SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#37791 - 06/09/00 11:36 AM Recording & releasing music done exclusively on the Roland VS-880
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've been recording and releasing music done totally on the VS-880(actually two 880s) I think it's a fantastic machine for low bucks.
If you would like to hear just some of what I believe this recorder is capable of, you can listen all you want for free to my material at http://mp3.com/TheBottomFeeders I would be happy to correspond, share information and answer questions regarding getting the best out of this machine.
Andrew

#37792 - 06/12/00 03:38 PM Re: Recording & releasing music done exclusively on the Roland VS-880
Chris Attison Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY.
Hi Andrew,

Yes the 880 is a nice piece of equipment, Ive been using it for about 3 months now.
The only thing I dont like about it is the internal effects so I use outside effects processors.

#37793 - 06/13/00 07:22 AM Re: Recording & releasing music done exclusively on the Roland VS-880
greenie Offline

Loc: Shepherdstown, WV, USA
I've had my eye on this thing since it came out...I'm just biding my time until I have the bucks to get one. I feel that my music has finally matured to the point that I can produce my own CD, and the VS-880 looks like the best home recording solution for my needs.

How easy is it to use? Is the effects card worth getting? (I already have two cheap but effective multiprocessors...) Does it work well in a live situation? I am involved with a purely improvisational music project, and it would be nice to get quality recordings of our jams.

Man, just play devil's advocate and tell me to buy the thing. Please.

#37794 - 06/15/00 05:31 AM Re: Recording & releasing music done exclusively on the Roland VS-880
Animaniac Offline

Loc: Coventry,WM,England
Ha,

I am about to buy it RIGHT NOW! It's the worst machine in terms of user interface. I havent ever seen anything worst or even close to THAT interface.
BUT, there is a big BUT.

It sounds nice,
it records on 8 channels
it is portable
it 's becoming cheap
It will solve my 1 million leads problems making my bedroom studio small and portable (instead of having external effects units + cables, separate recorder +cables)

Combine that with computer control software that makes editing easy piezie and you have an 8 channel portable studio for recording , a mixer, and crisp sound quality plus effects .

Record on location, take it back home hook it up on the computer and it becomes more user friendly than the 1880!

i hope i 've said enough.

...or maybe should i go for the 1680?? ha!!

#37795 - 06/16/00 11:12 AM Re: Recording & releasing music done exclusively on the Roland VS-880
VFChris Offline

Loc: Acworth, GA USA
Actually, I jsut bought the 1880 a few weeks ago, and found it pretty easy to use. Unfortunately, the Logic VS disk that came with it was cracked, so I haven't interfaced it yet.

#37796 - 06/16/00 10:43 PM Re: Recording & releasing music done exclusively on the Roland VS-880
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Anyone want a BRAND NEW VS1680 (expanded) for a great price??? Come to the buy & sell forum!

------------------
Uncle Dave

#37797 - 06/21/00 12:33 PM Re: Recording & releasing music done exclusively on the Roland VS-880
Roel Offline

Hi,

I am using the VS880 EXP since 1997 (?) and still think it is the best invention of the last 10 years.
The user interface is sooo easy and it only takes a few hours to get used to the menu structure.
The FX board(s) sound very good, the overall sound is perfect.
The VS machines are compact and offer plenty of options ..... great machine !!

Roel

#37798 - 06/21/00 04:13 PM Re: Recording & releasing music done exclusively on the Roland VS-880
Chris Attison Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY.
I guess Im the only one who thinks the 880's effects soundy shitty.

But yes, it is easy to use. One thing I wish that could be done is to have the ability to record at different sample rates from track to track, and be able to change the sample rate from 48 to 44. I hope maybe one day, technology will allow that to happen.

#37799 - 06/26/00 08:37 PM Re: Recording & releasing music done exclusively on the Roland VS-880
Wilkes Offline

Loc: Wilkesboro, NC, USA
I just bought an 1880 and was pleasantly surprised with how easy it was to sync to my sequencer and begin recording. I'm only familiar with the machine on a very superficial level so far, though. I know a lot of people disagree, but I like the looks of the 1880 and the already-released-in-Europe 890 better than the old gray 1680 and 880EX; they look way better than their pictures online would indicate.

Animaniac: (addendum to your post)"...more user-friendly than the 1880" until the 1880 is hooked up to the computer and you're trying to get those 8 (ahem...stereo) tracks mixed down to 2! Of course, you'll be spending the $700 you saved on something really cool, eh?!

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online