic voices are better in every case, especially the Pipe Organ. OMG the T5 Pipe Organ just destroys the Korg. Also the violin on the Korg is terrible. I don't care who plays it or how that violin is not equal to or better than the T5. Now I would also say that the Korg is a very nice board and in the absence of direct comparison to the T5 it sounds very nice. But after listening to this demo the T5 is at another level of overall sound clarity and detail.
Tyros 3, Motif XF6, Quad Amp/Pre-Amp/DAC, Quad Monitors, Tascam Digital Recorder

#379084 - 12/22/13 07:42 AM Re: Tyros5 vs. PA3X: Sound & Style Comparison Shootout [Re: spalding1968]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: spalding1968
I think it's fair to say that yamaha no longer has the clear advantage in the sound department . Both sound excellent out of the box . Korg still has that live feel as opposed to the cd like quality of the yamaha . But in terms if features the korg as have all previous korg has the advantage over the yamaha . Today is probably the best times for musicians in terms of choice . There is something for everyone in pretty much all the price ranges .

PA3X???? I've been listening to that awesome DVD you graciously sent me, Worth, and, besides the Young Hope Choir being exceptional, and a real joy to listen to, the Korg PA1X is a really powerful instrument in every respect.

The drums and bass are very "live" sounding, but what really got my attention was the high quality of the acoustic and electric pianos and the tonewheel organs, which are probably the most used foundation instruments in a choir setting.

I can understand all the better why you have kept the PA1X, but, credit has to go the player, and you obviously know the instrument to a great depth, as well as being a terrific player. You have the important skill of playing what is needed, and never overplay your part.

As I'm listening, I keep forgetting the background is an arranger...it does sound very authentic...very much like a piano player/organist with a great drummer and bass player.

The PA1X appears to work perfectly for your needs, and also works perfectly as the backbone of the choir.

I'm on my fourth listening, and I am thoroughly enjoying the talent and enthusiasm of these fine young singers.

It's obvious a lot of hard work went into the production, but you all still pull it off as if it was totally second nature.

Thanks so much for sharing it with me.

Ian

#379085 - 12/22/13 07:52 AM Re: Tyros5 vs. PA3X: Sound & Style Comparison Shootout [Re: Scottyee]
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
For the past several years, I've been using the Midjay Plus and SD1Plus. I have owned and used Korg and Yamaha instruments in the past, but prefer the Ketron sounds. So, as a Ketron user, I would choose the Korg Pa3X based on this video ...

#379086 - 12/22/13 08:43 AM Re: Tyros5 vs. PA3X: Sound & Style Comparison Shootout [Re: Joesax]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Joesax
Also the violin on the Korg is terrible. I don't care who plays it or how that violin is not equal to or better than the T5.

If you refer to the violin around 4:30, to me it is BETTER than the T5, drier, more bow sound in the sample - only it cannot be compared, because for whatever reason the player plays the Korg violin an octave lower than that of the T5, in a range which would be typical of a cello and untypical of a violin. These are the things which distort comparisons... (similar thing with the pianos: why add a synth pad to it if you want to compare piano sounds??)

Edited by rosetree (12/22/13 08:44 AM)

#379087 - 12/22/13 09:01 AM Re: Tyros5 vs. PA3X: Sound & Style Comparison Shootout [Re: Scottyee]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Both really sound pretty fantastic, IMO, however, I'm gonna give the edge to Yamaha for the sax, woodwind and guitar sounds, while the pianos sound nearly identical to me. The church organ was a real WOW factor for Yamaha. They both have great strings, regardless of how they're played.

I use an external vocal processor, so that's not a big factor for me in any keyboard. I wish all the onboard vocal processors were better - but with the TC Helicon being not much larger than a couple packs of cigarettes I suspect that pretty soon the vocal processors will really take a giant leap forward in the next couple years.

Size does matter, especially when it comes to arranger keyboards. Either I'm getting older faster than I would like, or these damned things are gaining weight. Sure glad I no longer lug a 52-pound arranger keyboard around that is wider than my arm-span.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#379088 - 12/22/13 09:43 AM Re: Tyros5 vs. PA3X: Sound & Style Comparison Shootout [Re: ]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: rosetree
Originally Posted By: Joesax
Also the violin on the Korg is terrible. I don't care who plays it or how that violin is not equal to or better than the T5.

If you refer to the violin around 4:30, to me it is BETTER than the T5, drier, more bow sound in the sample - only it cannot be compared, because for whatever reason the player plays the Korg violin an octave lower than that of the T5, in a range which would be typical of a cello and untypical of a violin. These are the things which distort comparisons... (similar thing with the pianos: why add a synth pad to it if you want to compare piano sounds??)

