SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#378598 - 12/18/13 12:52 PM Re: Kids dont want arrangers for todays music... [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Squeak, my apologies if I have already asked you this...

Have you tried the Casio PX-5S?

I'm strongly thinking of getting one to use to compliment my Tyros4, so I'm wondering if you have had a chance to try one out?

There are none here at our local music store, but I'm planning a trip to the mainland after the worst of the winter, so I'll be able to see one then.

It has some awesome features (arpeggiator, 4-zone controller capabilities, phrase sequencer etc.), and the price seems very, very reasonable for what you get. Plus it sounds incredible in the demos at least.

Lots of real time tweaks via knobs and sliders and a great feeling 88 note weighted keyboard, so you could do your piano stuff in style.

Dreamer, here on SZ, has one and loves it, and I have heard a lot of other positive reviews on other forums as well.

What do ya think?

Ian

#378622 - 12/18/13 02:24 PM Re: Kids dont want arrangers for todays music... [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Squeak, I don't play what you refer to as "modern music" for a very good reason. No one, young or old, and by young I mean 30 to 45 years of age, ever requested a modern song. Maybe it's just the places I play, or the type of audiences I attract, but sorry, no one seems to ask for anything remotely resembling the demos. When I played the resorts, Tiki Bars, Marina Restaurants, etc... down in the Florida Keys, it was Jimmy Buffett, Country/Western, light rock, and a smattering of Bob Marley - that's it! Up here, it's pretty much the same, and of course, this time of year, traditional and not so traditional Christmas songs.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#378628 - 12/18/13 02:52 PM Re: Kids dont want arrangers for todays music... [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I do have some request from kids with their parents, but never from adults. I'm not in the right venues I suppose.
If circumstances demand (read large tip), I will play the original from the laptop or sometimes directly from youtube.

#378663 - 12/18/13 07:13 PM Re: Kids dont want arrangers for todays music... [Re: ianmcnll]
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Ian.., yeah I think we discussed it not long ago. I've talked to many owners on YouTube and I've yet to find one that doesn't rave about that board. Casio really hit a home run with that unit IMO.

It's great to see Casio getting back into the game. After the death of the CZ series.., many of us thought we'd never see Casio come back. Their current synth models and that new PX5S have caused a great deal of excitement in the keyboard community.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#378913 - 12/21/13 12:50 AM Re: Kids dont want arrangers for todays music... [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Gary, LOL

I honestly think that the kids aren't asking for something modern because they don't want to hear it... after all THEY put these songs into the Top 40! Song wouldn't sell if they didn't buy it...

But no kid is going to go up to someone older than their grandparents and ask you to do some Daft Punk, or Katy Perry! Give them some credit for being able to figure what YOU can pull off, and asking for something appropriate!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online