SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#378875 - 12/20/13 03:07 PM Re: The BIGGEST difference between OMB and : [Re: tony mads usa]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
As an entertainer who's had large bands, small combos, and now plays primarily as a solo - I found that I include my audience in my "energy pool" - we feed off each other - they tell me what to play by their actions, facial expressions, body language, etc. Yes, at times I miss the spontaneity that a rehearsed band can bring, but music IS music and wherever the inspiration comes from is the RIGHT PLACE. I have a few dates each month with a group of guys that are my seniors by 10-15 years (hard to imagine, right??), and I adore the role I get to play as supportive, rhythm player and vocalist. (I'm on guitar with this band).
So ... bands - YAY
Soloists - YAY
Hey, it's Christmas at my house .... best time of the year when there are little ones around.
Peace to all and to all ... goodnight.

#378878 - 12/20/13 03:13 PM Re: The BIGGEST difference between OMB and : [Re: tony mads usa]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Boo, you don't understand. I was the first chair trumpet player in the Oklahoma All-State concert band as a sophomore in high school. I could read anything, and play it if it was in my physical range. No doubt I'm out of practice, but it's something you don't forget.
Because you can read does not make you better, it makes you different from those that achieve success via other forms of music theory.
Personally, I hope I NEVER have to listen to 23 choruses of a song of any type, but particularly jazz. Also, limiting yourself to the notes someone else wrote as their interpretation of a song is not creative, although it certainly takes technical expertise.
Go play some jazz somewhere, I have to go play popular songs for MONEY! smile

#378883 - 12/20/13 03:25 PM Re: The BIGGEST difference between OMB and : [Re: DonM]
Happy Birthday tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
chas ... obviously, we could debate this for eternity, but if the guy WON the lottery with his last $5 it certainly seems like a good decision, perhaps not the BEST because of the odds, but it worked out ... if he didn't, it was a bad decision ...

I actually started feeling this way about decisions when I relocated to RI and people would ask me if it was a good decision - I said that I KNOW it wasn't a BAD decision because things worked out well ... had I relocated and gotten fired soon after and not found other employment, then it might have been a bad decision ...
I'll never know if it was the BEST decision, because I will never know what would have happened if I had stayed in NYC and found new employment there ...

Merry Christmas to you and your family, and Happy KWANZAA ...

#378888 - 12/20/13 04:14 PM Re: The BIGGEST difference between OMB and : [Re: tony mads usa]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
Merry Christmas to you and your family, and Happy KWANZAA ...

Thanks Tony, although I don't celebrate either. I always say Merry Christmas to those I KNOW to be of the Christian faith, just as I say Happy Hanukkah to those I KNOW to be of the Jewish faith. I only say Happy Holidays in cases where I'm not sure. As far as Kwanzaa goes, I've never been involved with that celebration. I don't think most African-Americans of my generation are as Afro-centric as some of the younger generation.

chas

chas

#378901 - 12/20/13 08:11 PM Re: The BIGGEST difference between OMB and : [Re: tony mads usa]
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
There is still a place for the OMB. Don Mason and Gary have seemed to have found it. I played in a 16 piece big band for 35 years. In the end I feel that no matter how good the arranger, it is still instant coffee in the end, entertaining but still instant coffee.

Tom

#378903 - 12/20/13 08:55 PM Re: The BIGGEST difference between OMB and : [Re: Tom Cavanaugh]
Happy Birthday tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Believe me Tom ... at this point in my career/life I have also found a place for OMB ... it provides a great outlet for my 'entertainer's ego' and brings in some income as well ... what is better than that? ...
I have to say I just LOVE the audience response to what I do ... having never tried drugs, it provides a high that even alcohol can't match ...

#378909 - 12/20/13 09:18 PM Re: The BIGGEST difference between OMB and : [Re: tony mads usa]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I actually have one of the very few OMB jobs in this entire area. We're a dying breed, I'm afraid! Nursing homes don't pay squat here. I'd rather go play free at a hospital or Veteran's home.
DonM

#378926 - 12/21/13 02:31 AM Re: The BIGGEST difference between OMB and : [Re: tony mads usa]
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
There's room for it all, as far as I am concerned.

The important thing for me is, don't imbue these machines with more than they actually have. There isn't an arranger made that is as good as a real band. Sure, you can make someone THINK it's as good, for a short time, but in the long run, it's boring for them, it's boring for you, and it's boring for your soul.

But people will pay well to be bored... LOL

A machine will never surprise you (in a good way, anyway!). A machine will never throw in a substitution you didn't think of. A machine will never tell you if you are off tonight (it helps, sometimes!). A machine will never help you move the PA! A machine will never tell you 'We just did a blues tune, let's not do another one!'. A machine will never lift you to play better than you ever did before.

Real players will. Yes, they'll infuriate you, they'll drink and smoke (as if you don't, LOL), they'll hit on the waitresses, they'll sometimes get too loud, too fast, too 'too'..! But just when you feel like giving up, you'll have one of the most sublime musical moments in your life, and all is forgiven.

That's what's wrong with machines... No emotion, for good OR bad. And music, if nothing else, is emotion. Separate music from the emotion that created it, what do you have left? A product.

Not art.

#378928 - 12/21/13 02:38 AM Re: The BIGGEST difference between OMB and : [Re: tony mads usa]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I think, at least for me, the important thing is if playing as an OMB is a "choice", and not necessarily a "have to" situation.

I could still find work in a band where no sequencers are used (or used very little) but I choose (and have chosen) not to as I'm tired of the bar scene.

The last group I played with was in Newfoundland, back in the early 90's, with a seven piece Rock and Roll Show, and we did all concerts and no bar work whatsoever.

But, to return to doing bar gigs? The offer would have to be pretty sweet before that will happen.

Ian

#378930 - 12/21/13 02:47 AM Re: The BIGGEST difference between OMB and : [Re: tony mads usa]
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Just finished doing six days a week with a four piece this summer (on my G70, of course!). Pretty much the best players in the area.

They drove me crazy... But I'd rather play with them than do a solo. I'd drive ME crazy, and then there's no-one left to get mad at! I'd fire myself if I didn't need someone to move the gear..! LOL

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online