SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#378963 - 12/21/13 08:57 AM No cord - No chords
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
It was happy hour at a large assisted living facility. I was just finishing setting up when I realized I did not have the power cord for my keyboard. I was momentarily panic stricken. As I regained my wits, I realized I had a laptop in the car with all the MP3s I use when DJing.

After a brief apology to the staff and residents I began to push the buttons with a variety of music, accent on Christmas.

What blew my mind...some people even applauded after a few of the songs. What else could I do but take a bow. smile

Eddie

#378976 - 12/21/13 09:52 AM Re: No cord - No chords [Re: btweengigs]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
I have been there many times no keyboard stand , how about a singer with out a mic well i have done that too it make for a long night .

#378978 - 12/21/13 09:58 AM Re: No cord - No chords [Re: btweengigs]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I got to an out-of-town job years ago and couldn't find the power cable to Tyros. Went to Radio Shack and got one. After I got back of course I found the other one.
Dean M and I got to another job about 50 miles away and I had forgotten the keyboard! I cranked up the laptop and sang with midi files while he played along on fiddle and electric piano. They loved it. I actually did the same thing at a local NH job and rather than go home and get the kb, I used the laptop. They didn't care. They just want to hear music!
You always have to have a backup in place for everything just in case nature, senility, stupidity, etc., decides to kick in.

#379003 - 12/21/13 01:08 PM Re: No cord - No chords [Re: btweengigs]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
So far I have a box on wheels with extra mics, extra speaker cables etc. So far a good habit of the keyboard cord in the keyboard case. My stress point is what happens if the Carvin Amp quits! Do you guys carry an extra sound system to your gigs. My keyboard does not contain speakers.

I guess ya just apologize and reschedule, or what?

#379008 - 12/21/13 01:37 PM Re: No cord - No chords [Re: btweengigs]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: btweengigs
It was happy hour at a large assisted living facility. I was just finishing setting up when I realized I did not have the power cord for my keyboard. I was momentarily panic stricken. As I regained my wits, I realized I had a laptop in the car with all the MP3s I use when DJing.

After a brief apology to the staff and residents I began to push the buttons with a variety of music, accent on Christmas.

What blew my mind...some people even applauded after a few of the songs. What else could I do but take a bow. smile

Eddie

you shouldn't have told them, just do your thing with the laptop.....a show is a show keys ....just do it good and entertain the audience,....btw I always carry two KB AC adapters anyway... singing to your own backing tracks is normal these days and beyond. The show must go on.. If needed I can do 4 hrs using only my cell phone, mic & a powered speaker wink lol

#379009 - 12/21/13 01:39 PM Re: No cord - No chords [Re: btweengigs]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
That's why I always refer to our breed of musicians as "Entertainers."

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#379011 - 12/21/13 01:57 PM Re: No cord - No chords [Re: btweengigs]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Boo, yes I always take two Bose Compacts. If one goes out, no problem, just plug both cords into the other one. Even before I had the Bose gear, I always took a backup pa along. I've been using two powered speakers for many years. If one goes out, just use the other one.
When you were here last time, we used two Barbetta Sona powered speakers.

#379019 - 12/21/13 02:23 PM Re: No cord - No chords [Re: btweengigs]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
TBH, I never want to play for a crowd that applauds just as much if I play an MP3 or whether I actually PLAY something...

Fortunately, so far (cross fingers) I never have.

#379024 - 12/21/13 02:39 PM Re: No cord - No chords [Re: btweengigs]
Tyrosman5
Unregistered

Hi,I join the "forgetit" guys. I played a senior home and as I set the speakers I suddenly found I had not brought the 1/4 "
cables for connecting both speakers. Luckily they were having a meal before I was to play so I jumped in the car, drove 12 miles to home, got the cables and drove back 12 miles to the home.
Yes, I broke the speed limit but thankfully got away with it
without getting caught. After that I checked very carefully
before I left on a job. Lloyd

#379025 - 12/21/13 02:42 PM Re: No cord - No chords [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
TBH, I never want to play for a crowd that applauds just as much if I play an MP3 or whether I actually PLAY something...

Fortunately, so far (cross fingers) I never have.

Just as much work goes into making custom MP3 backing tracks as if playing live ..... wink

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online