SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#378209 - 12/14/13 04:31 PM Ya never know ...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
... who you are going to meet ...
... so Thursday I’m playing a gig at a senior housing complex ... while I am setting up a guy comes in and is checking out my keyboard ... I ask if he plays and he said he used to have an older model KORG ... then he proceeds to tell me that his name is Gerry Granahan and he had a career in music – had a couple of hit records, was a producer, etc. ... he said he recorded under the name of Dickey Doo and the Don’ts ... I thought I remembered the name so I had to look it up and sure enough ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfTVrMbfCjk

How they got to record under that name is kind of interesting:
http://www.allmusic.com/artist/dicky-doo-the-donts-mn0000260330/biography

So like I said - "Ya never know" rocker

Edited by tony mads usa (12/14/13 04:32 PM)

#378214 - 12/14/13 07:48 PM Re: Ya never know ... [Re: tony mads usa]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
That's neat. I've had similar experiences on several occasions.
Last week I was in Target and ran into Hal Sutton. I asked him how his game was, and he proceeded to tell me about a recent hip replacement, and said he expects to be back better than ever. I told him Gary's line about getting old not being for sissies.
He's my hero . . . not just for the golf but he's had WAY more wives than I have. :}

#378225 - 12/15/13 02:18 AM Re: Ya never know ... [Re: tony mads usa]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Tony,

Great story! With the last name Granahan and in RI, gotta wonder whether he's related to the local newscaster/radio talk show host Tara Granahan?

#378226 - 12/15/13 02:28 AM Re: Ya never know ... [Re: DonM]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: DonM

Last week I was in Target and ran into Hal Sutton. I asked him how his game was, and he proceeded to tell me about a recent hip replacement, and said he expects to be back better than ever. I told him Gary's line about getting old not being for sissies.
He's my hero . . . not just for the golf but he's had WAY more wives than I have. :}

Ummm is that what your wife thinks too lol wink ???

#378227 - 12/15/13 02:31 AM Re: Ya never know ... [Re: Stephenm52]
nbnserge Offline

great story for sure ... you never know
if it happen to me, I prefer to know after the gig because if I know one of my "hero" is watching and listening in the audience, I could not play very well with shaking hands and feet

#378234 - 12/15/13 07:27 AM Re: Ya never know ... [Re: tony mads usa]
DonM Offline

Back in the late 70's I was right in the middle of "Almost Like A Song" and Ronnie Milsap walked in. I nearly swallowed the mic. I wasn't very good back then. Of course I didn't know it at the time. Now I KNOW I'm not very good. smile He was very gracious btw.
In recent years Kix Brooks, Joe Stampley, WILLIE NELSON, and others have come in. Not to see me, mind you, but it's the best place in the area to eat. There have also been some rock and pop groups who were supposed to be somebody big but I didn't recognize them.
Thing is, all these people are just ordinary folks like us. Willie was the nicest of all. He was letting people go out and tour his bus if they wanted.

#378253 - 12/15/13 11:36 AM Re: Ya never know ... [Re: Stephenm52]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By: Stephenm52
Tony,

Great story! With the last name Granahan and in RI, gotta wonder whether he's related to the local newscaster/radio talk show host Tara Granahan?

I believe it is his daughter ...

Originally Posted By: nbnserge
great story for sure ... you never know
if it happen to me, I prefer to know after the gig because if I know one of my "hero" is watching and listening in the audience, I could not play very well with shaking hands and feet

One highlight for me was when I was working weekends in the piano lounge at this upscale Italian restaurant ... I would leave my gear set up on Friday and on Saturday I was walking through the restaurant to the lounge and who do I see but Jerry Vale having dinner with his family - his daughter lived in the next town over - Later he came into the lounge with his young grandson and listened for a while ... man was I nervous ... but as he left he said to me "Nice job, thank you ..."

http://www.palmspringslife.com/Palm-Springs-Life/Whispering-Palms/Jerry-Vale-A-Singer-s-Life/

#378461 - 12/17/13 09:53 AM Re: Ya never know ... [Re: tony mads usa]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Like Don, I play in several places which are visited by celebrities.

Favorites include Rosemary Clooney, the year she died. She was with her brother, Nick, who had been a Lexington TV personality in the 60's.

Others included the Who (Entwistle played much better guitar than Townsend), Bob Seger, Lou Rawls (the best sit-in, by far), Perry Como, Chick Corea, Janice Ian, The Everly Brothers, Tony Bennett, Johnny Mathis, Johnny Rivers, Kenny Rankin, James Brown and many, many others.

Worst was David Lee Roth (UGH)!

Never felt intimidated; just less lucky. Was comfortable playing behind most, with a minutes notice, and did many times. Most are doing 50 shows a year; identical to the second, and love the chance to sit in.

Best "sit in group" was a couple of guys from from Blood Sweat and Tears.

Great players!

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (12/17/13 09:54 AM)

#378488 - 12/17/13 01:39 PM Re: Ya never know ... [Re: tony mads usa]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Russ, you never know. Don Mason or me could show up somewhere that you're playing - talk about infamous people - Wow!

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#378493 - 12/17/13 01:51 PM Re: Ya never know ... [Re: tony mads usa]
124 Offline

Doing the odd (well, not that odd :)) session in London during the late 60’s/early 70’s, I worked with a few good 'uns. Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Clem Cattini, Chris Spedding, among other lesser-known but equally able players. The producer would change things on the fly and none of these guys would turn a hair. And, to a man, all great guys to work with. I miss those days.

#378512 - 12/17/13 06:03 PM Re: Ya never know ... [Re: 124]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By: 124
Doing the odd (well, not that odd :)) session in London during the late 60’s/early 70’s, I worked with a few good 'uns. Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Clem Cattini, Chris Spedding, among other lesser-known but equally able players. The producer would change things on the fly and none of these guys would turn a hair. And, to a man, all great guys to work with. I miss those days.

WOW ...

#378520 - 12/17/13 09:24 PM Re: Ya never know ... [Re: tony mads usa]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
A lot of people forget that Jimmy Page was one of London's busiest session players back before he got big...

#378521 - 12/17/13 09:55 PM Re: Ya never know ... [Re: tony mads usa]
DonM Offline

I was about to brag about knowing Jimmy Page and knowing his sister even better, but I realized just in time that I was thinking about Jimmy Day! Famous pedal steel pioneer. The stage name for my new band is: Senility!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online