SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#379168 - 12/23/13 08:41 AM Re: I never hear this one covered. [Re: Tom Cavanaugh]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Dave, I just do em as I hear em. So, when you're old and deaf as a post like me, give it a shot, you may be surprised at the results. I gave it MY best, which is all I have to offer.

Now, the chords on Chordie are much different that those on Wikipedia, and I obviously couldn't tighten my shorts enough to sing the song in the original chords. Therefore, I had to transpose to a chord where it fit my vocal range. That alone makes a huge difference. Now, I have always loved that particular song by Karen, and I am fully aware that she alone OWNS that song. However, during the past two weeks, every audience I've performed the song in front of absolutely love MY rendition. Lots of applause, hugs and kisses from the ladies, young and old, pats on the shoulder from the guys - so I must be doing something right.

I rarely perform My Way, but frequently do As Time Goes By. When I do My Way, I usually get a standing "O" for that one. When Time Goes By, usually brings a lot of folks out of the woodwork to sing along with me - they always love that one.

Thanks for the accolades everyone and have a Very Merry Christmas,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (12/23/13 08:44 AM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#379179 - 12/23/13 09:02 AM Re: I never hear this one covered. [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

#379244 - 12/23/13 04:32 PM Re: I never hear this one covered. [Re: ianmcnll]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
The downloadable fake book style arrangement available on Wikifonia has the most accurate chords compared to what's on Chordie and others. Having the chords closest to what Richard carpenter used will make it sound the best, and make it even easier to sing over.
You can transpose to any key.
I believe the lyrics are there as well, so you don't really have to read music to use it.
It's a great tune for sure, and a real Christmas classic.
Ian

I just finally had a chance to try this tune... I did not try it with the 'on bass' feature, but even still I have to agree with Ian that lacking the Major 7 chords (which I love using) that 'chordie' doesn't show makes the song lose a lot IMHO ... especially when I use the 'block chord' ensemble feature ... this really IS a Christmas classic that unfortunately (from what I hear) has not gotten the airplay it deserves ...
Before NEXT Christmas (God willing and the river don't rise - as they say) I probably will lay down a backing track midi or mp3 file on the KORG using the 'on bass' feature and play over it ... I'll sing it also if I can get to practice it enough ...
BTW ... I have used 'chordie' and 'Wikifonia' quite a bit and have had to make chord adjustments with both from time to time, but they CERTAINLY are a resource to at least get you going in the right direction ...

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online