On top of that the T5 SA2 sound adds articulations automatically.... The Korg DNC sound requires more effort to get the same articulations.

Like i said before, the demonstrator plays these instruments like he would play any key instrument...

#379089 - 12/22/13 09:51 AM Re: Tyros5 vs. PA3X: Sound & Style Comparison Shootout [Re: ianmcnll]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Thanks for that Ian. I hoped you would enjoy it . I used styles that I had programmed myself for all the songs on the DVD . It is a great instrument for sure and the kids are great inspiration . Sorry to mess up the thread folks.

#379090 - 12/22/13 10:00 AM Re: Tyros5 vs. PA3X: Sound & Style Comparison Shootout [Re: Scottyee]
DannyUK Offline

Originally Posted By: Scottyee
A 17 minute video demonstrating comparative sounds and styles on the 'Yamaha Tyros 5' and 'Korg PA3X' keyboards.
The closest selection of sounds and styles were used in order to make a fair comparison of both keyboards. darthvader

Scott

#379091 - 12/22/13 10:34 AM Re: Tyros5 vs. PA3X: Sound & Style Comparison Shootout [Re: spalding1968]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: spalding1968
Thanks for that Ian. I hoped you would enjoy it . I used styles that I had programmed myself for all the songs on the DVD . It is a great instrument for sure and the kids are great inspiration . Sorry to mess up the thread folks.

I believe what impressed me the most, aside from the incredible performances by you, the acoustic guitar player and the kids, was how great the PA1X sounds, even though it has been superseded by the PA2X and PA3X...the newer ones may have different, and no doubt, improved voices (due to DNC), but the sounds you used were every bit as good as the equivalent sounds in the later Korg.

Your styles were very well programmed, also reinforcing what several of us have been saying here, in that knowing your instrument well allows for a lot of updating without needing to buy something newer.

Ian

#379098 - 12/22/13 01:23 PM Re: Tyros5 vs. PA3X: Sound & Style Comparison Shootout [Re: Scottyee]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
It still all boils down to the player...

A great player would probably make a 20 year old arranger sound better than an average home player on a T5 or PA3X.

#379107 - 12/22/13 02:17 PM Re: Tyros5 vs. PA3X: Sound & Style Comparison Shootout [Re: Scottyee]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Listening to this demo video, I have to say the Tyros5 edged out the PA3x...overall

Both boards sound better than what I own...with a few exceptions..again judging from demos on line...The exceptions I prefer my board sounds..acoustic and electric pianos, drums, scats, and possibly organs..

#379109 - 12/22/13 02:27 PM Re: Tyros5 vs. PA3X: Sound & Style Comparison Shootout [Re: Diki]
Bachus Offline

A great player would probably make a 20 year old arranger sound better than an average home player on a T5 or PA3X.

True..

Except we are not discussing that in this topic...

#379111 - 12/22/13 02:28 PM Re: Tyros5 vs. PA3X: Sound & Style Comparison Shootout [Re: Diki]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...

It's obviously a given that an expert at just about anything is going to outperform someone average skilled performing the same task with the same tools.

The more important comparison is having that same great player play a 20 year old arranger, and then play the T5 and/or PA3X.
I'm certain both the T5 and PA3X will sound a lot better as a result of 20 years of keyboard technological advancements.
Have an average home player do the same thing, I'd expect the T5/PA3X sound improvement will be noticed and appreciated as well.

Scott smile

#379114 - 12/22/13 02:49 PM Re: Tyros5 vs. PA3X: Sound & Style Comparison Shootout [Re: DannyUK]
DannyUK Offline

Originally Posted By: DannyUK
Originally Posted By: Scottyee

Scott

Oops I don't know what happened there but I was going to say they both sound very good and not much to choose between them in some areas but I would probably choose the T5. Even so it still wouldn't cause me to rush out and change from what I already own.

#379130 - 12/22/13 08:45 PM Re: Tyros5 vs. PA3X: Sound & Style Comparison Shootout [Re: Scottyee]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
They both sound fantastic, but there are differences that can be tweaked to taste. If they were in the same case and size - it'd be harder for me to decide, but as packaged - KORG.

#379140 - 12/23/13 02:25 AM Re: Tyros5 vs. PA3X: Sound & Style Comparison Shootout [Re: Jerry T]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
Originally Posted By: Jerry T
For the past several years, I've been using the Midjay Plus and SD1Plus. I have owned and used Korg and Yamaha instruments in the past, but prefer the Ketron sounds. So, as a Ketron user, I would choose the Korg Pa3X based on this video ...

Jerry,
I have sent you a PM.

