SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#379083 - 12/22/13 07:23 AM Re: Tyros5 vs. PA3X: Sound & Style Comparison Shootout [Re: Scottyee]
Joesax Offline

Loc: Southern New Jersey
Hold On. I disagree. The T5 to me is clearly the better sounding board in all cases. It is so much clearer and detailed. The Korg, in comparison, sounds like it has veil over the sound. The T5 acoustic voices are better in every case, especially the Pipe Organ. OMG the T5 Pipe Organ just destroys the Korg. Also the violin on the Korg is terrible. I don't care who plays it or how that violin is not equal to or better than the T5. Now I would also say that the Korg is a very nice board and in the absence of direct comparison to the T5 it sounds very nice. But after listening to this demo the T5 is at another level of overall sound clarity and detail.
Tyros 3, Motif XF6, Quad Amp/Pre-Amp/DAC, Quad Monitors, Tascam Digital Recorder

#379084 - 12/22/13 07:42 AM Re: Tyros5 vs. PA3X: Sound & Style Comparison Shootout [Re: spalding1968]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: spalding1968
I think it's fair to say that yamaha no longer has the clear advantage in the sound department . Both sound excellent out of the box . Korg still has that live feel as opposed to the cd like quality of the yamaha . But in terms if features the korg as have all previous korg has the advantage over the yamaha . Today is probably the best times for musicians in terms of choice . There is something for everyone in pretty much all the price ranges .

PA3X???? I've been listening to that awesome DVD you graciously sent me, Worth, and, besides the Young Hope Choir being exceptional, and a real joy to listen to, the Korg PA1X is a really powerful instrument in every respect.

The drums and bass are very "live" sounding, but what really got my attention was the high quality of the acoustic and electric pianos and the tonewheel organs, which are probably the most used foundation instruments in a choir setting.

I can understand all the better why you have kept the PA1X, but, credit has to go the player, and you obviously know the instrument to a great depth, as well as being a terrific player. You have the important skill of playing what is needed, and never overplay your part.

As I'm listening, I keep forgetting the background is an arranger...it does sound very authentic...very much like a piano player/organist with a great drummer and bass player.

The PA1X appears to work perfectly for your needs, and also works perfectly as the backbone of the choir.

I'm on my fourth listening, and I am thoroughly enjoying the talent and enthusiasm of these fine young singers.

It's obvious a lot of hard work went into the production, but you all still pull it off as if it was totally second nature.

Thanks so much for sharing it with me.

Ian

#379085 - 12/22/13 07:52 AM Re: Tyros5 vs. PA3X: Sound & Style Comparison Shootout [Re: Scottyee]
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
For the past several years, I've been using the Midjay Plus and SD1Plus. I have owned and used Korg and Yamaha instruments in the past, but prefer the Ketron sounds. So, as a Ketron user, I would choose the Korg Pa3X based on this video ...

#379086 - 12/22/13 08:43 AM Re: Tyros5 vs. PA3X: Sound & Style Comparison Shootout [Re: Joesax]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Joesax
Also the violin on the Korg is terrible. I don't care who plays it or how that violin is not equal to or better than the T5.

If you refer to the violin around 4:30, to me it is BETTER than the T5, drier, more bow sound in the sample - only it cannot be compared, because for whatever reason the player plays the Korg violin an octave lower than that of the T5, in a range which would be typical of a cello and untypical of a violin. These are the things which distort comparisons... (similar thing with the pianos: why add a synth pad to it if you want to compare piano sounds??)

Edited by rosetree (12/22/13 08:44 AM)

#379087 - 12/22/13 09:01 AM Re: Tyros5 vs. PA3X: Sound & Style Comparison Shootout [Re: Scottyee]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Both really sound pretty fantastic, IMO, however, I'm gonna give the edge to Yamaha for the sax, woodwind and guitar sounds, while the pianos sound nearly identical to me. The church organ was a real WOW factor for Yamaha. They both have great strings, regardless of how they're played.

I use an external vocal processor, so that's not a big factor for me in any keyboard. I wish all the onboard vocal processors were better - but with the TC Helicon being not much larger than a couple packs of cigarettes I suspect that pretty soon the vocal processors will really take a giant leap forward in the next couple years.

Size does matter, especially when it comes to arranger keyboards. Either I'm getting older faster than I would like, or these damned things are gaining weight. Sure glad I no longer lug a 52-pound arranger keyboard around that is wider than my arm-span.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#379088 - 12/22/13 09:43 AM Re: Tyros5 vs. PA3X: Sound & Style Comparison Shootout [Re: ]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: rosetree
Originally Posted By: Joesax
Also the violin on the Korg is terrible. I don't care who plays it or how that violin is not equal to or better than the T5.

If you refer to the violin around 4:30, to me it is BETTER than the T5, drier, more bow sound in the sample - only it cannot be compared, because for whatever reason the player plays the Korg violin an octave lower than that of the T5, in a range which would be typical of a cello and untypical of a violin. These are the things which distort comparisons... (similar thing with the pianos: why add a synth pad to it if you want to compare piano sounds??)

On top of that the T5 SA2 sound adds articulations automatically.... The Korg DNC sound requires more effort to get the same articulations.

Like i said before, the demonstrator plays these instruments like he would play any key instrument...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#379089 - 12/22/13 09:51 AM Re: Tyros5 vs. PA3X: Sound & Style Comparison Shootout [Re: ianmcnll]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Thanks for that Ian. I hoped you would enjoy it . I used styles that I had programmed myself for all the songs on the DVD . It is a great instrument for sure and the kids are great inspiration . Sorry to mess up the thread folks.

#379090 - 12/22/13 10:00 AM Re: Tyros5 vs. PA3X: Sound & Style Comparison Shootout [Re: Scottyee]
DannyUK Offline

Originally Posted By: Scottyee
A 17 minute video demonstrating comparative sounds and styles on the 'Yamaha Tyros 5' and 'Korg PA3X' keyboards.
The closest selection of sounds and styles were used in order to make a fair comparison of both keyboards. darthvader

Scott

#379091 - 12/22/13 10:34 AM Re: Tyros5 vs. PA3X: Sound & Style Comparison Shootout [Re: spalding1968]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: spalding1968
Thanks for that Ian. I hoped you would enjoy it . I used styles that I had programmed myself for all the songs on the DVD . It is a great instrument for sure and the kids are great inspiration . Sorry to mess up the thread folks.

I believe what impressed me the most, aside from the incredible performances by you, the acoustic guitar player and the kids, was how great the PA1X sounds, even though it has been superseded by the PA2X and PA3X...the newer ones may have different, and no doubt, improved voices (due to DNC), but the sounds you used were every bit as good as the equivalent sounds in the later Korg.

Your styles were very well programmed, also reinforcing what several of us have been saying here, in that knowing your instrument well allows for a lot of updating without needing to buy something newer.

Ian

#379098 - 12/22/13 01:23 PM Re: Tyros5 vs. PA3X: Sound & Style Comparison Shootout [Re: Scottyee]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
It still all boils down to the player...

A great player would probably make a 20 year old arranger sound better than an average home player on a T5 or PA3X.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online