SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#378092 - 12/13/13 01:32 PM Korg Pa900 & Yamaha PSR S950 - the wise choice
nbnserge Offline

After watching a lot of demos, I think the wise choice pour somebody who wants the best of both worlds actually is
Korg pa900 + yamaha psr-s950
Even buying these two keyboards , it costs you less than a Tyros.

It is the choice that the person on the video has made without doubt.
We could see a PA900 on top and the S950 at the bottom on the keyboard stand.
The music is really inspiring but very oriental too.
Very good and strange sounds played on the Pa900

I made a post on my web site : KORG PA900 NEW ORIENTAL SOLO
If someone is interested , to watch the video and read the comments
link to my web site is in my signature.

#378093 - 12/13/13 01:43 PM Re: Korg Pa900 & Yamaha PSR S950 - the wise choice [Re: nbnserge]
Bachus Offline

I will be checking it out

http://keyszone.boards.net

#378099 - 12/13/13 03:52 PM Re: Korg Pa900 & Yamaha PSR S950 - the wise choice [Re: nbnserge]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Until the arranger manufacturers standardize the codes for arranger operation, combining a Yamaha and a Korg (or really, any two at random) into one is an exercise in frustration. Sure, easy enough to have one do the style, and the other do the RH sounds, but the idea cries out for say the bass line from the Yamaha style, combined with the style guitar part from the Korg (or vice versa!), and a layer of the two for a RH sound.

That's just about close to impossible, right now.

We need standardization of the codes to select fills, Variations, Intros and Endings, Breaks and Break/Fills, transposition and a few other things at the very least. At the moment, there is zero compatibility between manufacturers on these common to ALL features.

Until we get them, combining two arrangers is a crippled duck.

#378147 - 12/14/13 02:35 AM Re: Korg Pa900 & Yamaha PSR S950 - the wise choice [Re: Diki]
nbnserge Offline

Personnally I don't need strict compatibility between two or more instruments.
What I am looking for is the complementarity : play the chords with backing and voices on the Yamaha and the melody on the Korg for example. Some styles on the Korg are really great do not exist on the yamaha.
But that's just my personal opinion

#378151 - 12/14/13 03:15 AM Re: Korg Pa900 & Yamaha PSR S950 - the wise choice [Re: nbnserge]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Diki is correct about Intros endings etc. along with all the other bells and whistles manufactures have built into their styles, however if you know Midi and can interpret the implementation chart at the back of the arranger manual, using different sounds from different boards in a style is reasonably straight forward. (Just make sure you have a good grounding of Midi first)

I recommend you have a read here as once you grasp it, it will not seem so daunting.

Hope this helps

Bill

#378265 - 12/15/13 12:53 PM Re: Korg Pa900 & Yamaha PSR S950 - the wise choice [Re: nbnserge]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Sorry, Bill, but that isn't quite right. Unless you control BOTH arrangers from a third master keyboard, or use a laptop or computer to convert one kind of message into another, then resend it (not for the faint of heart!), basically, no arranger allows you to user define either the sent codes or the received codes.

So, if one arranger can't send the codes the other one wants to see, it's a no go.

While Korg and Roland tend to do most of these Division things with PC/CC's, Yamaha have chosen to use sys-ex for much of it. And even Roland and Korg have chosen quite different PC/CC's for each function, so, with no way to alter them in the arrangers themselves, there is simply NO WAY to hook two arrangers together and have them work as one.

It's actually quite a small amount of effort that needs to be taken by the manufacturers to implement this (and a fairly simple task to have the old system and the new standardized system switchable, so if you want to run a legacy Yamaha from a modern Yamaha, for instance, it would still work), but a HUGE improvement for us as players if it was done.

But only a concerted shout out for it from owners like us is likely to bring it about. While it might be cool simply to be able to put the RH sounds from another arranger on the upper end on another arranger, this is so basic and easily done (and any other type of keyboard or VSTi is just as useful as another arranger, if not better!), it is a tragedy that more complete integration or arranger operation isn't possible.

Imagine your massive increase in customization if, not only could you play one arranger's RH sounds from the other, but the master arranger could play the style into the destination arranger too (if it had a better sound), or even have two DIFFERENT styles running at the same time, and pick and chose which Parts get played by which arranger..!

Now that's some SERIOUS arranger power!

All it takes are a few codes. Contact YOUR arranger manufacturer. Demand this!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online