There seem to be a lot of home truths this time here in this thread. And this time Diki, who so often spends a plethoria of prhases on any issue hits the nail right on the head.(see his comments here.... smile

regards,
John

Edited by john smies (12/23/13 02:25 AM)

#379142 - 12/23/13 02:39 AM Re: Tyros5 vs. PA3X: Sound & Style Comparison Shootout [Re: john smies]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: john smies
Originally Posted By: Jerry T

Jerry,
I have sent you a PM.

There seem to be a lot of home truths this time here in this thread. And this time Diki, who so often spends a plethoria of prhases on any issue hits the nail right on the head.(see his comments here.... smile

regards,
John
so then you agree with diki who states that it is foolish for a pro musician to buy new gear, as they will also sound great on 20 year old gear?

Offcourse he is right.... But i think every musician wants a better sounding instument to start with, they are all perfectionists, and sounding better is part of that .. On top of that, many of the newer instruments allow for more creative freedom...

I donts ee how Dikis remarks have any contribution towards the topic of which sound of these 2 you prefer... Every human and every musician has its own preferences...

The only remarks of diki that cut the wood, where the ones about the player that does not seem to realise how to get most out of these instruments, and is playing virtual sounds out of the range of the natural instrument. Playing a violin in the range of a chello does not make it sound any more realistic, does it?

#379143 - 12/23/13 02:44 AM Re: Tyros5 vs. PA3X: Sound & Style Comparison Shootout [Re: Scottyee]
ianmcnll Offline

Makes me think of this poem we used to hear once and a while at A.A. meetings...

'Twas battered and scarred,
And the auctioneer thought it
hardly worth his while
To waste his time on the old violin,
but he held it up with a smile.

"What am I bid, good people", he cried,
"Who starts the bidding for me?"
"One dollar, one dollar, Do I hear two?"
"Two dollars, who makes it three?"
"Three dollars once, three dollars twice, going for three,"

But, No,
From the room far back a gray bearded man
Came forward and picked up the bow,
Then wiping the dust from the old violin
And tightening up the strings,
He played a melody, pure and sweet
As sweet as the angel sings.

The music ceased and the auctioneer
With a voice that was quiet and low,
Said "What now am I bid for this old violin?"
As he held it aloft with its' bow.

"One thousand, one thousand, Do I hear two?"
"Two thousand, Who makes it three?"
"Three thousand once, three thousand twice,
Going and gone", said he.

The audience cheered,
But some of them cried,
"We just don't understand."
"What changed its' worth?"
Swift came the reply.
"The Touch of the Masters Hand."

And many a man with life out of tune
All battered with bourbon and gin
Is auctioned cheap to a thoughtless crowd
Much like that old violin

A mess of pottage, a glass of wine,
A game and he travels on.
He is going once, he is going twice,
He is going and almost gone.

But the Master comes,
And the foolish crowd never can quite understand,
The worth of a soul and the change that is wrought
By the Touch of the Masters' Hand.

Myra Brooks Welch

#379144 - 12/23/13 03:30 AM Re: Tyros5 vs. PA3X: Sound & Style Comparison Shootout [Re: Scottyee]
ianmcnll Offline

Here's my perspective...

I bought my Tyros4 for ME.

I could have easily gigged with a PSR-S910, or even a PSR-3000 or PSR-2000, and still do a good performance. I know this, because I actually used those instruments for my own personal jobs.

I could probably do just as good with one of the Korg or Roland arrangers.

But, when I play the Tyros4, I really like that extra bit of realism in the sounds, especially the SA2, and it makes me want to play more often because I like how the FSX action feels under my fingers.

I spent the last of my savings buying my Tyros4, and consequentially had to do without several other things, but the satisfaction I get back playing it and hearing that extra quality in the sound and the extra dimension in the response were worth the extra money to me, because I appreciate those attributes...they appeal to ME personally.

My audience may not know or hear the difference between an S910 and a Tyros4, but I sure do.

Both instruments in the video have their respective strengths and weaknesses...it just boils down to choosing the one that has the strengths you can't do without, and the weaknesses that you can live with.

Ian

#379145 - 12/23/13 03:34 AM Re: Tyros5 vs. PA3X: Sound & Style Comparison Shootout [Re: Scottyee]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Great poem.

I never heard it before in meetings in the 80's. Maybe different time and place, but it is sure applicable to things and people alike.

#379146 - 12/23/13 04:26 AM Re: Tyros5 vs. PA3X: Sound & Style Comparison Shootout [Re: Bernie9]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Bernie9
Great poem.

I never heard it before in meetings in the 80's. Maybe different time and place, but it is sure applicable to things and people alike.

Bernie ditto to your comments.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online